I Keep Bleeding Love

The End: Finally or Sadly?

The run back to Boston didn’t seem to take as long as the run to New York had. One day after their talk with Strix, Becca and Michael were on their way back to Boston. Michael’s men had left a day ahead of them in order to prepare for their arrival. When Becca asked why, Michael ashamedly admitted that his home had fallen to quite disarray. He also hinted that he had left some business unfinished dashing off to save Strix’s hide, and so Boston had some parasite problems of its own.
When they returned to the house, Michael surprised her by begging leave, saying that he had to run out and take care of some things. Becca was annoyed. She had hoped her return to Boston would be met by celebration, but instead she was alone in a huge empty house. To take up time she walked slowly through the house, reminiscing about when she and Michael had been together before. She wandered into the kitchen and remembered Michael making her pancakes. She wandered into the movie theater and remembered moments on the couch.
She meandered up the stairs and into Michael’s room. She was happy to see he had kept the red satin sheets. They were a favorite of hers. She sat on the edge of his bed and looked up at the ceiling smiling at how familiar the view was, even after all this time. She opened up his closet and looked through all his clothes. She realized she was avoiding the one thing she knew she was going to have to do. She didn’t want to go into her old room and see it all empty and plain. Finally she got up the courage…for one reason. She was hungry…and the room was on the way to the kitchen. She stopped at the door and took a deep breath. She opened the door.
She stood completely still with surprise. The room was exactly the same as she remembered it. Her things were still stationed throughout the room. She went into the bathroom and found all the products she had accumulated as a human. She dashed to the closet and threw open the door, almost breaking it off its hinges. All her clothes were there, exactly as she had left them. A tear slipped down her cheek. He had set up a shrine to her, just as he had to Sandy. She had made a difference in his life.
A noise behind her made her jump and whirl around. Michael was in the doorway, watching her. She ran to him and threw her arms around him. She couldn’t speak for a moment, and decided to kiss him instead, tears still in her eyes. Michael looked down at her in amusement.
“What is this about?” he asked with a chuckle in his voice as she sobbed in his arms.
“You…kept…you…kept my stuff!” she blubbered. Michael laughed.
“Yes I did. I was bound and determined that you were going to come back to me.” He smiled down at her. “And you did.” Becca wiped her eyes and smiled back k up at him.
“And I always will,” she said and snuggled her head into his chest. She sighed in happiness.
“Hungry?” he asked.
“Starving!” she replied. “Race you downstairs!” She took off down the hallway and sped down the stairs. Michael skipped the stairs all together and jumped, landing on his feet with an earth-shattering thud. Becca still beat him to the kitchen and had the fridge open before he got there. She smiled saucily at him. “Beat’cha,” she said. Michael snatched the bag of blood from her hand. She selected another one and they drank together, making eyes at each other over their blood.
“So…” Michael said flirtatiously, “What are you doing later?” Becca laughed.
“Well, sir,” she said. “That depends on you.” She lifted her eyebrows at him provocatively. He chuckled.
“I was thinking we should go out and celebrate your return to Boston,” he said. “What do you think?”
“I’d love to!” said Becca. “Where are we going?”
“It’s a surprise,” he said. “Go get dressed. Why don’t you wear that red dress that I like so much?”
“You got it!” she said and sauntered out of the kitchen. When she got to the doorway she turned around. “I’ll wear that dress if you wear that suit that I like.” He smiled at her in a peculiar way.
“Anything you want,” he said in a strange tone. Becca raised her eyebrow at him.
“Okay…I’m going to go get dressed.”
About an hour later, Michael was driving her into downtown Boston. He insisted she keep her eyes closed. Becca’s curiosity was piqued.
“Won’t you please tell me where you’re taking me?” she begged. Michael laughed at her obvious ploy.
“Just let me surprise you,” he said half-exasperatedly. “Besides now we’re just about there. Keep your eyes closed until I help you out of the car.” Becca sighed.
“All-right,” she relented. It seemed like forever until he parked the car and opened her door for her. He took her hand and helped her to her feet.
