I Would Follow You Anywhere

Part VIII

I jerked awake as something collided with my window. I rushed over to it as I heard more, but smaller collisions.

I heaved my window open.

I ducked as another rock came my way, narrowly missing my head and hitting the window ledge instead.

“Adam!” He finally stopped throwing the rocks. “What are you doing here?” I half-whispered, half-called.

“I couldn’t fall back asleep,” he whispered back. “Will you come for a walk?” I ducked back inside, pulling on a hoodie and some sneakers.

I tiptoed down the creaky stairs and past the front door, where he was waiting for me.

We walked quietly for a block or so, until we came across a park we used to play at when we were younger. We raced each other to the swings, laughing without regard to the people most likely trying to sleep. It didn’t occur to us that twelve year old shouldn’t be wandering the streets at two am, but then again, the suburbs of Chicago generally aren’t very dangerous.

“Lily?” he asked suddenly, as he swung higher and higher.

“Yeah?” I asked.

“Do you promise that you’ll come out with me whenever I can’t sleep?”

“Sure,” I replied, without thinking.

*******************************************

I was torn away from a dream I was having by the phone ringing.

I drowsily made my way to the living room, knowing my roommates were two of the heaviest sleepers on the planet.

“Hello?” I asked, yawning.

“Lily?” I was suddenly more awake now.

“Sisky?” I demanded in disbelief. I squinted at the clock. It was just past three am.

“What’s up?” he asked, as if he hadn’t just interrupted my sleep.

“What’s up is I have to work in the morning and you just woke me up!” I informed him groggily.

“Sorry,” he apologized. “I couldn’t fall back asleep.”

Those words awoke some dull memory from when we were younger.

“So?” I snapped, not allowing myself to remember my promise.

“I’m outside,” he stated nonchalantly.

“You’re what?” I demanded.

“I’m outside. Will you come out?” I hung up on him, trying to clear my mind. Adam T. Siska had to be one of the strangest people I had ever met. I debated between going back to sleep and going outside.

I decided to meet him. I’m not sure why. Maybe because he had driven all the way over here in the dead of night and I didn’t have the heart to tell him to go home.Or because of my promise…

I went back to my room and pulled on jeans and a t-shirt before heading outside. He was waiting in his car and grinned as I got in beside him.

He drove silently for a while. I didn’t bother to ask where we were going, because I knew he would avoid my questions any way he could.

“Close your eyes,” he commanded. I glared sideways at him. “Please?” he practically begged. I rolled my eyes at him before obliging. I stubbornly crossed my arms.

He parked a few minutes later and led me out of the car by the hand.

“You can open your eyes now,” he announced. I looked around, speechless.

We were at the park. That same damn park. The one we came to the nights we couldn’t sleep. All those nights right before he left.

My eyes stung with tears that were just waiting to fall. He was grinning.

“Lily?” he began in surprise, grin fading as soon as he saw the look on my face.

“No!” I interrupted. “Just take me home, Adam!” I turned and stormed off before he could see my wet eyes. I sat in his car wordlessly. He got in as well and started driving back to my apartment.

He stopped in front as we arrived, glancing my way nervously.

“Lily,” he began again.

I ignored him and pushed the door open to get out. I slammed it shut without another glance.