I Would Follow You Anywhere

Part VII

I glanced around my now empty room. All my things were packed up and in the moving van.

I was fifteen, a sophomore in high school.

I was hesitant about leaving.

It was my last tie to my old life, as dramatic as it sounds. My last tie to my old best friend, even though we were only moving to a nicer house on the other side of the neighborhood.

On the other hand, I kind of wanted to forget about that.

“Lily!” my dad called from downstairs. “It’s time to leave!”

“I’m coming!” I yelled back. I left after one more sweeping glance around the room.

How would Adam find me now?

Assuming he ever wanted to, that is.
***************************************

I left work after my shift, dreading what I would see as I walked out the door.

“Not you again,” I groaned. He was there again, waiting by his car. It was the fifth time this week. You would think he would have gotten the message by now.

“Lily,” he said, smiling before opening the passenger side door for me.

“Sisky,” I muttered back. Despite my attempts, I had fallen into the habit of calling him by his nickname. He just grinned wider, pleased.

He began driving and I begrudgingly offered a thanks for the ride, even though I didn’t want it in the first place. He beamed.

“Where are we going?” I asked slowly, when he didn’t take the usual turn to my apartment. He didn’t respond for a minute.

“We are going to my place,” he said suddenly.

“No, I am going home,” I stated. He stared straight ahead. “Adam-” I began warningly. He hummed a little to tune me out. “You take me home, Adam!” I demanded loudly.

He ignored me as he drove with that stupid smile on his face. I eventually stopped demanding and instead glared sideways at him until he parked.

He got out of the car while I stayed put, with my arms crossed pointedly. He opened my door.

“You know there’s a name for this,” I told him. He stared at me, frowning quizzically.

“What are you talking about?”

“It’s called kidnapping,” I informed him.

“Come on, Lily,” he pleaded, trying to pull me out by the hand. I rolled my eyes.

“Fine,” I answered finally. His face immediately brightened. Besides, maybe the more I allowed him to have his way, the sooner I could go home. I sulkily followed.

“I want you to meet my friends, since you already introduced me to yours.”

“Technically, Sisky, I didn’t introduce you. In fact, I wasn’t even there when you met them!” I exclaimed in annoyance, referring to how he went to my apartment uninvited the first day he picked me up from work. He ignored me and I followed him inside.

“This is Lily,” he introduced me to four guys sitting around on couches in the living room. I wished his friends were annoying jerks so I would have a reason not to like them. Unfortunately, they were pretty decent guys and I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon with them.

It was sad, really. I had worked up a grudge against them on the car ride over like I had toSisky Adam, and instead took a liking to them.

I was annoyed at myself for thinking I could just decide to hate guys as nice as Michael, William, Mike, and Butcher.

I sighed in defeat as Sisky’s cat, Baby, curled up next to me and I began to pet her absentmindedly.

This was not how I thought the day would turn out.