Status: -completed-

The Truth Is What You Will Never Know

The Truth Is What You Will Never Know

When you love someone, you'll do anything
You'll do all the crazy things that you can't explain
You'll shoot the moon;
Put out the sun
When you love someone


I was 4, he was 6.
I was in the sand-box, in the process of making a castle. I gingerly lifted the pail off the wet sand, revealing the most perfect mould of a castle. I beamed in delight, carefully brushing off stray bits of sand from my creation. Then...

My castle exploded.

Literally.

I screeched as bits of wet sand went flying everywhere, covering me from head to toe.

I stared at the wreckage of my once-beautiful castle, my heart sinking.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!"

I glanced up into a pair of beautiful brown eyes, worried and apologetic. He picked up the red ball that had went flying into my castle, his brown eyes never leaving my blue ones.

I stared at him, unable to comprehend why this angelic-looking boy had single-handedly destroyed my castle. Somehow, I couldn't be angry with him. It had to be an accident.

"It's ok..." I said softly.

I turned away, picking up the pail, ready to began to re-create my castle again.

I hadn't expected what he did next.

He sat down beside me, sitting on the sand, picking up another pail that I had with me.

I stared at him, cocking my head to the side, watching him.

"Let's build another castle together! My name's Frankie. What's yours?" He smiled.

You have to understand, it was the age when the "opposite sex had cooties". I had always been mature for my age, and never bothered with it. It amazed me to have actually found someone else of my age who thought the same way.

He reached out his hand, waiting for me to shake it.

I finally smiled as I took his hand.

"Alicia."


I was 8, he was 10.

Maybe it was my small stature, maybe it was my face. Maybe it was just something about me that irked everyone else. I was a magnet for trouble. Trouble with a capital T. I was always the target for bullies at school.

"Don't worry, `Licia. I'll protect you." Frankie was hugging me, patting my back gently as i sobbed into his tee-shirt.

"How?" I hiccoughed, looking up at him. His brown eyes, usually calm and peaceful, looked worried and uneasy now.

"I don't know. Trust me, I will. Don't cry..." He wiped away my tears, smiling softly at me.

"I won't let them hurt you, I promise."

And protect me he did.

I would always remember how he stood up against those bullies. How he stood protectively in front of me, unafraid.

He ended up being stuffed into a trashcan.

And I would always remember what he said after that...

"I would never let anyone hurt you."

Oh Frankie. Why didn't you promise that you would never hurt me too?



I was 14, he was 16.

"Alicia."

"Hmmm?" I responded.

We were lying down, beside each other, staring up into the night sky. The stars were especially bright that night, twinkling beautifully up ahead.

There was silence for awhile.

"I think I'm in love." He suddenly announced.

I sat up, my heart hammering. I could sense him twisting his head towards me, curious.

I continued to stare up at the night sky, and he laid back down on his back again, his arms behind his head.

Do you feel the same for me too?

"Who's it?" I asked softly.

"Holly..." He said dreamily.

And when the first raindrops came, I was grateful. At least he would never know that those were tears on my face.


You'll deny the truth
Believe a lie
There'll be times that you'll believe you can really fly
But your lonely nights - have just begun
When you love someone



I was 15, he was 17.

We were choosing a present for Holly.

He was biting his lip ring, staring intently at the stuffed toys in the shop, picking one up and scratching his head before tossing it aside. I could occasionally catch a few mutters of "Ugh. Mutated-looking thing." and "Holly would kill me if I got this for her."

I was staring at him amused when he turned around, apparently frustrated by my lack of help as I stood by the side with my hands crossed.

"Alicia.." He whined.

"You're supposed to fucking HELP ME!"

I laughed, amused.

"You really think Holly likes mutated-looking... hideous stuffed toys?" I teased, quoting him.

He stared blankly at me, pouting slightly. His brown eyes were penetrating, mesmorising. It never failed to amaze me how fascinating they were every single time he looked at me. They sparkled, danced in the sunlight... brillant and amazing. He had the saddest eyes...a tinge of golden in them. The most beautiful and breathtaking eyes. I could stare at them for hours...

"Hello?? Earth to Alicia?" He waved his hands in front of me. He then knocked his knuckles against the top of my head, as though he was knocking on a door.

