We Don't Always See The Bright Side And I Lied When I Said I was Fine

Chapter one

"Get out of my house now you ungreatful little swine!"
Frank dodged just in time as a glass shattered on the wall right behind where his head was just seconds ago.
Angry tears dripped out of his eyes and down his face. "Don't worry! I'm going!"
He hauled his bag that he had just hastily packed down the stairs and got out of the front door as fast as he could, slamming it behind him.
He didn't know where he was going. He had no where. No one. Nothing apart from this backpack with the odd change of clothes and his guitar, Pansy.
He couldn't take it in that house any longer.
His parents where alcoholics, both of them. They always took their drunken rage out on him as well, but the next morning, they never seemed to remember.
The carried his few posetions to a nearby bus stop. It wasn't long before a bus pulled up.
He got on and paid, heading straight for the back seat. He was planning on going to the town centre.
He pulled the hood up on his hoody so no one would be able to see his tear-stained face. Also, he didn't want anyone from school to recognise him, especially while he was like this. He'd probably get beaten up. Again. It seemed he couldn't escape the abuse, no matter where he went. No matter who he was with.
But, he wasn't about to give up. There must be someone out there who could accept him, appreciate him.
All he needed to do was start this new life. Away from them. The family. Not that you could call them much of a family. Most often, they treated each other like their worst enimies.
The bus pulled to a stop and Frank gathered up his stuff and got off.
He looked around, wondering in which direction he should go.
He turned quickly, about to start walking, but he felt himself colide with someone, knocking them both to the floor.
The other person stood up and brushed himself down, holding out his hand "I'm sorry, are you alright?"
Frank recognised the guy as a boy in his grade at school "Y-yeah, I'm fine. Sorry" he muttered in answer to his quiestion
"It doesn't matter" The guy gave a small smile.
He was quite a few inches taller than Frank and was also quite skinny. "See ya around, I guess" The mousey-haired boy said, before walking away.
Frank sighed. At least this one person didn't seem like a bad guy.
---
Frank had decided that even though he had left home, he would still go to school. It gave him somewhere warm and dry to go in the daytime. He could always leave Pansy in his locker aswell. But for the mean time, he didn't have anywhere to go. It was Sunday, meaning that school was closed. He'd be fine for a few hours anyway. He'd find a bus shlter or something soon enough too, that would do him for a few hours.
A while later, he had found a busshelter and was trying to get settled. Maybe he could get a little bit of sleep that night.
Before he knew it, he was waking up to the light of the freshly risen sun. His back and neck were stiff from the awakward position he'd somehow managed to sleep in.
'I best try to get ready for school' he thought to himself, spotting the public toilet just down the street.
---
He spashed the cool water over his face, waking him up considerably, before looking up at the boy staring back at him in the mirror.
He had a black eye and a few small cuts scattered here and there from one of his dad's more violent attacks a few days ago. His eyeliner that had been applied the morning before was smudged down his cheeks and around his eyes as he'd neglected to take it off. "Frankie boy, you sure do look a mess" He told himself, trying to get the worst of his make up off so he could apply a new layer.
He managed to fix it, covering a little of the bruise around his eye so it didn't look that bad. He gave himself a weak smile in the mirror. "You're fine now" he muttered, reasuring himself before grabbing his belongings and setting off in the direction of his school.
---
He arrived at school and walked up to his locker, opening it and placing Pansy inside as carefully as he could. He took his hood down on his hoody and headed towards his first class of the day, Maths.
He slumped in before the bell went to take his usual seat at the back corner.
He always sat on his own. No one really took any notice that he was there. But, he didn’t really mind, he was used to it by now.
The room began to fill with the others in his maths class, all completely blanking him out.
He looked down at the desk and started carving into it with his compass point. He wouldn’t get caught. The teachers didn’t notice him either. Mainly because he slunk away to the back of the class and didn’t speak to any one.
“Hey, is this seat taken?”
Frank looked up to see the boy that he had bumped into the day before.
“Um… no”
The guy sat down “I’m Mikey. I’ve seen you around, but never got around to talking to you,”
“I’m Frank” Frank said, looking down at his carving and carrying on with the series of lines.
“That’s cool. Sorry about walking into you yesterday,” Mikey said,
“It was my fault, I wasn’t looking where I was going” Frank told him.
There was silence between them after that for the rest of the lesson. As the bell rang, Mikey stood up “Hey, do you want to eat lunch with me today?”
“Umm… okay.” Frank was slightly taken aback. No one ever wanted to be seen with him.
“great! Meet me in the cafeteria” Mikey smiled before bounding off and out of the room.
