Dark Angel

The Broken Band

It had been a few months since the day Tre had kissed Imogene. During that time they had let every one in the two bands know about their feelings for each other. It was really rare to see one without the other. They were inseperable. The only time they were seperated was when Imogene was practicing with Sweet Children and Tre was practicing with The Lookouts. Sweet Children's practices were becoming more and more hectic. After the release of their first album, 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, Al rarely ever showed up on time, causing Billie to have a hissy fit before every practice. Soon he was even thinking about kicking their recent drummer out of the band. Some how Imogene and Mike convinced him to let Al stay. If he left they'd be short a drummer, unless Billie wanted to take over drums, but then they'd be short a lead singer.

It was one of those days where the Sweet Children gang were at band practice. They sat around on various amps, waiting. Waiting for Al to show up. Waiting for Billie to blow. Waiting for anyone to break the silence.
"God dammit! I can't take this anymore! Where the hell is he?!" the lead guitarist shouted.
"Pay up Mike," Imogene said smirking. Mike groaned as he reached into his back pocket for his wallet and pulled it out. He opened it up, pulling out ten dollars, and handed the money over to the second guitarist.
"What's going on?" Billie asked watching the slight money exchange.
"Let's just say I won a bet," Imogene said proudly as she slipped the ten dollars in her front pocket.
"We bet on how long it'd take for you to blow. She was the closest," Mike explained. Billie crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes. Before he could even start yelling at the two band mates before him, Al entered the garage where practice was being held.

The lead guitarist turned to face the drummer, glaring daggers at him. Imogene could swear steam was emitting from his ears. She slowly got up off her amp and crept over behind Mike.
"I'm scared. This is the angriest I've ever seen him," she whispered in his ear. The bassist nodded his head as they watched the sight unfold.
"Where the hell have you been, Al?" Billie shouted at the older man.
"Out," Al absently responded with.
"Out?!"
"Yes. Out."
"How could you just be out?! Already you've missed half of practice! Does this band mean anything to you?"
"Chill, Beeje. Don't give yourself an ulser. He's just preoccupied with something else," Imogene whispered from her hiding spot behind the bassist.
"Yeah, what she said," Mike piped in.
"Then what have you been oh so preoccupied with? Hmm? Enlighten us," Billie stated as he crossed his arms and stared at Al.
"This isn't going to be easy for you or me, but I'm leaving the band."
"What?!" everyone in the room other than the drummer seemed to shout in unison.
"I'm leaving for college. Beeje-"
"Don't even call me that anymore," Billie said cutting him off.
"Billie, you have a chance at this life. I'm not good enough to be your guy's drummer. Find some one else better," Al said as he turned to leave.
"So this is it? This is the end of us? Al how could you? You knew this was my life. My life away from that hell hole. Why'd you have to go and ruin my dream? Mine and Beeje's dream." Imogene asked with tears burning at the corners of her eyes. She had come out of her hiding spot and was now standing next to the lead guitarist. Al turned to look back at the second guitarist, he too looked sad. He flashed her a small smile and waved good bye before leaving the garage. Imogene stared in disbelief at the retreating back of the drummer. She turned and laid her head on the guitarist's shoulder and let out a muffled cry. Sweet Children had been her life. It was the only thing that was keeping her alive and sane. Without the band she would've been long gone. The guitarist wrapped an arm around her and kissed her forehead in a brotherly way, tears stinging at the corners of his own eyes.

"Practice is over. The band is over," he said with a shakey voice. Mike stared at him with a look of disbelief on his face. He stared at Billie for a little while longer, before finding his voice.
"This can't be the end of us. This just can't be. We can find another drummer, Beeje. I know we can. Don't give up on our dream. Especially, yours. Don't give up on your dream," he said quietly. Billie nodded his head as he ran a hand up and down Imogene's arm. He sighed and let go of her before walking out of the garage abruptly. Not knowing what to do anymore, Imogene followed him in a zombie like state with the bassist tagging along behind her. They followed Billie down into the basement where he grabbed a hold of a joint. He found a lighter and lit it before placing it in between his lips and inhaling deeply and then letting the haze escape his lungs. Knowing that Imogene would be asking for the joint he had he made another and handed her it. She thanked him before lighting the joint up and placing it in between her lips and doing the same as Billie had before. She slumped down and hung her head, pulling the joint out from in between her lips and sniffling.
"This was our life, Billie. How can he ruin it for us?" Imogene said wiping some of her tears away with her free hand.

"Honey! I'm home!" a voice called from upstairs. The remaining Sweet Children members stared up at the celing as footsteps were heard walking over to the basment door. The door flung open as Tre walked down the stairs and noticed the others.
"I thought you'd be down here," he said smiling. Soon his smile faded when he noticed the grim look on everyone's faces.
"There's nothing to be happy about, Tre. The band is over. We're finished," Imogene muttered. She gasped once she realized what she had said. She had said the band was over and that wasn't necessarily true. Imogene hung her head and silently began to cry. Mike and Billie looked down at her sympathetically. Billie got down on his knees and wrapped his arms around her and held her close. She sobbed onto his shoulder. He looked up at Mike and mouthed 'women'. Tre shook his head and walked onto the other side of Imogene and wrapped his arms around both Billie and her. Feeling left out Mike knelt down as well and crawled over to Imogene's back side and hugged her, Billie, and Tre. And that's how they stayed for a while. All hugging eachother.