Sequel: Ocean of Emotion

Broken Hearts May Have Their Doubts

Nine

Lucas Poulton is amazing. Not only is he gorgeous, but he's such a brilliant person too. He wants to do so much with his life, and he told me all about it, and he just made me melt with all his sweet compliments and how nice he truly is. Even Polly was gushing about him, as she'd been ear wigging into our conversation, as she does. So he must be special, since it usually takes a lot to impress Miss Ashby.

He listened to me moan and groan about Josh and go on about Libby and Matt and then Sacha and her tarty ways, and how Harmony annoys me at times. And he never complained, sighed heavily or rolled his eyes once. He actually looked interested in what I had to say, like he was listening, rather than pretending to. He also gets points for looking at my face whilst I was speaking, rather than my chest, like other boys seem to do.

More to the point, he was taking me out tonight. There was a gig at the student union, some band I'd never heard of before, but I was going along for some live music and to spend some more time with Lucas. He'd even agreed to let everyone else come along. Minus Josh, because he was off getting himself tangled in pig face's tentacles and kissing her disgusting pig nose, and holding her trotters whilst they strolled down the street in the moonlight. What a disgusting vision.

So, right this second, we are all standing in the student union, each of us with the drink of our choice clasped in our hand. Lucas was chatting to Matt, and he seemed to get on perfectly with everyone, all except Max.

Oh yes, something was definitely up with Maxie boy tonight, and no one knew what. Since whenever someone asked, he just brushed us off, claiming he was fine, just a little tired. But when Sacha offered to go back up to the flat with him, he declined. I couldn't miss the looks he was sending Lucas whenever his back was turned either.

The lights dimmed and the crowd began screaming, screeching, cheering and whistling. Four shadows walked onto the stage and a few red lights illuminated them. The one in the middle stepped up to the mic and introduced the band, then they went straight into their first song.

I gulped a mouthful of my Barcardi Breezer, my arms folded in thought. I'd heard this song before. I know I had.

The lights on the stage changed colour, to the normal yellow-ish light and the four men were illuminated fully, for all to see.

I wanted the ground to swallow me up right there and then.

For on that stage, prancing around like a complete fool, was my dad. He sung out of tune, killing the old Def Leppard number, and shaking his arse around in his jeans that were at least two sizes too small. I hoped to god Joanne was filing for a divorce as we speak.

"Bliss, isn't that - " Matt began, looking up at my dad dancing around making a complete idiot of himself, then back at me.

My jaw was open and I nodded slowly, my eyes wide with horror.

"Mr Bradley!" Sacha screamed, jumping up at down, waving her arms around, until her skirt rode up and she had to pull it down. I say skirt in the loosest possible term, it was more like a belt.

Dad grinned in our direction, shooting us a toothy smile and holding up his hand in the air with the whole devil horns rock thing.

I groaned and dropped my head, shaking it in embarrassment. How could he find the courage to set foot on stage dressed like a tramp, making a fool of himself. He was old for god's sake. This band thing wasn't his sort of thing, he was better off in Dixon's boring the customers to death with his vast knowledge of iPods and laptops and wide screen telly's.

"That's your dad?" Lucas asked me, nudging my arm gently.

I looked up at him and nodded. I then waited for the horrific dumping. Dumped before we even started. That'd be humiliating. But he just grinned and nodded, taking a swig of his beer. "Cool."

"No. Not cool," I said, shaking my head, glaring at my dad.

My life was well and truly over the second everyone found out he was my dad. That'd be it. I'd then definitely have to join a sodding nunnery. Either that or I'll have to move to the north pole and build an igloo, live in isolation forever.

A pair of arms wound around my waist and Lucas kissed the side of my head, his eyes fixed on the stage and the embarrassing stuff going on up there. I glanced across at Max, to see his eyes narrowed. He pecked Sacha's lips and disappeared into the crowd, heading towards the door.

"I'll be right back," I said to Lucas, unwinding his arms from my waist and weaving in and out of people, until I reached the door. Pushing it open, I took in a deep breath of fresh, cold air, letting it refresh my clammy skin. I walked over to Max who was sitting at the bottom of the steps, and sat down beside him. "I think me and you need to talk."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sadly, Lucas isn't a hooker. Sorry to disappoint you.
That comment did make me laugh, a lot, though.