Frank waited until everywhere had cleared before slowly padding out of the room.
What did Mikey mean? “I’ve seen you around, but never got around to talking to you,” so he’d noticed him before? But no one ever noticed Frank. Or if they did it was so they could take their anger out on him. That’s all that he was good for. A punch bag. And he was a lousy one at that. Maybe this was some sick joke. Maybe the jocks had put him up to it. Or maybe Mikey did really want to be his friend?
Both seemed unlikely- Mikey looked like the type that wasn’t in with the jocks. He looked more nerdy and dressed like Frank. But no one ever wanted to be Frank friend.
It was all very confusing. He decided to go along at lunch, try it out for a while. Maybe he had finally found someone who accepted him and didn’t just want to poke fun at him and beat him up. Hopefully.
Frank walked into the cafeteria and cast an eye about for Mikey. He couldn’t see him anywhere. He waited for a few more minutes. Still no Mikey. He spun around, ready to go and eat somewhere else when he collided into someone.
“We’ve really got to stop meeting like this” he heard Mikey’s voice say.
“Hi. I was beginning to think you weren’t coming” Frank mumbled.
“Well, I’m here now” Mikey grinned “I’ll show you to my table”
Mikey walked to a table with three people already sat there. Two boys and a girl. It was obvious that the boys were twins. They were dressed almost the same, Black hoody, with the hood pulled up and black jeans, but one was wearing baggy and the other tight. They both had black hair that covered their left eye and the most dazzling green eyes you could ever see.
The girl had blonde hair that reached her shoulders with black dye underneath. She wore a black and red stripy ‘death-kitty’ shirt and a short black skirt.
“Hey guys, this is Frank, he’s our new friend”
Friend? Frank had never really had friends, the term was weird, especially when it applied to him.
There was a mumbled ‘hi’ from the three already seated. “these two, are Ronnie and Jet. The terrible twins as they are most usually referred to by people around the school. In time, you’ll be able to tell which is which, but I still do have difficulty,” Mikey said, squinting and looking at the boys. “And this young lady here, is Scarlet” Mikey told him.
Frank smiled and sat down with the others.
“So, are you new?” one of the twins asked.
“No…” Frank replied. See, no one ever noticed him. Well, obviously, Mikey did. “I just tend to keep myself to myself”
“Oh… okay”
There was a lot of chatter through out the lunch period, but Frank didn’t join in much. He just munched on his sandwich and listened.
“You’re not very talkative,” Scarlet said, eyeing frank.
“No… I guess I’m shy” Frank said. It was true. He was shy. And scared of talking, in case he got it wrong… he’d probably get a beating of some kind. Or that’s what he had learned from home life.
To passers by, Frank’s parents would have probably seemed like good, honest, hard working parents that cared for their son. That’s how they always acted when there was company. If his parents could seem innocent, other people could too.
Ronnie, Jet and Scarlet left the table and took their trays away.
“Frank… I didn’t want to ask while they were here… but how did you get that black eye?” He asked sympathetically, as if he already suspected what was going on.
Frank looked at him for a second. “Oh…err… I w-walked into a….door” He knew he sounded unsure, but Mikey shrugged it off.
“What do you have next?” Mikey asked.
“Physics” Frank answered.
“Me too… guess we are in more classes together than I thought,” He gave Frank a smile, which Frank half heatedly returned.
“Maybe we should get going then”
Frank nodded his head and picked up his backpack that contained all of his belongings.
---
The pair arrived at their physics classroom and Frank opened his bag, pulling out his book and his pen.
“Frank, I know that you hardly know me, I mean today is the first time we’ve talked, but would you like to come over to mine tonight?” Mikey asked quite suddenly.
Frank thought for a minute. His parents wouldn’t like it. But he didn’t live with his parents anymore. He could do what he liked. “Yeah, that sounds good” Frank said, smiling properly for the first time in months.
---
So, Frank met Mikey at the end of school and they both walked to Mikey’s house. They didn’t speak much. Frank wasn’t good in situations with other people. He had learned to listen rather than speak. That way, you didn’t get into trouble. As much trouble any way.
They turned up the pathway to the house and Mikey unlocked the door. “I think we have the house to ourselves” No sooner as Mikey had said that, there was a giggle heard from upstairs.
“Oh… Gerard’s bought his fuck buddy home today…” Mikey said.
“Who’s Gerard?”
“My brother…” Mikey seemed as if he didn’t want to talk about him that much.
Frank understood. He hated talking about his family. Not that anyone had ever asked him, but he imagined he would.