I blinked stupidly, suddenly realising that I had been staring blankly at him for awhile, before swatting his hand away.

"You dumbass. Get her some jewellery or something. A necklace. A ring. Better than some stupid fugly toy."

He beamed and pulled me into a hug.

I felt my heartbeat accelerate as he pressed himself against me. He wasn't thin, nor was he fat, and as he wrapped his arms around me, i could smell the musky scent of sweat and cigarettes on his clothes. Still, he smelled good. Familiar and comforting...

He pulled away quickly, much to my dismay. I could feel myself almost scowl, but I quickly faked a smile so that he wouldn't see.

"Alicia, you're a godamn GENIUS!"

"In comparison to you, of course." I joked as he mock-glared at me.

I watched as he bounced off in search of something Holly would like. I felt a twinge of jealously as he studied each trinklet, debating with himself which one Holly would love. I knew how much he loved Holly. I knew.

I just wished he would love me, instead.

"Alicia, which one do you think she'll like?"

I stared at the two necklaces he held out for me, the perfect choice immediately apparent to me. One, a silver heart encased in a round crystal, sparkling and gleaming in the light. The other, just a ugly, plain-looking crystal shaped in a dolphin.

I raised my eyebrows at him.

"What?" He asked, scrunching his face into a puzzled expression.

I sighed. He could be so stupid sometimes.

"That one." I pointed at the heart necklace.

"I thought so too!" He beamed, before turning away to make his purchase.

I stared at his retreating back.


I just wish he would love me, instead.




When you love someone
You'll feel it deep inside
And nothing else can ever change your mind
When you want someone;
When you need someone
When you need someone...



I was 17, he was 19.

That was the first time I saw him cry.

He was sitting alone on the park bench, staring fiercely ahead, trying to blink away his tears.

"Frankie? What's wrong?" I stepped forward, worried.

He looked away, hurriedly wiping away the stray tear that had escaped his eyes.

"Go away. I'm fine. Just leave me alone."

"But Frankie, I..."

"Just go!" He snapped.

I stepped back, hurt.

He kept silent for awhile.

"I'm sorry. But... just... go. " He mumbled, before burying his face into his hands.

I bit my lip, hesitating. Frank had always been there for me when I needed someone. Now it was my turn... Yet, I couldn't help him this time. There was a dull, throbbing ache in my heart, as i watched him fight back the tears.

"Ok. Give me a call, if you need me." I said softly. I was reluctant to leave his side, but i turned, walking quietly away, each step reducing me to tears.

Maybe Holly can tell me why Frankie's so upset.


"You what?!??" I shrieked.

"I broke up with him." She looked away, her eyes red and swollen.

"But WHY? I thought you guys were crazy about each other! You guys were perfect together!" My heart ached in response at the truth of those words.

"You like him, don't you."

She turned towards me, staring sadly at me, her eyes begging the truth.

I gaped at her, stunned beyond words.

She broke up with him because of... me?

I closed my eyes, and the image of Frankie crying came to my mind again. He deserved to be happy. I wasn't going to take that happiness away because of my selfishness.

How can I ever tell you that I have loved him since I was 4?

Lie, Alicia. Lie with every inch of your soul.

I exploded.

"Are you FUCKING CRAZY? He's my best friend! You better go and apologise to him for doing such a stupid thing!"

Liar, liar.



I was 24, he was 26.

"I love you, Frankie." I hugged him tightly, aware of how close to the truth i really was. But he would never know.

"I love you too, `Licia." He hugged me back.

"Take care of Holly ok?" I smiled up at him. He looked good in a suit.

He smiled back, and I gave him a gentle peck on his cheek as the church doors opened.

And there she was, glowing, radiant, beautiful as always. She made her way down the aisle with Dad, smiling at Frankie, her eyes never leaving his as she finally reached his side.

"I, Frank Anthony Iero, take you Holly White, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part."

"I, Holly White, take you, Frank Anthony Iero, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part."

I smiled softly, the tears cascading down my cheeks.

The truth...is what you will never know.



When you love someone
You'll sacrifice
You'd give it everything you got and you won't think twice
You'd risk it all;
No matter what may come
When you love someone
You'll shoot the moon
Put out the sun
When you love someone
♠ ♠ ♠
One-shot! Lyrics are from Bryan Adam's When You Love Someone. Hope you like.