“You can open your eyes now,” he said, and she did. She gasped and grabbed Michael’s sleeve. They were standing in front of the jazz club she used to work at, and where she and Michael had met. “Surprise,” he murmured.
“Aww….Michael this is so sweet,” she said and stood on the tips of her very tall high-heels for a kiss.
“There’s more,” he said. “Let’s go inside.” Becca smiled and took his offered arm. She walked in and smiled at the familiar surroundings. She could see Jay the bartender, and Susannah the waitress who was gawking at her. She looked up at the stage, and Brandon was on stage smiling at her. Becca gasped. Brandon winked at her and continued to sing the peppy jazz song that Becca decided she liked. Michael led her to a table and she sat down.
“I’m going to go get us some drinks,” he said. “What would you like?”
“Vodka,” she said, smiling at him. “Just vodka.” He smiled at her in the peculiar way he’d smiled at her in the house, and went over to the bar. She barely had time to ponder his strange look by the time he was back.
“Our drinks will be ready in a minute. Would you like to dance with me?” Becca smiled and took his outstretched hand. Brandon started singing the song “I’m Your Man” that they’d danced to the night they’d met.
“Wow Michael,” said Becca. “Tonight is probably the most romantic night of my life. How did you set this all up?” Michael smiled.
“I have connections,” he said with a bit of irony. Becca laughed. She stopped talking and leaned into him, looking up into his eyes. She found it much easier to follow his dance steps now that she was a vampire. She thought about her mind set when she’d first danced with Michael and chuckled to herself. Michael looked down at her.
“What?” he asked.
“I was just remembering that when we first met I didn’t believe in love,” she said. “I guess I’ve done a one-eighty since then.” Michael laughed.
“I should hope so,” he said. Then he got serious and looked into her eyes intensely. “I love you Becca,” he said. Becca looked back at him just as seriously.
“I love you too,” she said, and he bent to kiss her. The song ended.
“Shall we go get our drinks?” he asked . Becca smiled.
“You know I like alcohol,” she said. He took her hand and led her to the table.
“I’ll be right back,” he said.
“Okay,” she said. “I’ll be here.” He looked back at her and winked.
“You better be,” he said. Becca smiled mischievously. He was gone for only a minute, but that minute seemed empty and cold for Becca. She sighed to herself. She was so happy she’d finally found the person who completed her. He returned with a drink in each hand. He set a short glass in front of her and sat down across from her. Becca couldn’t tear her eyes from him as she took a sip from her glass. She was so happy that vampires could drink alcohol. That was one human love she hadn’t had to give up. She took another long sip, and something hard and cold touched her lips. She pulled the glass from her mouth in surprise.
“Michael,” she said calmly. “Why is there a beautiful diamond ring in my vodka?” Michael reached over and plucked it from her glass. He knelt in front of her.
“Becca,” he began.
“Yes! Oh Michael, yes! I will marry you!” She jumped into his arms and kissed him passionately. Brandon started singing a love song that Becca didn’t pay the slightest attention to. When she finally pulled away, Michael started to laugh.
“I didn’t even get to ask you properly,” he complained good naturedly.
“Oh, I’m sorry,” she said and sat back in her chair expectantly.
“Becca,” he began again. “I promise to love you until the end of time. I promise to hold you in my arms every night until the sun never rises again. Becca, will you marry me? But you’ve already answered.” She smoothed his hair out of his face. She kissed him again.
“Michael,” she said. “I will love you forever. I will love you every single day for as long as we both exist.” He smiled and slid the ring onto her finger. Then he stood up and offered her his hand.
“Will you dance with me future Mrs. Vye?” he asked.
“Certainly Mr. Sullivan,” she said and took his hand. He looked at her quizzically. “What? You aren’t taking my last name? You wouldn’t want to infer that women belong to men would you?” Michael just laughed, shook his head, and pulled her out onto the dance floor.
“I will always belong to you,” he said and Becca laughed as he twirled her across the floor.