Mikey showed Frank upstairs and to his room. They could hear the slight disturbing noise coming from the room next door, but Mikey put his music on to drown it out.
“Mikey…” Frank started “Why…why did you… why did you talk to me today?” he looked down as soon as he said it. It had taken a lot of courage for him to ask, but he needed to know why.
“I don’t know. I just… guess I like the look of you. And you looked all lonesome in the corner on your own” Mikey answered, picking his words carefully.
“Oh… okay.” Frank started picking at the black nail polish on his nails.
“So what do you want to do?” Mikey asked, looking around his room
“I don’t know…” Frank didn’t really know what friends did together, he mainly just sat on his own, writing songs and whatnot.
It seemed awkward between the two. Frank kept noticing that Mikey kept looking at his black eye and the scratches on his face. He knew Mikey didn’t believe him.
The two sat on Mikey’s bed for what seemed hours, just taking in the music and occasionally making the odd eye contact.
“I’m sorry… I don’t make very good company…” Frank said, avoiding looking at Mikey.
“It’s okay. You’re just shy”
Frank nodded his head. “So… you play bass, huh?” He asked, looking at the bass stood in the corner and trying to strike up conversation.
“That’s right”
“I play guitar… but I left it at school today. I didn’t want to have to cart it around”
“Why is it at school?” Mikey asked.
“Oh…errr… I needed it for… music class” Frank lied. He didn’t want to tell Mikey he was homeless and had nowhere to put the guitar. He’d think he was some scabby, disease filled tramp.
“Oh, right”
A few more minutes of silence before they heard a male voice shouting bye to someone and then the door burst open.
A guy, shorter than Mikey, but he looked older was stood there. There was a small smile playing on his lips. His black hair was messy and fell in just about every direction possible. Frank assumed this was Mikey’s older brother, Gerard.
“Awww! Mikey got a new boyfriend!” Gerard cooed.
Mikey blushed deeply “No I don’t he’s just a friend.”
“Then why’s he on your bed?”
“Just because you fuck everything that comes into your room, doesn’t mean that I do!” Mikey shouted standing up so he towered over his brother.
Gerard looked taken aback. “Whoa little bro! Calm down, I’m only joking. Looks like I touched a nerve” He grinned at Frank and winked. And then gave Mikey a little smirk before leaving the room.
Frank looked over to Mikey who shook his head and rolled his eyes. “He always teases me. But I guess he’s meant to. He’s the older brother. But sometimes it just makes me so angry. Even if he doesn’t mean to” Mikey explained.
Frank nodded his head. He understood. Families always fought. He should know, shouldn’t he?
Mikey’s cheeks were still a little flushed, from, Frank guessed, anger towards Gerard.
“I’m sorry you had to see me yell…” Mikey said.
“It doesn’t matter…I…” Frank was going to say that he was used to it, but cut off at the last minute.
“You what?”
“Oh… I can’t remember what I was going to say” Frank lied hastily. He knew he wasn’t very good at lying, but he also knew that Mikey wouldn’t push him for an answer.
The boys chatted for a few more hours.
“I should go” Frank said, realising that it was getting late. He reluctantly picked up his bag and headed towards the door. He didn’t want to go. He liked Mikey. He was his first friend. But he didn’t want to outstay his welcome.
He reached for the handle, but Mikey grabbed his wrist. Frank flinched as Mikey caught a sore spot from the beatings, but Mikey seemed not to notice. “Please stay, just a little longer.”
Frank thought this request odd. No one ever wanted to spend time with him, so why does Mikey?
“But.. My parents-” Frank cut himself off, again realising that he wouldn’t be going home and they more than likely didn’t know he had even gone. They probably thought he was just in his room or something.
“What about your parents?” Mikey asked.
“It doesn’t matter” Frank looked down to hide the tears that had suddenly welled up in his eyes.
“Frank? Are you okay?” Mikey asked, noticing his sudden mood change.
“Yeah, I’m fine,” Frank said, trying his best to sound cheery.
“Are you sure? What’s the matter?”
“It’s nothing. I’m fine. Honestly. I should really go.”
“Not until you tell me what the matter is” Mikey got up and blocked the door.
“Please, let me go!” Frank said, raising his voice, lifting his head, showing Mikey the tears that were now flowing freely down his cheeks.
Mikey looked at him for a second before pulling him into a hug. “I don’t know what’s wrong, but I’m sure everything will be fine”
Frank didn’t say anything, he just collapsed into Mikey’s chest. Mikey wrapped his arms around Frank and guided him over to the bed so they could sit down again.
