Status: Chapter 14 is here!

Slytherin

The Slytherin Prince

I got on the Hogwarts Express with confidence for the very first time. Over the summer, I had changed. I had made sure that I looked different, almost unrecognizable. Being a witch made that very easy.

I walked through Platform 9¾ with my parents at my side, trolley being pushed by my dad and making that familiar rumbling noise on the pavement, trying to walk faster so as to escape from their overbearing grasp. They always liked to watch every move that I made. At first, when I was younger, I was ok with it. I mean, they were just trying to protect me, to help me become a good person. But none of that really mattered now, and they were really getting on my nerves.

"We'll miss you, Paige," my mother said, her voice cracking. I rolled my eyes and stopped just in front of one of the train’s compartments. The rumbling of my trolley had stopped as my dad pulled up next to me.

"Mum," I exclaimed, annoyed. "You cry every time you drop me off at the station. It's not like this is the first year I left home or anything."

"I-I know, honey," she blubbered. "But you’re growing up so much now. And we won’t be seeing you until Easter.”

“You forget we have that whole two weeks off for Christmas,” I pointed out distractedly. I was craning my neck to see if there was anyone that I recognized.

“Well, you might not want to come back home this year,” she told me mischievously. This caught my attention.

“What do you mean by that?” I asked her suspiciously, narrowing my eyes.

"Are you looking at my daughter?" my dad shouted out to a boy before my mother could answer. The boy jumped up in the air and disappeared into the crowd. My father smiled to himself and returned his attention to us.

"Dad," I moaned, looking at him. "Please stop. You’re cramping my style."

“Oh ho ho, you’re style, eh?” he said to me, folding his arms and looking at me with teenage attitude. I grinned. “As I recall, you never cared about style before.”

"I know," I responded with a breath. "But this year's going to be different."

The train's whistle blew, signaling all students to get on board.

"Finally," I mumbled so that my parents wouldn’t hear. “Love you mum, dad.”

I gave each of my parent's one last quick hug and dashed onto the train. In the past, I would find the nearest window and wave out of it, but not this year. I had more important things to do. The train slowly began drifting down the tracks. I could hear and feel the train slowly starting to pick up speed. Once we got onto the open field, I made my descent down the hall of the compartment, looking for someone in particular. It was time. Today was the day I turned into the Slytherin Princess. I would make it so myself I had to. I took a breath and closed my eyes. I opened them again and made sure they were as cold and dark as Draco Malfoy's.

There were numerous students crowding the hallway. I decided to make my own path. I bull-dozed my way passed all of them, pushing each and every one of them aside. I heard many outcries, but I didn't care. I couldn't care. Suddenly, I stopped dead in my tracks. Up ahead was the Slytherin Prince himself; Draco. He was walking in-between his two cronies; Crabbe and Goyle, sneering about something. I licked my lips and darted forward. I pushed the three aside as I did before, but before I could move forward, an icy grip grabbed my wrist.

"Hey, watch it-oh! Well then," he started, and then smiled that damn smirk of his. "Who are you?"

He took my hand and snaked his fingers between mine. I let out a small grin. His smirk always made me go weak in the knees, but now was not the time to let it show.

"Oh, Draco, don't you recognize me?" I asked slyly. He began massaging my fingers.

"I see you know me," his smirk grew a smidge bit wider.

"Who doesn't know you?" I asked, taking a step closer to him. "The Slytherin Prince."

"And you have yet to tell me your name," Draco continued. He stared me up and down, examining every bit of me. "Or shall I guess your name?"

"You could try," I teased.

"Why don't you sit with us?" he suggested, still massaging my fingers.

"Or," I said, withdrawing my hand and taking a step back. "I could find a compartment of my own. Sorry, I'm not into school boys."

I turned around, letting my hair whip around my face, and strutted away. I smiled to myself smugly, knowing that I had left the boy flustered. I began searching for an empty compartment, and almost gave up until I found one with only one person in it. I sighed and decided that this was probably my best bet. I opened the door and stepped inside. The boy looked up and me, nervously, and I instantly recognized him. He was Neville Longbottom, the dorky boy from Gryffindor. I remembered that all of the Slytherins would always pick on him, just like they had to me. Neville was very clumsy, and wasn't very good at anything, but he was very sweet.

"Mind if I join you?" I asked politely. I refused to be mean to this boy.

"S-Sure," he mumbled quietly. I smiled and took the seat across from him.

"You're Neville, right?" I asked, looking over at him. He nodded his head and swallowed.

