Sequel: Ocean of Emotion

Broken Hearts May Have Their Doubts

Seven

No tears. None of that. I think I'd actually managed to cry myself dry. I sat at the bus stop in town, across the road from the Carling Academy. The tourbus was still parked in the tiny car park beside the building. A couple of posters were still stuck up against the bricks, advertising last nights gig. Two men were standing at the top of ladders, taking down the bright red letters that told the world You Me At Six were playing there last night and the fact that it was a sell out. I watched them, curious, having never seen anyone actually put those letters up there. I often wondered if they worked under the cover of darkness. Obviously I was wrong, as I studied the two men replacing the letters of the night before with new information.

I tapped my foot against the cement covered ground, my shoe making a click sound against it. The city centre was fairly quiet for a Friday afternoon. Maybe most people had stayed in bed for the day, a place I knew I should've stayed.

"Bliss!"

I groaned, closing my eyes, hoping the ground would suddenly and magically grow teeth, so it could chomp me up and swallow me. I didn't need twenty questions from Max. I didn't want to tell him the story over and over until he understood why I'd run away and why Josh probably had a face like a wet summer weekend. Though, he had nothing to be upset about, he still had Jenny.

Not only did her name taste bitter when I spoke it, but it made me think bitter thoughts as it swirled around in the smoky depths of my mind, which was on the brink of becoming insane.

"Bliss, do tell me why you're sat here, wearing last nights clothes, with a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp," Max sighed heavily, sitting himself down beside me. I could feel the grin radiating off his features.

I sighed and opened my eyes, the sudden brightness making me blink a couple of times. "Thanks for that lovely comparison. Nice to know I look like a bulldog."

"Anytime. Now answers, please. Josh is being all mysterious and won't tell anyone anything, so we kinda took it upon ourselves to find you and it's pretty clear I found you first."

"Haven't you got another show to do tonight?"

"Night off. We don't have to leave till Sunday morning." I glanced at him and he was smiling cheesily at me, his teeth bared.

"Fan-bloody-tastic."

"Spill. We haven't got all day."

"Josh told me he was sorry that he ended it like he did. He also cornered me and kissed me, and then Jenny frigging Darby trotted up the corridor, like a pig in knickers and was all 'Oohh Joshy babe!' She annoys me so bad. And I mean, 'Joshy'? He never let me call him that. Ugh, she's welcome to him and he's welcome to her. Stupid octopus, pig woman."

Max giggled. "Nice Bliss. And heres me thinking you were a lovely, sweet girl that wouldn't say boo to a goose."

"Not where she's concerned."

"Well, let me let you into a little secret. You've got so much wrong here it's actually unbelievable."

"Enlighten me."

He opened his mouth to speak, when the familiar 'clack' sound of heels hitting tarmac met my ear drums and I glanced across the road to see Polly staggering towards us, a piece of crumpled paper in one hand, her tiny handbag in the other, she swayed as she tried her best to stay upright in shoes two sizes too small, and with four inch heels.

Many cars and buses honked at her, as she finally reached us, her breath ragged as she shoved the sheet of crumpled mess under my nose. I took the paper and smoothed it out as best I could, reading the poster.

"Speed dating?" I asked, raising one eyebrow.

"Yes. It's tonight, you and I could use a little fun, and by the look on Josh's face your little chat didn't go according to plan," she said, tossing some of her blonde curls over her shoulder.

I nodded. "I guess so."

Polly smiled widely, grabbing my hand and pulling me upright. "Then there's so much to do, we need to be the best looking girls there tonight, full on jaw droppingly gorgeous, so let's go."

"Bye, Max," I smiled weakly at him, sending him a small wave.

"But, Bliss, what about - " he trailed off, as I was dragged away by Polly, across the road, trying not to get myself killed. I wondered what else he had to say, but for now my main focus was having a good time tonight. After all, I needed it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love you if you've left me a comment.
I also love you if you're reading this right now. :)