The door flew open again and Gerard was stood there “Mikey… mom says come for tea” his eyes fell on Frank, cuddling up to Mikey. “Just friends, eh?” he smirked.
“I’m trying to cheer him up… tell mom I‘m not hungry”
“Now Mikey, did you hurt him too much with your anal sex?”
Mikey glared at Gerard but didn’t say a word.
“Urgh.” Gerard muttered, turning away.
“Frank, are you going to tell me what’s the matter?” Mikey asked as soon as Gerard had closed the door.
Frank sat there motionless, he didn’t know what to say. The truth? Or some random made up story that Mikey would hopefully believe
---
"I don’t know if I can tell you” Frank said, avoiding looking at his new found friend.
“Frank, I know you hardly know me, but you can trust me” Mikey told him as he rubbed his back soothingly.
“Well…The truth is.. That I…well, I recently…kind of… left home”
“What! Why?” Mikey became wide eyed.
“I couldn’t take it there any more” before he knew it, everything came pouring out. He was telling Mikey everything- how his parents hated him and hit him everyday. How he’d never had anyone that cared for him. And how Mikey was the first person to really acknowledge his existence. As soon as he finished, he broke down again, burying his head into Mikey’s shirt.
“Does that mean you have no where to go?” Mikey asked, still holding Frank, who sniffed and nodded his head.
“Do you maybe want to stop here for a while? I’m sure my mom wont mind…”
“No. I don’t want to be a burden”
“you wouldn’t be. Just stay for at least tonight. I can sleep on the floor, and you can have my bed” Mikey said.
“Are you sure?” frank looked at him. His tears had finished flowing but his eyes were red still. Mikey nodded his head.
“You have your bed though” Frank said. “I don’t mind sleeping on the floor”
Mikey thought for a while. “Well… it is a double bed. We could share”
Frank looked at him for a second in silence. He felt kind of weird sharing a bed with someone he hardly knew. Especially a guy.
“I mean, we could sleep head to toe. I just want to make sure you’re comfy…” Mikey said quickly.
“Oh, okay. If that’s alright” Frank was still slightly taken aback by the offer, but he didn’t want to say do. He didn’t want to loose his new friend already.
----
Frank laid on the opposite side of the bed to Mikey. He wore his boxers from the day before and an old t-shirt that Mikey had lent him for the night.
“Mikey?”
“..mmm?”
“Why are you being so kind to me. You don’t even know me”
There was silence for a second. “Because you’re my friend. And you’re in a time of need”
“Thank you Mikey” Frank smiled. He’d been called someone’s friend!
----
The next morning, Mikey woke up before Frank and made his way down to breakfast. His parents had both already left for work, so there was just Gerard in. He was already sat at the table, munching on his toast.
“So, he slept over last night then?” Gerard asked in a slightly amused tone. “AND you shared the bed?”
“Yeah, but we slept top to toe. It’s not like we did anything”
Gerard rolled his eyes “You wanted to.”
“Yeah, whatever. He’s just a friend in his time of need. Why do you have to make fun of me all the time?” Mikey asked, popping two slices of bread in the toaster.
“Because you’re my little brother. I’m meant to.” Gerard replied with a smirk.
Mikey shook his head. “Well, quit it, please. It’s annoying, you always reffering to my sexuality like that”
“Oh, come off it Mikey. You know I’m joking. I know you’re straight really” Gerard said.
Mikey stayed silent.
“Mikey? You are straight aren’t you?”
Mikey opened his mouth, but before he could answer, Frank stumbled in, still wearing Mikey’s t-shirt and his boxers.
Gerard looked at Mikey and shook his head.
“Want some breakfast Frank?” Mikey asked.
“If that’s okay…”
The three boys sat in silence, munching away on their toast for a while. When they’d all finished, Gerard cleared away the plates.
“If you like, you can take a shower…” Mikey told Frank, pointing to a room just down the hall.
“Thank you” Frank smiled at Mikey and headed to the other room.
Gerard looked at Mikey. “You gonna answer my question or what?"
Mikey looked at his brother for a second and walked out of the room to find Frank fully clothes with fresh make up on. “You ready?” Mikey asked.
Frank nodded his head and picked up his backpack.
---
It was the end of school. “Are you coming back to mine again?” Mikey asked Frank.
“I don’t know. I don’t want to take advantage of you… it’s not fair on your family either” Frank told him.
“It’s okay… Ronnie, Jet and Scarlet are coming over” Mikey said, looking around to see if they had arrived at the school gates where he should have been meeting them. “And Gerard has a few friends coming over…”
“Are you sure? I mean…”
“It’s okay, trust me. Frank, you’re too polite.”
