Sequel: Ocean of Emotion

Broken Hearts May Have Their Doubts

Eight

I didn't look like myself. The person in the reflection staring back at me was a tart. Bliss Bradley wasn't a tart, no, that title had already been claimed by Sacha. I spun around and glanced at my back in the mirror, self conciously pulling my denim skirt, hoping that if I pulled hard enough the rough material would stretch, making it cover more skin that was exposed.

I then pulled at the top, that exposed half of my back. My skin was streaky from my fake tan disaster that afternoon, which had left orange streaks in the bath and sink. It's safe to say, Harmony lost her cool and went slightly insane, telling me about the animals they test the fake tan on and stuff. Luckily for me, Dan came to my rescue and pushed her against the wall and kissed her.

Of course, I'm not jealous. Much.

So, after arriving home and trying to scrub off the orange disaster, I found out through the bathroom door that Dan and Harmony were together, or getting together after a couple of dates, and through the bathroom wall that Libby and Matt were now back together, from the sounds that were coming from her bedroom anyway. Sacha and Max were all over each other on our sofa, and Chris and Polly were in the middle of a discussion about something, and Josh was no where to be seen. Probably off with octopus-squid woman. Eurgh.

Completely not pleased with my outfit, I walked over to my chest of drawers, opening the top one and rummaging through my underwear to find a pair of tights. When I managed to find some, I pulled them on, nodding slightly at my reflection. I then pulled the top over my head and scooped one up from the floor, pulling the Topshop's finest t-shirt over my head.

Now, I looked like Bliss and not a Sacha wannabe.

I picked up my phone and my bag, then wandered out of my room and down the hall towards the living room. Polly was sitting on a stool, tiny white shorts exposed most of her long tanned legs, four inch neon orange heels were attached to her feet, and a top to match, along with several glowsticks decorating her wrist.

"You look like your going to a rave," I said, my eyebrows raised in confusion. I hoped to god we weren't and the whole speed dating thing had been a lie.

"Well, I need to make you look even more gorgeous that you already are, right? I know I look like a complete idiot, but that doesn't matter. I'm not really looking for a guy tonight, you are, I'm just there to keep you company and to discuss your male options," she informed me.

"I don't know, I think you look pretty good, Polly," Max piped up, earning a slap in the chest from Sacha. Though his eyes were still glued to Polly's legs.

I walked over to Polly and grabbed her arm, dragging her off the stool and pulling her out of the flat and into the corridor. She wobbled and staggered slightly in her heels, that were obviously too big for her. She towered above me.

"All the guys will be too short for me anyway," Polly said, flicking her hair over her shoulder. She inspected her nails and tossed her hair around again as we walked.

"Only with those bloody heels. You look like a transvestite."

She slapped my shoulder playfully. "Thanks for that. Now my confidence is even lower. As if Rhys didn't dent my pride enough."

"Oh shut up, you're better off without him anyway. Imagine if he did marry you in Vegas. Polly Maple. It's a horrible name. Polly Pandora Maple. Lucky escape!"

"It doesn't sound that bad," she pouted, rubbing her arms to try and generate some sort of heat. Her arms had broken out in goosebumps. That's what she gets for running away to America and staying in heat filled cities with the 'love of her life'.

We walked down to the student union and stepped inside the room where the speed dating was being held. I folded my arms and looked around. The tables had been set out in a line, a sheet of crisp white paper was sitting on top of each of them, along with your average standard pencil. A smile tugged at my lips, I'd be using that paper to doodle if I got bored with anyone.

Polly tossed her head back confidently and strode over to a table, earning the attention of a few guys in the room as she sat down, I walked over and sat down beside her, not liking the amount of eyes on us as we waited for it all to begin.

A woman was standing at the front of the room. She was at least thirty, with pink and black dreadlocks, and a stud in her nose. I recognised her as one of them who worked behind the bar. She clapped her hands together, calling for order and she instructed all the women to sit down and the men to get into a line. We'd have ninety seconds with each person, and when a bell rang the guys would have to move along.

I picked up my pencil, doodling on the piece of paper before me. I scribbled hearts and stars. Once upon a time those hearts would've contained Josh's name.

The chair across from me scraped against the floor and someone was sitting there, the bell had rung and he'd not spoken a word. I dragged my eyes away from my drawings and looked up to see a familiar face looking back at me.

"Bliss, let me explain, please?"

"I think you said enough Josh. You're with Jenny now, you don't need me, so stop this. I want to forget about you, but I can't. It doesn't matter where I'll be you'll find some way to pop up again and say you want me back, until your actual girlfriend creeps up on you. I meant it when I said I hate you Josh."

"There's something you ought to know."

"What now? Jenny's pregnant? You're getting married and you want me to come?"

"No, it's nothing like that! Just listen to me for once!"

"I'm done listening to you."

The bell rang and he sat back in his chair, his arms folded. He wasn't going to move for anyone.

"Josh move, you're holding up the line," Polly said, sounding bored already.

Josh shook his head at me, pulling the piece of paper away from my grasp and plucking the pencil from between my fingers. He found a clean spot and scribbled something down, folding it up and sliding it across to me. "Your choice if you read it or not." He pushed himself up and walked out of the room.

I sighed, picking up the folded paper and dropping it into my bag. He could wait till later.

Another body sat down across from me. His blue eyes like rock pools, crabs and other sea creatures would be happy living in them. His dark hair was messy, some of it hanging in his eyes, and his face was friendly. "Hi. I'm Lucas."

"Bliss," I informed him.

"Beautiful name, for a beautiful girl, as cheesy as that sounds."

The bell rang and I chewed my tongue, wanting to scream at Mrs Dreadlock and tell her how I simply wasn't finished speaking with this amazing looking specimen in front of me.

The guy beside us stood up and folded his arms. "Not again, mate, I want to go around all these girls tonight."

"And it's lines like that, that get you no where," Lucas looked up at him, raising one dark eyebrow, before waving him along towards the vacant seat across from Polly. The guy grunted, but obeyed, slumping down across from Polly and beginning a conversation about football. I could almost hear Polly snoring beside me.

"Can I ask you a question?" Lucas asked, his voice was like a song to me already. Something you could listen to all day long and never get bored.

I nodded.

"Who was that guy? The one before me."

"Someone from my past, who isn't going to be part of my future. It's a hell of a long story, and I don't wanna bore you."

"Well, Bliss," he sat forward, staring deep into my eyes. "We've got a long time if I stay here all night."

I smiled widely. He'd got me under his boy spell already. And I was sinking into the whirlpool of his eyes, never to be found again, not even by Josh Franceschi.