My Green Day Adventures (True Stories)

San Francisco show

I've been dying to get to this chapter, because from here on is where everything better.

I skipped school the day of the San Francisco show so I could wait outside the Bill Grams Civic Center. Mom was planning on coming down after work. This time Andrea and her boyfriend, Mike (coincidentally) came with me to the show, which I think brought me some good luck.

I once again wore my ripped up shirt. I communicated with Andrea and Mike. I was especially excited this time, since they were playing at home, for them and me. I figured maybe they'd do something "special" or something.

Mom came and we our usual routine except with two extra people. I think by now you know how it goes.

Anyway Green Day seemed to have an extra spark and more energy in them playing at home. Billie Joe addressed it many times saying "It's good to be home" and everything. Then came the fateful moment of picking of the musicians for "Knowledge".

He picked a drummer. Then came the time of picking a bass player.

"I need a bass player who here can play bass?" Billie said asking our side of the audience. Next thing I know Mom pulls out a sign that says "Bad ass guitar player and bass player" and they have everyone pointing to pick me. Billie Joe looks at me and goes

"Can you play bass?"

I nodded in shock

"Are you really fucking good? How long have you been playing?"

"2 years," I managed to say.

"Do you swear on your fucking life? I mean do you swear to god?" he questioned.

I nodded once again in assurance.

"Get your ass up here!" he commanded.

Next thing I know a guard (Who Mom and I later came close with named Art) lifts me over and I'm on the stage. The audience is applauding and I approached Mike Dirnt. My legs felt like jell-o and I could feel my body shaking. the adrenaline was driving me mad, but I liked it. Mike showed me the bass line, and then asked

"Wanna give it a go?"

I nodded.

Next thing I know he's putting the strap from his bass around my body and handed me the pick he was playing with. I had never played bass with a pick, I always played with my fingers. I didn't want to question anything and look like an idiot. My shaking hand took it and at first I screwed up using the pick, but knew what to do. After that I instantly got it. The crowd cheered and the adrenaline began to ease. Mike looked at me and smiled and said

"Your pretty good."

I manged to say "Thanks"

Billie picked the guitarist and I was with my temporary band.

During my few minutes of being on stage with Green Day I completely forgot I was there. I remember looking down at the ground going "This floor is shiny" and then looking at my pulverized converse high tops, which consisted with holes and writing saying "Man I need new shoes, but I don't want new shoes." (I hate new things) Then I looked up and saw thousand's of people surrounding me and I seemed to come back to reality and went "Holy crap I'm on stage with Green Day playing "Knowledge". My mom, Andrea, and Mike were giving me a thumbs up.

The song was over and I handed the bass back to Mike. I went to hand the pick back, and he told me to keep it. He told me to go wait by the side of the stage with the drummer. I was standing next to Jason White, who told myself and the drummer we did a good job. Also next to me on the other side was Joey and Jakob (Billie's two sons) I stood there as the guitarist was in shock to find out that the guitar Billie and himself had played was now his.

I was letting everything sit in. I had the biggest smile on my face and kept saying "Oh my god I just played on stage with Green Day. I played Mike Dirnt's bass. I talked Mike Dirnt." As those thoughts were crossing my mind I hear

"Let's get that bass player out here for a stage dive."

Next thing I knew Billie Joe comes over and motions me to come over to him. He puts his arm around me as we walk kind of towards Tre's drum set. I was just as tall if not smidge taller then him and he had his goth creepers on.

"Alright now your going to do a stage dive. When I say go I want you to jump off stage. Try not kick anyone in the face or anything, and be careful not to trip or anything, because we had that happen before." he said kindly.

"Alright." I said.

He ran back out in front of me and counted to three and told me to go. I did as I was told and jumped out into the crowd.

Everyone congratulated me and said I was sick bass player.

I gradually made my way back up to my mom, Andrea, and Mike. They congratulated me and Mike (Dirnt) even gave me thumbs up. The rest of the show owned and I felt like the luckiest person in the world.

As we left Bill Gram Civic Center random people kept coming up to me saying I did great. This one guy even gave me his number asking if I wanted to play bass in his band, which was weird, but still cool.

That marked my second meeting with Mike and once for Billie too I guess. Next show though consisted of Las Vegas, threats of being thrown out of a hotel, hiding, gambling, and you'll find out.