Blood Red

Chapter One: Beth Turner

The night was dark; darker than usual. Beth crept as silently as possible down the alleyway. A splash sounded behind her. Beth turned around quickly, her golden hair whipping about her face.

"Mick?" She called out quietly. The slight quaver in her voice gave away her fear. She pressed closer to the cold brick wall. The dampness from the rain that had fallen no two hours previous soaked into her coat, turning light green dark. A chill ran through her. She knew she was being watched.

Beth pressed her eyes together, taking a deep breath. Maybe she was just tricking herself. After all, it was dark and the moon was in full bloom. She was always a little scared nowadays. Ever since she'd found out about Mick…

Beth pushed the thoughts from her head and practically scoffed at herself. Of course no one was following her. She'd made certain no one knew where she was going. Besides, she had a full can of mace in her hand. She'd be all right.

Beth pushed herself back from the wall, walking further into the alley.

"Mick?" She called again, the sound waves from her voice bouncing off the hard walls and echoing in the distance. Mick had sent her a text about half an hour ago, telling her to meet him here. She knew the place well; it was behind a blood bank. The same one that Josef Kostan owned. They often met here, when they couldn't meet in public. Beth knew that Mick didn't like her wandering around alone, but they didn't have much choice.

There was another noise behind her, but Beth pretended she hadn't heard it. She knew it would be the stupidest to just run. She would try and wait for Mick, and if worst came to worst, she still had her mace. The only problem was, the kind of people who usually hung out around Blood Banks were…

With a loud slamming noise, Beth was pushed against the wall. She could feel the skin on the back of her head split from the force of impact. The hands that were around her shoulders weren't even using half their pressure, yet she could feel her bones splintering from the force.

She could barley open her eyes, but she was forced to. In front of her was a tall man, dressed in all black. A metallic sent clung to his clothes, like cigarette smoke to humans. Beth whimpered, not finding the courage or strength to utter any words. The vampire, with eyes as blue as the sky and fangs as sharp as knives, smirked.

"Well, well, well, lookie who we have here! Little Beth Turner!" He chuckled. "Oh, come one. Cat's got your tongue? That's okay. I don't like chatty women anyways."

"How do you know me?" Beth asked finally, tasting a metallic tang in her mouth. The vampire smiled.

"You're Mick St John's girl. We all know about you. You're quite special, you know. To go through all that and still love him. Amazing, really."

"What do you want?" Beth's breath was coming in short. She thought she'd just been winded from the impact, but now she realized it was more than that.

"Well, you see, there's a little group of us who don't really like Mick and his pro-human ways. You really are just toys and food to us. But Mick doesn't seem to think so. He's also pissed up a few boys up there. Ones that darling Josef doesn't play with to convince to leave Mick little Barbie alone. So, doll, you're just another pawn in out game." He said. He shifted his black bowlers hat over his eyes as he leaned down, sinking his teeth into Beth's neck.

Her choked scream seemed more audible in her ears than anything she'd ever heard. The crunching of bones and the ripping of flesh, it was the worst pain she'd ever experienced. Her breath died in her throat as she slumped back to the wall, her last thoughts of her Mick Saint John…

If nothing else could be heard, the sinister laugh of the vampire was, far in the distance, bounding past other sound waves to the middle of the city, through a particular window, hitting a particular person like a warning sign that was too late.

Mick turned to the window, his eyes turning light blue and his teeth growing out of his mouth…