Frank smiled. “Okay. But only for a little while”
It wasn’t long until Jet, Ronnie and Scarlet all arrived.
“YAY! MIKEY’S HOUSE!” Ronnie screamed. Frank could tell it was Ronnie today, he’d noticed that they both wore a necklace with the first letter of their name on.
“Ronnie! Calm down!” Scarlet laughed.
“NO! NEVER!” Ronnie grinned, jumping on his twin brother’s back.
The two messed around all the way as the other three talked and Frank learnt more about his new companions.
They soon arrived at Mikey’s house. When they opened the door, they were greeted by loud music playing and the sound of chatter. Seems that Gerard’s friends had already arrived.
“BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!” Jet yelled, jumped on a guy taller than him with blonde hair.
“RAAAAAAAAY!!” Ronnie screamed after him, tackling another guy with a red/brown afro type hair.
There was also a girl sat in the corner talking to Gerard.
“Hey everyone, this is the newbie, Frank” Mikey said. The chatter died down and there was a chorus of ‘Hiiii Frank”
“Frank, this is Ray, Bob and Keri” Mikey said, signalling to each one in tern.
Frank smiled politely and muttered hello.
“what shall we do then?” Gerard asked, standing up and moving away from Keri.
“I don’t know… what do we usually do?” Bob asked.
“Get drunk and par-tay” Ronnie grinned.
Scarlet rolled her eyes at him. “Maybe we could play a few games”
“Like?”
“I know it’s a bit cliché, but how about Truth or Dare?” she said, looking at everyone.
“Okay! As long as there’s no incest!” Jet demanded.
“err… alright! Everyone take your seats!” Gerard yelled.
Frank took his seat in between Ray and Mikey.
“Hmm… Bob!” Gerard started “Truth or dare?”
“DARE! I’m no coward!”
“Hmm…”
For the next half an hour or so, most people in the circle did their dares and were asked questions about themselves.
“Mikey… truth or dare?” Scarlet asked
“Truth please”
Before Scarlet could ask anything Gerard jumped in “Are you gay?”
Mikey narrowed his eyes “Whatever would give you that idea”
“You didn’t answer me earlier. And I’ve never met a single girlfriend of yours. And you seem to blush a whole lot around this certain somebody” Gerard said, his eyes lingering on some of the guys in the circle, including Frank.
“Err… I don’t really know” Mikey confessed. “I always thought I liked girls until a few months ago.” Mikey blushed deeply again.
The whole room was filled with a shocked silence.
“I mean- I think… I still do like girls. But, there’s this guy…” Mikey went on.
“Who is it?” Jet asked. “Is it me? Oh, I hope it is!”
“No. it’s not you. I don’t know much about him. I don’t even know his name” Mikey said.
“Oh, okay”
The game went on. No one questioned Mikey any further.
“I should get off now” Frank said, noting that he was probably outstaying his welcome by now.
“Aww! Frank! Don’t leave! Things were just getting good!” Ray protested.
Frank found it weird how no one wanted him to leave.
“Maybe just a few more minutes. I’ll leave when you guys do” he said to the rest of the gang, secretly not really wanting to leave at all. I mean, would you? If the place you had to go to was cold and wet and where you had no one. At least there was people keeping him company here.
“Yay!” everyone cheered.
“FRANKIE DOODLE!” Jet beamed “It’s your turn! Truth or dare?”
“I pick… dare”
There was a few minutes where everyone looked deep in thought- they were running out of decent dares. Nearly everything had been done. “Kiss Mikey!” Ronnie screamed.
Frank turned to Mikey and planted a quick kiss on his cheek.
“What do you call that? That was rubbish!” Keri piped up. “Properly! On the lips… for… at least 15 seconds”
“Umm…” Frank looked at Mikey. He didn’t mind, but, he did feel a little uncomfy with the whole situation.
Mikey shrugged.
Frank took a deep breath and leant forward, just touching lips with Mikey.
The countdown started from the others. “15...14...13...”
For some reason, Mikey’s lips tasted like cherries. Frank felt Mikey’s tongue run across his lips and he willingly opened his mouth.
“8...7...6...”
He felt as if he was enjoying this way too much. He wanted it to stop, but in a way he didn’t. His tongue battled with Mikey’s taking in the taste of his mouth.
“3...2...1.. STOP!”
The boys pulled away from each other grinning and looking rather embarrassed.
“Wow! You looked like you were gonna eat each other!” Scarlet laughed.
“Or at least start humping on the floor!” Jet grinned, pushing Ronnie over and jumping on him, making a little scene.
