Fremantle Line

Sun Dance

"Hey Matt!"

The words echoed in my ears as I turned around only see the one girl I’d been missing. Nyk ran from the train station, her smile brought sweet promise to my heart. Her short hair shined in the radiance of the sun, and her figure…she was beautiful. The sun began to rise as the morning progressed, its warmth lighting the market buildings of Fremantle. It was mid morning when we exchanged pleasantries and continued to the food court.
The food court consisted of an emptied out warehouse that housed several independent food shops, a cafe in the left corner, an arcade in the right and behind everything were small odd-ends shops with everything short of a bargain. The floors were tiled a faded yellow turning white; with metal chairs and tables running up and down it.

"How are you?" She said, hugging me tightly.

“Good, well now anyway,” I replied finding great difficulty to take the smile from my face.

“Its been so long, I missed you,” she said, hugging tighter.

“I know…” I say lifting her up, she laughs and kicks “…where have you been woman?”

“Put me down, put me down,” she says, still laughing.

“Not until you tell me,” I say, my face buried against her.

“Yes, yes, just put me down.” She is still smiling.

"So what are you doing here?" she said leaning across the table.

"I'm seeing Gracie," I replied. "You?"

"Aw no reason in particular, just cruisin' through. I can't believe what happened last night though." She said looking back again at the ocean. "Place is shit."

"Yeah, I haven't really thought about it, and I don't think I really want too."

"Well that makes two of us."

There was a pause.

"How is he?" I asked.

"I don't know, I mean after last night I've been kinda worried, and...well I'm supposed to meet him soon."

"Yeah, well don't worry about, I know him, and I know you and you know what that means."

"What?"

"I don't know I just thought it sounded cool."

She laughed so hard she looked like she was about to fall out of the chair.

"I like that," I said smiling lightly.

"What?"

"Your laugh," I said, smile on my face. My fingers move back down towards the silver case in my left pocket. She doesn't…

"You want a coffee?" I ask.

"Long black."

"Sure thing babe."

I move out of the picture, my finger twitches and scratches at the little dent in my jeans. The black shirt was probably the cause of the sweat, yeah that's it. Just the sun being the light of my fucking day.

The coffee was good, and we talk about…stuff. She picks up and leaves, I am sweating like a pig, great…Grace will love this. She waves one more time before disappearing into a sea of people.

My hand rips at the left pocket pulling out the silver container. I open it and find three tiny little time travels…I take one, light it, sit back and inhale. Smoke puffs from my mouth in rings, and I watch it fade away into the sunlight.

"Matt?"

The voice is distant, but oh too familiar. I turn around and look, I quickly turn back very shocked.