Sequel: Ocean of Emotion

Broken Hearts May Have Their Doubts

Five

Walking along the dimly lit corridor towards the tiny, flat could we call it? I twisted my keys around in my hand, flicking the tiny plastic yellow flip flop keyring that Joanne had brought back for me, from their first holiday without me. I'd never been abroad before, and they decided to go to Spain the year I wasn't able to go with them. Kind.

There was a dark shadowy shape crouched down next to the front door. It was moving up and down slowly, breathing in and out. My pace seemed to slow and my heart seemed to quicken. I hope Josh was going to feel guilty as hell if I was about to be slowly bludgeoned to death by this dark stranger.

I approached the front door, holding my key out, ready to stab my attacker in the eye if needs be, but the shadow seemed to have a face, the closer I got.

"Bliss?"

Oh god. Whoever they were knew my name. Stalker alert. Alarm bells were ringing in my head, their shrill cry piercing my brain, adding to the throb that was already present after making a fool of myself, sobbing into my hands on the bus. Oh yes, it's safe to say, I had almost a full vehicle to myself.

The figure rose, shrugging a black jacket from their head, the piece of clothing dropped to the floor, revealing my best friend standing before me. Her blonde angelic curls were tangled up and her eyes were red and puffy, her cheeks slightly stained with her colourful mascara. She'd spent her time picking her bright turquoise nail polish from her fingernails by the look of things.

"Polly, what are you doing here?" I asked, a small smile creeping it's way onto my face. I stepped forward, closing the gap between us, throwing my arms around her tightly. I buried my face into her neck, feeling the happiness slowly fade.

She squeezed me tightly. "I couldn't go to Ibiza, just to have my dad say 'I told you so' in that cocky way that he does, and have my mum shake her head and tut in that disapproving manner. So I thought next best thing was you and Libs, because you know how Sacha's mum likes to gossip."

I nodded, pulling away from her and smiling weakly. "Understandable. We're poor, just so you know, and you'll either have to share my bed, sleep on my floor, or on the sofa."

"Sofa's good. You'll just kick me out anyway. There's only one person on this planet you'll willingly share a bed with."

A tear leaked from my eye and dribbled down my cheek, soaking into my skin, joining the make up stains. Polly wiped at my cheeks gently. "What's wrong?"

"Josh. I saw him tonight, and instead of working things out with him and getting back together, I ran away like the idiot that I am," I explained, before my face crumpled and I burst into tears all over again.

"Oh Bliss," Polly sympathised, taking the key from my hand and unlocking the front door. She ushered me inside, picking up her jacket and closing the front door behind her.

"I've got no choice but to run away and join a nunnery!" I wailed, leaning my head on Polly's shoulder as pathetic sobs took over my body. "And it's all his fault!"

"Go sit down, and you can tell me all about it, from the beginning, sound good?"

I wiped my eyes and nodded, walking over to the sofa and slumping down on it. A spring hidden within in the material dug into my bum and I shifted slightly, only for it to follow me. "Not only is cupid out to get me, the springs in the sofa are too. Wonderful."