“AH! INCEST!” Ronnie shouted, pushing his twin off of him.
Frank looked down at his thumbs, twiddling them. He could tell that he was deeply blushing and he was sure that everyone else had noticed.
Mikey was also quiet and playing with his hands.
“I should probably get going now…” Frank said, feeling quite awkward.
“Aww! Why don’t you stay another night!” Gerard cooed, looking at Mikey.
“Stop it! Just stop trying to be funny!” Mikey stood up and yelled before walking out of the room.
Frank didn’t know whether to leave or to follow him. If he left, Mikey may think that he didn’t care- he may loose his friend. But if he followed him, maybe Mikey would think that Frank wanted to take things further.
Frank cast an eye around the group.
“Maybe we should leave now anyway” Keri said.
There was a nodded agreement and everyone left.
“I’ll go too. Tell Mikey I said bye” Frank told Gerard.
“Why don’t you tell him yourself? He’ll just be in his room”
“Urm… okay…”
Frank wearily pushed open Mikey’s bedroom door.
“I’m off now. I’ll see you tomorrow at school” he said.
“Don’t go”
“I have to. I can’t stay here for ever” Frank said.
“But I can’t let you go. It’s raining. I don’t want you to have to sleep out in the cold and wet” Mikey said, he sniffled a bit.
“It’s okay. I’ll find somewhere” Frank said “And I have this coat” he signalled to the coat he was wearing, he had his hood up. It looked pretty warm and cosy in there.
“Still… you could… get ill.” It looked like Mikey was running out of reasons for Frank to stay another night.
“Mikey, I’ll see you tomorrow,” Frank sighed.
“Please…” Mikey stood up and approached Frank “I hate the thought of you out there on your own… what if your parents find you? I don’t want you to get hurt”
Frank didn’t say anything. He just looked at Mikey, coldly. His parents were the last thing he wanted to talk about.
“I-I’m sorry” Mikey stuttered, seeing Frank’s face.
“It’s okay” Frank turned to the door.
“Frank- just stay. I want to talk to you”
“What about?”
“About earlier. I’m sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, you know, with the kiss… I got carried away” Mikey looked down, Frank could tell he was blushed, again.
“It’s okay. It wasn’t that bad”
“Really?” Mikey smiled.
“Yeah…” Frank grinned “I may turn gay for you if you kiss that good all the time”
Mikey chuckled. “So, you staying?”
“I may as well, hadn’t I? You’re not gonna let me leave are you?”
Mikey shook his head.
---
Frank and Mikey chatted for a while, just about this and that whilst they sat on Mikey’s bed.
They’d both changed into their nightwear-boxers and a t-shirt.
There was a knock on the door and it flew open, revealing Gerard “Goodnight Mi- I thought you’d gone home!” He said, noticing Frank.
“I was going to… but, Mikey persuaded me to stay”
“Did he say he’d shag you if you stopped?” Gerard asked, with that same smirk as always.
Mikey narrowed his eyes. “Incase you haven’t noticed, Frank isn’t gay”
“He seemed to enjoy that kiss though” Gerard laughed, leaving the room and going to his own.
“Ignore him…” Mikey said, pulling his cover around himself.
“It’s okay… I mean… he’s right. I did enjoy it… a bit too much for a straight person…” Frank said carefully.
“What do you mean?”
“Well, I’ve always thought I was straight, but if I was, why did I enjoy that so much? And why does my stomach feel all weird now as I’m saying this?”
Mikey shrugged.
“Mikey?”
“Yeah?”
“Do you really not know the name of the person that you like?” Frank asked, picking at his nails.
“Err… You don’t know them”
“So, that means you do know who it is?”
“Yeah… I’m friends with them actually. I just didn’t want Gerard to tease me. And them” Mikey told him
“Was it someone who was here today?”
“Maybe…”
“If it was, I would know them. Well, at least know their name” frank stated.
“Okay, so you know them… but I don’t really wanna talk about it”
“Okay. I’m sorry. Maybe we should try to sleep now?” Frank suggested, laying down on the side of the bed nearest the wall.
“Yeah, alright” Mikey laid down too, but he didn’t lay the opposite way like he had done the night before. He laid right next to Frank. He noticed the look on Frank’s face “Oh, sorry…” he said, going to turn around.
“No… it’s okay. I don’t mind”
Frank looked over at Mikey “Thank you for being so caring towards me…”
“Oh, it’s okay. Anything.” Mikey smiled and closed his eyes after taking off his glasses and placing them on his bedside table.
