Finding a Fairy Tale Ending

Confrontations

"Hey, where are you sitting at lunch today? You could sit with me..." Mike said and I smiled at him.

"That's fine. Outside sound good? I need some warmth, and I need to get away from this thing called air condition!" I exclaimed with enthusiasm and Mike laughed at me. Just then Belle popped out of no where. She noticed me and smiled. Then she noticed Mike and her smile slowly faded and her eyes narrowed.

"What do you want?" She asked him and Mike just stood there. I shifted my books to my right hip and looked at Belle and then Mike.

"Belle. He wants to talk to me. He's my best friend too. Not just you." I spoke up and hse looked at me in surprise.

"You still talk to him?"

"How could you be so mean? I live next door to him! He's my best friend! Ever since pre-school! A bit longer then you might add and used to be your best friend too!" my happiness at talking to Mike quickly reverted back to the anger I felt for Belle.

"Yeah, but he's a nobody. It's social suicide to hang out with him!"

"Not if your the most popular girl in school and can do anything. I don't care what people think anyways! Unlike you Belle!"

"That hurts Case. That really hurts."

"Well, it's the truth and the truth hurts doesn't it?" I asked my voice starting to rise.

"Case..." Mike said quietly. I ignored him and kept going.

"Well yeah..."

"It should! You've changed and I don't think for the better! I think for the worst! Your never there for me as a best friend! Your all about you and you know! I can't handle it anymore! We're not best friensds anymore! You've replaced me with that wannabe named Cat! She looks just like me and you get me and her confused all the time! You called me Cat on the phone the other day! You keep thinking I have the same schedule as you and I don't! I have Dance team. Not Cheerleading!" I yelled the last two sentences and people started paying attention to the scene we were creating.

Mike grabbed my hand and tried to pull me away but I yanked my hand away.

"Case. What's wrong with you?" Belle had the nerve to ask. I really exploded on her then.

"What's wrong with me? What's wrong with me? Belle! Look at you! Your mean to everybody who isn't in cheerleading or isn't popular, you expect me to be like you! You expect me to follow you1 You expect me to get you into parties and to be at parties. Did you ever think that's not me? Did you ever think I didn't like going to parties? To tell the truth I don't even remember what happened at the last party and all I had was a coke! Belle a coke and you wouldn't even listen when I tried to tell you and tried to ask where I was the whole time! I have never pretended to be something or someone I'm not and here you are trying to pretend your great and perfect and you care about what people think! That's not you and it never was. And now your trying to make me like you! I am sick of it and I don't want any part in this makeover I seem to have no say in!" I yelled and Belle got really quiet.

"Is that how you really feel?" She asked and I took a deep breath.

"Yes. It is. I can't trust you anymore. If I told you a secret you would probably go to all your cheerleading friends and tell them just so you could fit in. And that hurts Belle. I'm sitting with Mike at lunch today. So don't bother trying to find me. I guess I am now uncool to hang around with you since you seem to think Mike is a social 0. And for the record Belle. He will always be a 100 in the social catergory... because I actually make an effort to keep the friends I have." I said quietly and Mike managed to pull me away this time. I didn't look back and I didn't feel guilty about anything I had just said and done.

"Wow. Confession time at church but instead at school!" Mike said trying to cheer me up.

"Yeah! Never thought of it that way!" I said and laughed. Mike made a funny face and I laughed harder.

"Your hilarious Mike! Thanks for sticking with me!" I said and he smiled lightly.

"No prob! But, thanks for sticking up for me!" he said.

"You would've done the same for me..."

"Well..."

"Hey!"

"Yeah, I would've done the same thing." Then I heard Jason say something behind us.

"What are you doing with my girlfriend punk?" Mike whirled around and I took a deep breath and turned around.

"Nothin Jason." Mike responded and Jason took a menacing step forward but it didn't phase Mike.

"Jason..." I said but he didn't even look at me.

"Why are you hanging around with my girlfriend?" Jason asked.

"He's my best friend Jason. " Jason still didn't hear me. I narrowed me eyes as Jason took another step towards Mike and was slowly raising his arm and his hands were in fists.

I stepped in front of Mike just as Jason went to swing.

"Case!" Mike yelled as I felt the impact land hard on my cheek. I flew into a locker and slid down slowly. I moaned and shut my eyes tight, tears stinging my eyes. I managed to open my eyes to stare up at Jason.

"He's my best friend. Back off."

I couldn't control anything the pain was too much. My head fell to the ground and I was beggining to feel the voices of shock and outrage grow distant and a faint whispering in my ears. Then the blackness took over and I fell into a peaceful sleep with nothing but dreams surrounding me.