Sequel: Ocean of Emotion

Broken Hearts May Have Their Doubts

Three

I pulled at the black top that was acting like a second skin, it felt so tight. Not uncomfortable sort of tight, but tight as in, the tag tells me it's made from organic materials, when it's obviously not when it's like nylon, Lycra stuff. I don't even know what it's made of, the label just says machine washable. I picked up a belt from the floor and pulled it through the loops in my jeans, fastening it at the front. I then plonked myself down on the nail polish stained carpet, in front of my full length mirror.

I crossed my legs in front of me and spread out the various cosmetics that littered the carpet. I picked up a tube of jet black mascara and opened it, applying layer upon layer to my eyelashes. My bedroom door burst open, startling me, causing the mascara wand to end up in my eye.

I squealed and threw it down on the floor, clutching my injured eye. With my good one open, I could see Harmony closing my bedroom door behind her and sitting herself down on my bed.

"Bliss, darling, we need to talk about Libby," she announced.

"It could've waited, Harmony, till I'd finished putting my mascara on! I'm blind now! It's all your bleeding fault," I cried, opening my eye to see it was slightly bloodshot, and the skin around was turning red. "Great stuff, one puffy eye, one non puffy eye. Yep, Josh is so gonna want me back."

"Is that what tonight is about?" Harmony asked, curiously, twirling a piece of her light brown hair around her index finger. I'd forgotten that she was coming along with us tonight. I have no idea why. Libby probably thought she could get her with Chris or Dan. Trying not to leave anyone out as she does.

"Partly. I guess so," I scrubbed at my eyelashes with a facial wipe, removing the black mascara and starting again, this time being aware that Harmony was probably going to talk and babble away at me, until my ears bled. Not that any type of injury would stop her once she got started.

"Is that Josh?" She asked, her deep brown eyes were glued to the photographs selotaped to the top of the mirror.

I nodded in response, pausing for a second in my mascara applying, "yeah, that's Josh."

"He's cute. You're lucky you've been in love, Bliss. I'd kill to be in your position. You'll get him back for sure tonight, you have to."

I twisted the lid back onto my mascara tube, suddenly feeling guilty. Myself and Libby often talk about love and go on and on about how amazing it is, not sparing a thought for poor Harmony, who usually ended up with guys that didn't understand her. Ones that treat her poorly, even though she saw past that and picked up on their best qualities. I discarded the piece of make up on the floor and sat up on the bed with her, wrapping my arm around her skinny shoulders.

"Harmony, dearest, you'll find someone. You never know maybe tonight's the night. Josh has equally good looking single band mates. Maybe one of them might understand you. You're an amazing person, you just need to find someone who can see that. Instead of all the other dicks you end up with," I said, sweetly. I was even surprised by my own kindness and ability to be mushy with anyone else other than Josh.

"Aww Bliss," she cooed, wrapping her arms around me in a tight hug. Tears sparkled in her eyes. "That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me!" She squeezed me tightly, sucking all the air from my lungs.

I spluttered and pushed her away from me. "Okay, we'll we're going to find you someone tonight. Promise." I sat myself back down on the floor and carried on finishing off my make up.

---

Music blasted from the speakers, the room was dim, the dance floor fit to burst. Packed with bodies all stood around, talking and laughing, others were jumping up and down with excitement, various beverages sloshed out of their clear plastic cups. Some teenagers were already being carried over the front barrier, after having fainted due to lack of water. Idiots. I never wanted that to happen to me. Ever. I hoped I had more sense.

"Let's just hang around back here, the support hasn't even been on yet, and it might be crap," Libby yelled over the music, she gripped my hand and Harmony's and pulled us through people dotted around, close to the back of the room.

"Where would Sacha be?" I asked, loudly, my voice drowning in the bass that was making the floor beneath us vibrate. Libby shrugged. Helpful, helpful girl.

My eyes swiveled around, until I noticed a set of double doors that led out into a brightly lit corridor. I could clearly see a few people standing beyond them, obvious through the glass panes. "I'ma go investigate, don't move okay?" Libby nodded and Harmony just smiled dreamily, her eyes fixed on the stage. She appeared to be fascinated by the techies setting up the guitars and stuff.

I weaved my way in and out groups of friends, some I was familiar with from classes, others who were simply strangers to me, until I reached the doors. I pushed one open and stumbled through, my eyes taking a moment to adjust to the sudden light.

I wandered towards the merch stand, hoping Sacha would be taking on that cliche role. It fitted her perfectly, so I didn't see why not. But no, she wasn't there. Henri, however was. Standing there, looking extremely bored, waiting for customers to flock to him to purchase t-shirts and various other pieces of merchandise with the band's name printed across the chest.

"Blissy!" A shrill, familiar shriek met my ears and before I could turn around I was engulfed in a huge hug, by the one and only Sacha Cole. I returned the gesture and stepped away from her slightly, taking in her appearance.

"I've missed you!" She beamed, her pink gloss coated lips parting to show off her bright white, Colgate advert worthy, smile. "Where's Libs and Polly?"

"Libby is in there," I pointed towards the doors behind me, "and Polly is - " I lost my train of thought. He was there, standing with Max and Dan, chatting to them like this was a normal, average day. He glanced up and his eyes met mine, excusing himself from the conversation with his two friends he walked towards us.

"Bliss?" He asked, a soft smile making it's way onto his perfect face. "Is it really you?"

My throat closed up, heat flushed into my cheeks. The first thing I thought to do was turn around and run, and that's exactly what I did.