‹ Prequel: The Wrong Jonas
Sequel: Something Better

School Comes First But Where's A Future Without Him

Chapter 11

Sitting on the living room couch, I heard Rachel honk her horn. I slipped on a pair of flip flops and headed out the door.

"Hello." Rachel said as I got in the car.

"Hey. Thanks again for doing this. You don't have to come out this late and take me to the drug store." I felt really bad for making Rachel come out this late. She's a person who likes her sleep, so I'm surprised she even offered. But hey, that's what friends are for.

"Yes I do. Because then I wouldn't here the end of, 'But you're my best friend, you have to be there with me to see if I'm pregnant or not.' So I'd rather just offer." Oh, how cruel. And to think I called her a friend!

"Oh, thanks a lot. I feel so loved." We both laughed. Pretty soon, she pulled into the parking lot.

Rachel opened her door, but stopped when she had one foot out the door when she noticed that I wasn't moving. "Alyssa, you coming?" She asked.

I looked at her. "I don't know if I can do this, Rachel. What if it comes out positive?" I could hear the worry dripping from my words as I spoke. Maybe because... I WAS WORRIED AS HELL! It scared me to think about becoming a mother. I'm not ready to be a mom.

"Well then, you'll just have to take that risk. Alyssa, don't worry about it. It would be better for you to find out now than when you wake up one day with a belly." She had a point. "Now come on. I'll come in the bathroom with you."

That's how close we are. Even something like that doesn't gross us out. We're like sisters. We tell each other everything. So what she said comforted me.

I gave her a weak smile. "Alright." I opened the car door and got out.

We walked down the isle, looking for the right one. "Oh my God, there's so many. How do we choose?" Rachel asked.

"Psh... beats me." I said. There were a lot of pregnancy tests. I mean, if a woman is worried she might be pregnant, you think they would at least cut down on the variety of tests? Of course not, why on earth would they do that? Oh yeah, maybe because it's a really good idea!

"How about this one?" Rachel handed me a small box with one test inside. It looked okay to me. Didn't have any warnings on it. Didn't look too complicated.

"Fine with me." We found our way over to the bathroom and went in. As we did, I saw some old lady give us a weird look. Why doesn't she stop being in people's business and go get a life?!

"Ugh, come on, come on! This thing is taking forever!" I said. Well, it was. I had been waiting for the thing to beep. Waiting for it to tell me my possible future, and it was taking forever!

"Alyssa, it's only been about 20 seconds. Calm down."

Well, it felt like forever to me.

"Still. It's only adding more tension. They need to make faster working pregnancy tests!" Rachel just laughed and stood by my side.

"Don't worry. It's going to be alright. Joe's going to help you through if you are pregnant. He's a good guy." I leaned my head on her shoulder and sighed. Yet again, she was right. I know Joe will do his part in helping with the not-yet-known-of child.

Beep.

My heart started racing. Rachel looked at me, expecting me to check the test. The truth is, I really don't want to. I'm scared of the consequences. I don't want to raise a child.

"You check it." I said, looking back at her.

"I don't think so. This isn't my problem. You have to check. Come on, it can't be that bad." She rolled her eyes at me, as if this was the easiest thing to do. Yeah right! Maybe for her. She's still a virgin!

I held my breath as I went over to the sink where the test was. I looked down at it. And there it was.

The black minus sign.

"YES!!!" I screamed, probably loud enough for Joe to hear even if he was sleeping.

I'm not pregnant!
♠ ♠ ♠
I though about making this a cliff hanger, but I've been terrible with updates lately, and I didn't want to leave you hanging. Hope you liked it!
And thanks for all the wonderful comments you guys give me!

:)