Solitirium

Chapter Seven

"So...What does it mean?"

Damian looked confusedly at Elana, not knowing the answer any more than she did. They both understood that it was most likely a code, with each shape standing for a number that they could use to open the box.

"Well let's at least start thinking of possibilities," said Elana, "Do we have a pen and paper?"

"Nope." Damian responded promptly. And he was right; nowhere in the house was there any form of writing utensil, and the only surface could possibly be the floor.

"Damn..." Elana cursed, "This is going to make things a little more complicated. But that doesn't matter. We can just...Remember what we've already tried?" She finished weakly.

"I can't see this working out very well," Damian confessed, "But you're right, we need to just start."

The two prisoners made their way over to the cabinet. They sat down, and Elana carefully opened the doors, as if her movements would disrupt the bomb. She lifted the box from its place on the shelf and set it in front of them, the four-digit screen and key pad staring them in the eyes. She and Damian spent a few seconds looking from the paper to the keypad before locking eyes and non-verbally agreeing to get to business.

"Alright," Damian began, "It could mean a lot of different things..."

"Yeah," Elana agreed, "It could be as easy as the number of points on each shape..." She proceeded to enter 0-3-4-5, but nothing happened; there was no click! of an un-hinged lock, no blinking lights, no "CORRECT!" spelled out on the screen. Nothing. Naturally, she tried opening the box anyway, but just as suggested by the silence, it was as if it were welded shut.

Damian shrugged, "Oh well. First try. What about the number of sides on each shape?"

Elana thought for a moment. "No, that can't be it. The star has ten sides, and there aren't enough spaces. What about the number of letters in each shape's name?"

"So that would be 6-8-6-4."

Elana entered the numbers. Again, the box did not respond, and, again, she tried to open it anyway.

"How is it that I'm already out of ideas?" Damian asked, clearly frustrated.

"I know, me too." Elana agreed. "I can tell this is going to be a long night."

"I sure hope so," Damian responded, "Since I can tell this is going to be a short week."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo... It's been another year since I've written a chapter...

Um...

My bad?
I'll try to keep up with it a lot more. Comments = motivation! Also feel free to yell at me if I don't update. Nicely though. :)