Finding a Fairy Tale Ending

Doctor, Decisions, and Date

I looked at the doctor and waited for her to ask me what was wrong.

“So… What’s wrong with you Cassey?” she asked and I mentally rolled my eyes. Don’t try to be my friend. Your not, and haven’t been since you put that needle through my butt at the age of 5.

“I was sick this morning.” My gaze drifted to a chart of the human body on the inside. Don’t they know that teenagers like to make fun of that stuff, little kids find it gross and adults don’t really care either way what they look like on the inside? I mean really. I was not in a good mood.

“How long?”

“Well each morning I have been feeling sick, but today was the first time I actually threw up… but it always goes away after 12. It doesn’t last long and I don’t really care as long as I don’t throw up anymore.” I rambled and my gaze shifted back to the doctor.

“Cassey, have you had sexual intercourse lately? In the last two months?” If I would’ve been drinking anything at the moment it would have just been spat all over her. I choked instead and began to cough really loudly.

“Excuse me?” I asked between big deep breaths or gulps of air that I needed badly.

“ You could be pregnant.” At the look I gave her she recoiled quickly and instead of saying I needed a test said “ Well, I can’t give you anything and you look healthy to me. Just rest up a bit ok?” she said and left the room quickly. I was about the punch something when Mike came in.

“Rest. I got it. Let’s take you home.” Mike grinned at me and I just glared back.

“Fine. Let’s go then.” I said and got up. I grabbed my bag and moodily walked out of the hospital and into Mike’s car. Man was I moody… one moment I am happy, next sad and the next extremely mad. What was going on with me?

“You seem… different…” Mike said and I just glared at him.

“I don’t like hospitals and I don’t like my doctor. Not ever since she stuck an unnecessary needle in my arm at the age of 5. I didn’t need it, yet she put that long, mean needle in my arm.” I huffed and Mike laughed.

“You wouldn’t be laughing if it was you that got a needle in your arm the size of…” I looked around for something to compare it to and found a pencil. “The size of this pencil.”

“It probably wasn’t that long.” He reasoned. I ignored him.

“It was. Oh boy it was.” Mike just rolled his eyes at me and I slouched in my seat, ready to hit my pillow and fall into a dead sleep.

***
I looked at the test shakily in my hands. No… no this couldn’t be happening! I felt tears start to roll down my eyes and I began to hyperventilate. Who was I going to tell? Who was I going to trust? Why did I take the nurses advice, her thought to my head and really thought of it… and I took the stupid test… and found out I was pregnant? The test could lie. Yes… yes it could lie. I grabbed the next box and ripped it open.

5 minutes later and it read the same thing. Positive. No! My life was ruined, over. What was I going to do? My life was officially over. The doctor was right.

I was pregnant.

And she hadn’t even run any tests. It was the sickness that had triggered the thought. But when had she had sex? And when did she become pregnant? Who was the father? Whoever it was, was in serious trouble. I jumped at the knock at the door, and the concerned voice.
“Honey? Are you ok? You’ve been in there for 30 minutes now.” I heard my mother say and I dreaded facing her. Tears were still streaming down my face and I didn’t want to tell her. Why would I tell her? I looked back in the mirror. I looked at myself hard, especially my tummy area. I wasn’t showing. So that meant I wasn’t that far along. But I had always been super skinny and the doctor had told my mom I wouldn’t be showing pregnancy till I was about 5 months along. So how much longer till I have to hide it? I mean, I still have to hide it but… not with clothes and stuff. Just with keeping a secret.

“Darling? Cassey?” I heard my mother ask again.

“Fine mom. Just doing some beauty treatments.” I said and that instantly made my mom back off. She had no clue what I did to make myself beautiful, but she enjoyed getting compliments from her friends about how great I looked. So she let me do anything but dye my hair. And get more piercings.

Who was I going to tell? Not Mike. He’s a guy. Not Belle, she’ll tell everyone. Can’t confide in my boyfriend anymore. He’s a delinquent. So who? Definitely not my parents. They would go on and on about how I wasn’t careful, and how I wasn’t supposed to have sex and junk. So no way was I getting to that, at all.

The most repeated question in my head was: what am I going to do?

I hid my evidence under the trash and then picked the bag up to throw away. I unlocked the bathroom door and got down the stairs and out the door without a glance from anybody in the house. Into the dumpster it all went. The evidence, the misery, the longing.

I had always wanted a baby to cuddle, to hold. But not this young! Oh my god, what was I going to do?

“Heya Case, I was wondering if that date we talked about could be tonight.” Mike’s voice came out from behind me and I jumped ten feet. “Woah, something the matter?” he asked when he saw my puffy red eyes. Damn it. I forgot to clean myself up.

“Yeah. Just had some flashbacks and stuff from cleaning out my room of memories.” I said and sniffled for good measure.

“What memories?” he ask suspiciously.

“Any evidence that I was best friends with that hypocrite Belle.” I said and he grinned at me.

“Good times huh? But your going to regret losing that stuff. Why don’t I get it back for you.” He said as he went for the dumpster. I panicked. You would’ve to!

“No!” I said too quickly for he spun around and his eyebrow went up. “I mean, no, it’s fine. I needed to get rid of them anyways. They were just clothes we had borrowed.” I said. “Too small.”

“Chicks.” Mike said under his breath and I glared at him.

“I am not a chick and you know it. I wouldn’t be hanging out with you now would I?” I asked and he grinned sheepishly at me.

“Your right. Sorry. So, date? No date?” he asked unsure of himself and I gave him my best smile that had him practically drooling but I had no idea at the time as he licked his lips what I was causing.

“I’ll go clean up.” And with that I flounced back to my house and ran upstairs to get ready. I heard a knock on my door and said Come in!

“Why’s Mike waiting for you outside? Looking nice?” Mommy asked me.

“Oh..” should I tell her?

“You aren’t going out are you?”

“Well…” then I saw a smile that reached from her lips all the way to her eyes.

“Finally! Oh it’s about time too!” she said and literally bounced out of the room after getting me dolled up and dressed. I bounced down the stairs too, all because I realized that this should’ve happened way before now.

“Ready.” I said and Mike turned around astonished. “What?” I said as his mouth dropped to the floor.

“You look beautiful.” My daddy supplied for him and Mike just nodded. I lifted his mouth to wear it was closed and kissed him lightly on the lips.

“Gosh. Your making him die Case, get a move on before I change my mind about letting you out with him.” Daddy said and was smiling, so I knew he was joking. But not about the dying part.

We walked out the door hand in hand and he opened the car door for me.

“Such a gentlemen.” I complimented and he smiled.

“Forever and always for you Case.” He said and then went to his side of the car. Once he got in we took off with a comfortable silence surrounding us. All I thought about was Mike. And it was great to have a distraction, that would actually keep me distracted, unlike my ex.