“I don’t know why you’re willing to let me stay here though… we only met the other day and we’re already sharing a bed” Frank said shyly.
“If you want, I can sleep on the floor”
“No. Stay here. It’s alright, I just find it weird. No one’s ever been this nice to me and I just didn’t know people could be like you, Mikey” Frank told him, rolling onto his side so he could get a better view.
“There’s plenty of people like me. You just haven’t come across them yet,” Mikey smiled
Frank smiled back. “I know this sounds really cheesy and stuff… but I really do think that you’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” Frank blushed as he said that and Mikey chuckled a little.
“Oh, I don’t know…”
There was silence for a few minutes as both boys tried to sleep.
“Frank?”
“Yeah?”
“Are you really comfortable sharing a bed with a gay man that you’ve only known for about three days” Mikey asked.
“I’m fine… as long as you are too” Frank said, opening his eyes to see Mikey’s face about an inch from his own. “Why?”
“Well… it seems kind of weird, doesn’t it?” Mikey said “Makes it look like we’re an item”
Frank smirked. “I guess it does. But I don’t mind. You’re nice and warm,” Frank smiled and moved a little closed to Mikey.
Frank caught himself starting to gaze into Mikey’s eyes and turned his focus onto the opposite bedroom wall.
Mikey rested his arm around Frank so that they were sort of cuddling. Frank didn’t mind, even though it did look a bit… queer to well… anyone really.
“Frank, I have something to tell you…” Mikey said
“What is it?” Frank asked, propping himself up a little in the bed.
“You know that guy I like?”
“Yeah…”
“It’s you”
“You what?” Frank shouted, sitting up and looking shocked
“You’re the guy I like” Mikey mumbled
“I knew that there had to be a catch! You only wanted to share a bed with me, didn’t you?”
“That’s not true!” Mikey protested “You’re my friend, I put our friendship before anything like that…”
“Yeah… fine. I’m leaving” frank jumped over Mikey and started pulling his clothes on.
“Frank! Don’t be like this! It’s not like I was trying to sleep with you!”
“I thought I’d finally got a friend! But no! You have to be using me! I should have known when you wanted me to stop again tonight. And if you didn’t want to sleep with me, why were you insisting that I stay? Eh?” Frank seemed to have lost it.
“You weren’t complaining earlier! YOU kept moving closer to me. You gave me the impression that you liked me. But that was just wishful thinking I guess. But that’s why I told you! If I didn’t get the vibe… I’d have tried to push those feelings away and try to work on our friendship and getting your life in order”
“I don’t want your help anymore… I’ll see you around”
----
Frank couldn’t sleep. He was just sat on a park bench, hood up, hot tears rolling down his cheeks as a slow drizzle pattered around him. He didn’t know if he was going to school the next day. What was the point? He’d lost his only ‘friend’ now. He should have known it was too good to be true.
He pulled his knees up to his chest and shivered as he pulled his hoodie tighter around himself. It was unbelievable cold and the rain didn’t help either.
“Frank? Come back?” frank looked up to see a dishevelled looking Mikey.
“Why should I? So you can try to get me into bed again?” Frank spat.
“No… because even though you just really hurt me back there, I care about you. We don’t even have to stop in the same room. I’ll stop on the sofa. I just hate the thought of you out here on your own! Anything could happen. And then I’d only have myself to blame. Just come with me, so I know you’re safe. Please”
Frank wasn’t sure whether to go back or not… He didn’t know if he could trust Mikey. But Mikey was his only friend, if he pushed Mikey away he wouldn’t have anyone again.
“I’ll come…” Frank said.
“Good. I hate the thought of you out here. It scares me” Frank could see that Mikey looked really upset.
“I’m sorry. I’m such an idiot” Frank said.
“It’s okay”
The rest of the journey was made in silence apart from their footsteps on the wet sidewalk.
“Well, goodnight,” Mikey said, plonking himself down on the sofa.
“No… sleep in your own room. It’s not fair” Frank said. “We’ll sleep how we were going to… if it’s okay with you.”
Mikey nodded his head. “I didn’t think you would want to”
“It’s okay… you just shocked me is all”
“Thank you for letting me stay” Frank said with a huge smile on his face as he and Mikey made their breakfast the next morning.
“I keep telling you, it’s no problem. You can stay here forever. Mom and dad don’t seem to care. And Gerard, even though he doesn’t particularly act like, I’m pretty sure he likes you” Mikey said.
“It’s not fair. I’m going to start looking for somewhere to stay I think. I’ll still come over occasionally though” Frank said.
Mikey nodded.