"S-Sorry, I don't kn-know you are," he said. "I don't really talk to anyone."

"My name's Paige," I introduced myself. I held my hand out for him to shake, and he did. "Paige Hollands. I'm in Slytherin."

Neville shot his hand away from mine and began to cower in the corner.

"Please d-don't hurt me-me!" he whispered. I looked down sadly.

"I'm not gonna hurt you, Neville," I told him. He stopped shaking and looked at me curiously. "I know what it feels like to be picked on by everyone. It’s not fun. But they won't pick on me anymore. And, they won't pick on you anymore, either, that I can promise you. How would it feel to have a friend from Slytherin?"

His expression didn't change. And then, he smiled. It was a small one, but it was there. There was a knock at the door, and the trolley lady slid it open.

"Anything from the trolley, dears?" she asked cheerfully. I looked at Neville.

"You want something?" I asked him. He shook his head. "Too bad. I'm getting you something."

I stood up and walked over to the lady.

"Two chocolate frogs, two licorice wands, two Drooble’s, and two Bertie Bott's, please," I counted off. She pulled everything out for me and I traded it for money. I closed the door and sat down. I threw him one of each and opened myself a chocolate frog. My card was Salazar Slytherin.

Neville and I began talking about our summers, talking as if we had been friends all our lives. His stutter eventually went away, and his smile grew even bigger. The train whistled, signaling that we were almost at our destination. Neville was already in his robes, so he stepped out to allow me to change. Seconds after I had finished, I heard some laughing outside of the door. I could recognize that laugh anywhere. I charged outside to see Malfoy laughing at Neville, who was in Crabbe's chokehold.

"Zap him, Draco!" Goyle was shouting in his gorilla voice. "Make a girlfriend for his toad!" Draco laughed again and pulled out his wand.

"Expelliarmus!" I yelled, and his wand flew from his hand. He looked around, outraged, and finally spotted me. His jaw dropped and I smirked.

"Tell the block head to let him go, Malfoy," I said coldly, folding my arms.

"Why're you defending Longbottom?" he demanded in disbelief, taking a step towards me. I didn't move, but continued to smirk. "Wait, were you sharing a compartment with him?"

"Got a problem with that?"

"Yeah, actually, I do," he growled. He swallowed harshly.

"Sucks for you then, don't it?" I said smoothly. "Now let him go." Draco looked down, bewildered, and then his head snapped back up. His smirk was back.

"Maybe," he said, leaning on the wall and crossing his arms. I eyed him curiously. "For a small price." It was my turn to swallow. My eyes narrowed.

"How about I let you walk away without hexing and/or jinxing you?" I suggested frigidly. Malfoy sneered.

"Or how about a kiss," he said, opening his arms out. He tapped his index finger on his cheek. "Right here. Once in a lifetime opportunity." I wet my lips.

"Ok then," I said. I walked up to him and he turned his head, smirking all the while. I leaned in closer and closer, but instead of going to his cheek, I went to his ear and whispered: "Petrificus, Totalus." I had my wand pointed at his chest and he froze. He fell to the floor with a big 'clang.' I whipped my wand towards Crabbe.

"Who wants to be next?" I asked politely. Crabbe let go of Neville and threw his arms in the air. Goyle picked up the board-like Draco, whose eyes were swiveling all around the room. Neville walked over to me and stood next to me with a smile on his face. I smiled at him.

"You ok?" I asked, and he nodded. Just as I said that, the train slowed to a stop. I glanced at the window and saw Hogsmeade station. I grabbed Neville's hand.

"Come on," I began, pulling him towards the door. "Let's make our way to the carriages."

I once again bull-dozed my way through the people, ignoring all of their protests. We stepped off the train and onto one of the self-pulling carriages, miraculously managing to get one all to ourselves. The carriage jerked, and we made our way to Hogwarts.

“What was that all about?” Neville asked suddenly. He was staring at me in wonder.

“All what?” I responded, having no idea what he was talking about.

“With Draco,” he elaborated. “Don’t you Slytherins…er…worship the ground he walks on?”

I chuckled at how nervous he was. He was still uncertain if he could trust me or not. Understandable, considering what he has been through.

“Usually that’s how it works, yes,” I answered thoughtfully. “But I’m trying something different this year.”

I debated about telling him my plan, and then thought better of it. He’ll see it in the works soon enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
Told ya this chapter would be ten times better. I hope you all liked it! Please, tell me what you think! I'll be sure to add new chapters soon!