I Would Follow You Anywhere

Part IX

“Lily, Adam wants to talk to you!” My mom called from outside my bedroom door. I sat on my bed with my arms crossed.

“Tell him he’s a stupid boy and I don’t want to play with him anymore!” my seven-year- old self called back.

A few minutes later, my mom knocked on the door.

“What?” I demanded, wrenching it open.

“Adam asked me to give you this,” she replied, handing me a blank envelope.

She left and I tore it open.

Dear Lily,
I’m sorry I called you a dumb girl and said you can’t play with us. You can play with me, if you want to. I still want to be friends with you. I’m sorry for being a dumb boy.
Adam


*****************************************

“Please Lily. Answer your phone.” There was a pause as he thought of what else to say. “I want to talk to you.” I hesitated before deleting the message.

“Lily, mail!” Dana sang, coming into my room with a stack of mail. She tossed me a single white envelope. I examined it before opening it.

There was no stamp or return address. All it had was ‘Lily’ scrawled on the front.

I slowly opened it and shook its contents onto my bed.

It was a letter written in Sisky’s chicken-scratch printing. It read:

Dear Lily,
I’m so sorry. I’m sorry that you hate me and that I ever came back. I get that you never want to see me again. I won’t bother you anymore if you don’t want me too. I just thought we could be friends again. I missed you so much after I moved away, but I guess it doesn’t matter anymore. In case you do ever want to see me again, I got you a backstage pass to our concert tonight. Only if you want to, though. Please come.Sisky
Adam


Sure enough, there was a laminated backstage pass taped to the note.

I stared indecisively at the letter for a long time.

I glanced at the clock.

I had half an hour before the show started to make my decision.