Finding a Fairy Tale Ending

Court Case

They admitted me out of the hospital a week later, but I had to keep coming back once a month to make sure nothing was rattled to badly in my head. They also gave me medicine to take if I got anymore headaches or migranes for the pain.

I stepped out of the car onto the pavement in front of the court house. Today was Jason's trial and I hoped he went to ju-v. It would be a hard case since I was ok and everything but I could dream couldn't I?

"You know, I could be you and you could be me right now." Mike said from behind me and took my hand and gave it a squeeze. He pulled me into the court room for I couldn't move. I saw Jason in his best suit already in his seat. He turned around as me and Mike came in and his eyes narrowed. When I walked past him without Mike he said something to me.

"Now your going out with him? How rude can you get?"

"Not as rude as you Jason. And no, I'm not going out with anyone at the moment, but if i was it would be better then going out with you!" I stormed off to my seat and sat down. I turned to look for Mike and my family and they smiled but Mike waved, like if we were in the cafeteria. He was always a goof ball in any situation.

"Please stand." I did as I was told and stood and then the judge came in and she sat down, so we all followed suit. My lawer was sitting next to me and she leaned over and whispered: We've got this in the bag. Military people for out jury and the judge has a daughter of his own." she sai dand smiled encouragingly at me.I nodded and she leaned back and looked at the judge.

It all happened so fast that it was my turn to go up onto the stand and tell my story. I had remembered last week what had happened and I was ready to tell them what had happened.

"Do you swear on the bible to tell the truth and nothing but the sole truth?"

"I do." I said and then sat down.

"Please tell us your story." the judge directed me and so I began.

I told them everything from my argument with Belle to the conversation me and Mike had to when Jason came up. Jason sucked in his breath and continued to glare at me while my family and Mike glared at him. Then I discussed how he wouldn't listen to me when I was saying he was my best friend, leave him alone. And I told them how I saw him curl his hadn into a fist and that anger and taken over and I stepped in front of Mike before I realized Jason was swinging his arm to hit Mike square in the face. But he made impact with me and I told them how it felt to have that pain cut through you and then I told them how I had felt when I was flying across the hall and bang against a row of lockers. And how I slowly slid down them and then looked up before collapsing and telling him to back off. Then the questioning started and I repeated all the answers that had been in my story. And the guy knew I wasn't lying becasue I kept a straight face and even looked pained at remembering the way it felt when I had been punched and when I had flown.

"No more questions." the guy said and went to sit down. Then my lawer came up and asked me some more questions. I answered truthfully.

"Ok, one more question Cassey. Are you and Jason still going out?"

"No. He hit me, why would I still go out with him if I knew he could explode like that if I was even next to another guy. Plus, Mike's my best friend. He comes first before any of my boyfriends." I said and she nodded with a twinkle in her eye.

"No further questions."

" You may take a seat sweetie." the judge whispered to me and I got up and took my seat next to my lawer and then the case was closed.

"By a unanomous vote I here by declare that Jason Byrkly is guilty and is sentenced 3 years in ju-v and a fine of 2,000 dollars. Court adjourned." he banged his hammer where he's supposed to and then I sat back in my chair relieved he hadn't gotten away with hitting me. I watched as Jason was handcuffed and led out of the room and into a police car. I watched the car drive away in the window and sighed. I closed my eyes and rubbed my forehead.

"Another headache?" My mother asked and I only nodded without looking up.

"Ok, let's go home sweetie." she said and my dad and Mike helped me and and my dad let go but Mike didn't. He led me down the rows or seats and out of the courthouse and into the car.

"Thanks Mike."

"No thank you for taking that punch for me." he said and there was a twinkle in his eye." And it's nice to know I come before any of your boyfriends."

"Well, it's true." Mike got in and buckled up, do I did the same. My mom gave me some medicine that she always carried in her purse.

"Thanks mom."

"Wanna go to Whataburger?" my dad asked and my head shot up.

"Of course! Why'd you even ask?" I said. "Come on! Let's go go go!!!" everybody laughed at my eagerness as my dad cruised down the highway in search of a whataburger. My life was changing, and I think it's for the better.