My Name Is Coraline. Someone's Trying to Kill Me. But You Can Call Me Corrie.

One

”My name is Coraline. Someone’s trying to kill me. But you can call me Corrie.

That’s a good first introduction of myself, isn’t it?

But that is the truth…
I live in Baltimore in Cork, Ireland. Actually, I live close to Baltimore, not really in it.
People consider my family as a noble one, and I can’t disagree; though I hate my life here at the Deacour Mansion.”


I wrote the first sentences in my new diary before there was a discreet knock on my door. Mom.

”Coraline, get up! There’s breakfast in ten minutes.” I heard her walk away, down the corridor and down the stairs.

Yes, mother… I came home from town about four hours ago, I’ve been up for quite some time now… I thought and put the diary in my desk drawer, shoved my feet into my fuzzy pink slippers and pretended to be tired when I walked down the stairs to the hall, down the corridor and and into our huge dining room. There was portraits of my great granddad, great great grandmother and loads of other dead Deacours. I don’t think that I’ll end up on these walls, my family dislikes me. I didn’t turn out they way they wanted me too.

I seemed to be the last one to enter the dining room; my dad Terrence, his sisters Allie, Irma and Charity and their brother Josh, Allie’s husband Terry and their son Joaquin, my mom Heidi and my grandparents Tecla and Donald and Tecla's siblings Inez, Otto and Karl. That’s a crap load of people at one table.
Mom gasped when she saw me, the others just glanced rudely at me.

”Coraline! Why aren’t you dressed? You are not having any breakfast when you’re wearing that awful pajamas! Off you go.”

”Whatever you say, mom…” I mumbled. Josh blinked at me quickly before I turned around and walked up the stairs to my room.
PJ:s? I looked down at what I’d put on when I came home a couple of hours ago. A white tank top with light pink stripes and my Superman boxers. No wonder why I got told off, but Caleb thought it was hot when he followed me into my room earlier.
I pulled off the top and put on a tight, short-sleeved black t-shirt with the print of a white skull and a pair of ripped dark blue jeans.
I combed my long black hair (of course it’s dyed) and pulled it into a high, loose bun with short pieces of hair falling around my face, applied some black eyeliner to my eyes together with a lot of bronze eyeshadow and followed with loads of messy clumps of black mascara to my lashes and put some foundation on the hickey Caleb left on my neck.
I decided to put on some bright red lipstick too, and snapped my black, studded leather belt around my waist and looked at myself in the full-length mirror on the wall next to the door.
Not bad at all! This would piss them off even more, I thought and jumped down the stairs, being as loud as possible.

”Good morning,” I said cheerily as I sat down between Josh and mom.

No one answered, they just sighed when they saw my outfit and preceded eating their french omelets.
I poked Josh’s shoulder and smirked at him, and he smiled at me too.
Josh and I are like the black sheep of the family; he’s a good twenty-three years older than me but we can tell each other everything. I’m the only one who knows that he’s gay. He’d be kicked out before anybody could say ”fucking fag” if say Tecla knew about it.

”Did you have a good night sleeping?” he asked and winked. He knew I’d been out all night with Libbie, Aspeth and Caleb.

”Sure I did”, I replied, ”I had this weird dream about me having a boyfriend, and then we went out to this club in a city and danced all night long.”

Josh smirked at me and handed me a piece of rye bread and the cream cheese jar.

As soon as I’d finished my breakfast, I scurried up the stairs again to my room, closed the door and locked it from the inside, put on music (Iron Maiden) on a really high volume and began writing in my diary again.

”G’day.

Should I start with a more detailed introduction of mice-elf, perhaps?
As you already know, my name’s Corrie and I’m seventeen. I turn eighteen in two weeks, the 21st of July. I’ll get back to that later, first some random info about me! I’m a girl, after all…

- I love music, especially punk and metal! I’m listening to Maiden right now.

- I like to party, dance and to draw and photographing. I asked Mom once if they could hang my portrait of Josh in the dining hall and she freaked. I wonder why!

- I have a boyfriend, Caleb. He’s two years older than me, and my family knows about him, and they’re furious about it. But what can they do?
Caleb is my everything. He’s so gorgeous, tall and with this hot, slender body and intense green eyes. I’ll add more about him later, I’ll fill up all the pages if I’d go on about him!
But I have to say this, we’re getting married August 2nd!

- I use correction fluid as nail polish

- My two best friends are Libbie and Aspeth. I met them through Caleb years ago; they are the only ones I truly trust. And Josh, of course.

- Hayley Williams, Bruce Dickinson and Ozzy Osbourne are like, my heroes.

- Someone’s still trying to kill me.

And about that…
The thing is that when I turn eighteen, I will earn everything. The mansion, the Deacour Lake, all the money and basically everything that stands in the Deacour name. And since I’m a girl, the Deacours will fade away and I will be the last one and change my last name when I marry Caleb.
According to the Deacour tradition, the earner must be the firstborn child of the oldest child to the oldest yada yada yada. Bingo, that’s me!
Everybody hates me for being a girl. My parents were about to make an abortion when they found out, but it was too late (it’s not very pleasant to know about it).
The reason why somebody in the house is trying to murder me is simple. With me out of the way, Joaquin will automatically become the heir because he’s a male and Allie’s the second oldest. Joaquin doesn’t know about all this, he’s just nine years old. Poor kid.

As you probably understand, I’ll be dead within two weeks.
I’ll have to watch my back… Sounds dramatic, doesn’t it?


”Coraline! Turn that down, it’s only nine thirty, for Christ’s sake!”

It’s unbelievable. I could hear Mom shouting from the dining hall, through my music.

I turned it down a little.

Bringing your daughter, fetch your daughter, bringing your daughter to the slaughter…

I still have some time to fill up a few pages in my diary before Caleb’ll pick me up…
How about a short description of everybody in my family and plausible killers?
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter up...
How come I get 20 comments on my fanfic (the one that sucks so bad) and one comment on my other fic which is so much better?
Please. Comments mean the world to me!

xoxo Zephyr