I Would Follow You Anywhere

Part III

“So what did Lily say when you told her we were moving?” my brother Jason asked me. My parents were discussing some moving details in the front seat, and didn’t pay us any attention.

“Nothing,” I mumbled, not wanting to expand.

“Nothing?” he repeated teasingly.

“Nothing because I didn’t tell her,” I finished, so he would leave me alone.

“You didn’t tell her?” he demanded incredulously. “You didn’t tell your girlfriend you were moving?” He shook his head at me. “Wow. You’re even stupider than I thought.”

“She’s not my girlfriend!” I yelled, shoving him. He shoved me right back. “And I’m not stupid!” He put me in an uncomfortable headlock. “Ow! Stop it! Mom!”

“Jason, let go of your brother,” my mom commanded, finally turning around. “You’re almost sixteen, for Pete’s sake!” Jason let my head go.

“He doesn’t have to be such a baby.” I crossed my arms and sat as far away from him as possible in the cramped backseat. Jason just smirked.

He really knew how to make me feel crappy.

******************************************

“What are you doing?” William asked me, appearing in the kitchen doorway. I glanced up to see my brother standing beside him.

I was in the middle of wrapping a present, but couldn’t answer them because I was holding a roll of tape in my mouth as I crookedly cut the wrapping paper.

“Nbmthng,” I mumbled, going back to cutting. Jason gave me a funny look.

“What?” Bill asked, taking the roll from my mouth. He grimaced; the tape was now practically covered in my saliva. He set it aside.

“Nothing,” I repeated, wiping the roll on my shirt. Jason shook his head at me.

“Doesn’t look like nothing,” he piped up. I ignored him and starting taping the paper onto the box containing the present.

“That’s kind of disgusting,” William informed me, making that face when his nose wrinkles and his eyebrows move closer together.

“There,” I said triumphantly, holding up the poorly wrapped box. Jason laughed at me, so I shot him a dirty look.

“Who’s it for?” William asked.

“Whoever it is, I feel bad for them,” Jason joked.

“Lily,” I answered, hoping they wouldn’t pry. Of course, that’s just what they did.

“Who?” William asked, completely confused.

“Lily…” Jason began thoughtfully. “Wait. You mean your girlfriend before we moved?”

“Dude! She was never my girlfriend!” I exclaimed in annoyance, unsure why I was still touchy about it after all these years.

“When did you start talking to her again?” he asked, eyebrows raised.

“I didn’t. Mom ran into her mom at the store, and she invited me, alright?” I told him defensively. I picked up the gift and headed for the doorway. “I’m late,” I said, excusing myself.

I didn’t mention how she had slammed the door in my face just yesterday.