Sepia Film Reels

Ruby Red Scarfs and Falling Snow

She kept her eyes to herself on the subway. The familiar music in her ears provided a safe blanket against the sleazy wandering glances of the older men opposite her. Their skin was deeply tanned, blemished and sagging. Their smiles were nearly toothless. After all, Manhattan was renowned for it's tramps. She turned her cellphone over and over restlessly in her hands as she waited for the final stop.

"Bet you're cheap, peaches," one man remarked as she got up.

Once outside the station, she pulled her coat closer to combat the chilly December winds. She stood 5"5 high, the picture of Manhattan cliche. Her wavy hair and her ruby red scarf blew in the wind. She pulled her hair out of her eyes, allowing her pale blue orbs to focus on the distance. As she stepped down from the bustling sidewalk, a burst of steam rose out of the road, she smiled to herself as she dodged between two taxis.

She walked with a purpose, the complete polar opposite to the throng of New Yorkers, rushing to no where and not getting there very fast.

It was as though they were one life force. As the first snowflake fell at a cute African boy's feet, they stopped at once. Hundreds of eyes were trained on the sky, the monster was curious. She continued though. She pushed through the crowds, apologizing profusely when she got in the way. There came no reply, though. Each person was enraptured.

42nd street merged into 43rd as she pressed ever forward. The streets were emptying quickly as people ran back home to shelter from the snow. Her cherry red Chuck Taylors slapped the floor rhythmically and her lips turned blue beneath their dusty red enclosure. As she walked, the street lamps turned on. Filaments sparked into life as she passed below them.

Eventually, she reached her destination. The bulbs glowed brightly, lighting up the 'cinema' sign. She took shelter in the overhang of the entrance and pulled her cellphone out of her pocket once more. She was calmer now she was here. The snow continued to fall evenly and was blown in circles around her feet by the wind. The only movement on the sidewalks now was the lone business man, dashing between bus shelters with his briefcase as a shield.

She shivered slightly and checked her cell once more.

"Sorry to have kept you waiting," he whispered in her ear.

Her eyes lit up the moment she heard his voice. She spun around with a smile on her face.

"I'm chilled to the bone!" she scolded, burying herself in his arms. "Can we skip the movie and just get coffee?"

"But the film?"

"Films don't disappear," she laughed, tugging on his arm.

He tried to hide his disappointment. After all, they were just friends, nothing would have happened in the theater anyway.

"Only a block this way..."

--------------

Once they were seated in the cafe, she removed her coat cautiously.

"It's nice and warm in here, at least."

He laughed, "it's a coffee shop, they're always warm."

"It's terrible isn't it? A coffee shop, what a teen cliche!"

"Your shirt is nice," he said mechanically, breaking the silence.

"Oh, this? Thanks," she replied, fingering the soft material.

The pair sat in silence as they waited for their drinks to arrive. She Lent over the table, somewhat engaged. He chin rested in the palm of her hands as she fixed him with an even look.

"21 questions!" she declared, just as the drinks were set down.

He thanked the waitress. He agreed nonetheless and so they sat for the best part of an hour, firing questions and telling stories. Neither one was quick to drain their mugs. Both wanted to stay and talk for longer.

As she finished the last of her drink, the conversation wore away. The 21 questions had been asked, now no-one was sure of what to say. For what are you meant to say in this not quite just friends situation? The pair looked out the window and were delighted to see that the snow was still falling.

They pulled on their coats hurriedly and left the tip on the table, each paying for their respective drinks. Outside the shop, he quickly balled a snowball and fired it at her. It hit her side and she punched him playfully. They fell down the street laughing. She cuddled his arm and he moved it around her shoulder. She leaned into him with ease as they continued walking.

At the station once more the conversation flared up. It showed no sign of stopping so they sat on the curb slowly getting covered in wet snow. It didn't bother the pair though, they had each other for warmth and no-one could deny the fiery warmth they had for each other.

"You're a lot taller in real life," she noted.

"You're far sweeter, not to mention prettier.

She blushed bashfully, "it's because of all the candy I eat. After all, you are what you eat!"

"No wonder you have so many cavities!" he exclaimed, referring to an answer she gave in their game of 21 questions.

She smiled and played with the toggles on his jacket.

"Again sometime, yes?"

"Most definitely," he grinned pulling his friend closer.

"Good. I enjoyed myself."

"As did I."

"We'll speak soon?" she asked, getting to her feet.

"Tomorrow," he held her tight.

"Tomorrow," she agreed, turning toward the station.

"Goodnight, be safe!" he teased, squeezing her one last time.

"Goodnight, future boy," she whispered.

She waved as she passed through the barriers. He waved back and didn't turn away until he saw her back. She smiled to her self as she sat down on the train. He was lovely.