“We should get going,” Mikey said about 10 minutes later, pointing at the clock.
So they both picked up their backpacks and put on their coats heading out of the house and in the direction of the school.
“Holy shit. I need to go back. I can’t go there!” Mikey stage-whispered to Mikey noticing someone at the gate way of the school.
“Why? What’s the matter?”
“They’re there! They’ll kill me if the see me” Frank said. He looked absolutely petrified. All the colour had drained out of his face making him look quite ill and spooky.
Mikey grasped Frank’s hand for support. “It’ll be okay. We’ll go around the other way” he said, realising that it must be Frank’s parents.
Frank nodded his head and the turned around, still hand in hand, but it seemed to be too late.
“He’s there!” Frank heard his mom’s voice.
“Shit!” Frank looked at Mikey for a second before they broke out into a run back towards Mikey’s house.
“Get back here you pig!” his dad shouted. “We’ve been worried sick”
Frank didn’t say anything but he would bet anything that they hadn’t been worried. It just looks suspicious to the neighbours that he was never at home anymore. And they probably had no one to beat up now.
They were catching up, he could here them, right behind him. How he wished that he put more effort into gym class, maybe he’d be able to out run then, but he could feel his chest getting tight and his breath getting short. He felt the hand clasp onto his shoulder that brought him and Mikey to a stop.
“You’re coming back with us,” His mom snarled, panting a little
“No! He lives with me now! I wont let him!” Mikey said, standing in front of Frank.
“Oh the fag’s found himself a boyfriend. They little slut” Frank’s dad laughed, trying to get a hold of Frank.
“I’m not his boyfriend. He just happens to be my friend…”
“Frank? Friends? Ha, don’t make me laugh. Everyone knows he’s a loser. Why would anyone want to befriend a failure like him?” Frank’s mom shrieked.
“I would” Mikey said simply. “And I don’t think he’s a failure. And even if he is, then it’s your fault! You made him like this”
Frank sat throughout the whole conversation, cowering behind Mikey, hoping they wouldn’t take a swing at him as well.
“Frank, we’re going. I’ve had enough of these pathetic excuses for parents” Mikey said, grabbing Frank’s hand and pulling him along.
“He’s not going anywhere, sonny,”
Frank seemed to suddenly, somehow regain his confidence and stood up straight, showing himself from behind Mikey.
“Leave me alone! Why do you care if I come with you or not? You hate me. You only think I’m good for kicking the shit out of! Why on earth would I choose to go with you over Mikey! Mikey’s the first person that showed me not everyone is like you. For as long as I can remember, I’ve never been able to do anything right and I always got a beating for it. Well, that’s not going to happen any more. I’d rather live with decent caring people like the Way family.”
“Frank boy, you’ve got it all wrong!” His mother shouted.
“What part of that did I get wrong? You don’t care about me do you? Why do you want me back? Because the neighbours have started to notice that I’m not around. Or is it so you can take your drunken rage out on someone?”
“You don’t have a choice where you’re going. And even if you did, I certainly wouldn’t allow you to go with THAT! Did you see the way he just spoke to us?” Frank’s Dad said, surprisingly calmly and gesturing at Mikey.
“Leave Mikey out of this. He’s only trying to defend me after he saw what monsters you can be” Franks Dad tries to grab Frank’s arm. “Get off me!”
By now, the raised voices were starting to catch the attention of people in the nearby houses.
“I don’t want to see you ever again. I don’t have parents. In fact…. My parents are dead.” Frank said. He turned to walk away.
“Frank!” His mom shouted “Get back here now” She managed to grab hold of his wrist. Frank stared blankly at her, as if she wasn’t even there. He knew she probably wouldn’t hit him. Not here in the middle of the street. People were watching.
“He doesn’t want to go with you. Just let him go. Let him make his own choices. He’s an adult now,” Mikey said.
“He sure doesn’t have the mind of an adult,” His dad scowled “All he cares about is his music and his silly little toys”
“Well maybe caring about his music will get him somewhere someday. I’m sure he’ll amount to much bigger things than you were ever capable of. Come on Frank”
Frank yanked his arm away from his mom’s grip and he and Mikey walked at a fast pace down the street, leaving Frank’s parents yelling for him to come back.
Mikey noticed the fresh stream of tears running down Frank’s cheeks. “You did really well back there, standing up for yourself” Mikey said, patting Frank on the back.
“Thanks… Thank you for helping me”
“I’ve told you before, it’s no problem, I want to help you. No matter how long it takes or what I have to do,”
“Thank you Mikey, you’re a real friend”
Frank gave a smile through the tears.