Status: -dead; hiatus-

Hidden Behind The Facade - LIES, LIES, LIES

Un

"Alex, don't go! I really need your help..." I pleaded desperately. "Please... Please help us... " I clung on to his sleeve.

"Zaneta, I... Erm... " I could practically see beads of pespiration building up on his forehead, glistering under the light as he furrowed his eyebrow in concentration. He pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, glancing at everywhere else except at me. His lips were trembling slightly as he tried to find the words.

"I'm sorry, I... I erm... I really have to go... Meeting.. " He hastily picked up his coat, motioned for the bill and tossed a few notes on the table, his gaze never meeting mine. "It was nice seeing you tonight... Keep in touch... " And with that, he practically RAN out of the restaurant.

I stared at his retreating back for awhile, amazed. It didn't take me long before I finally burst out laughing, tears streaming down my cheeks.

Oh my. What a JOKE.


Another money-grubbing ASSHOLE gone.

I stopped as I suddenly grew aware of the looks that were directed at me, and coughed, flushing as I tried to retain what little dignity I had. I cleared my throat, concentrating on drinking my water.

"Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah,now we've got a big, big mess on our hands tonight... "

The loud blare of my cellphone ringing startled me, and I choked, accidentally spitting on the guy in the table right front of me. He turned, glaring at me, muttering slightly about how uncivilised people were as I sent him an apologetic wave. I flicked my cell-phone open.

"Hello?" I sputtered into the phone, gasping slightly.

"Hi honey. You alright?"

"Hey Daddy. Yea, I am. Choked on some water. I'm alright." I grabbed one of the napkins from the table, quickly wiping up the mess I had made.

"So... How's Alex?"

I smirked, and I almost started laughing again. I held myself back, as I coughed, trying to cover up the snigger that had escaped from my mouth.

"Great, Daddy. He's TERRIFIC!" I grinned.

There was silence before he spoke again.

"ZANETA CROSS."

Uh-oh.

"Yes, Daddy?" I said, as sweetly as I possibly could.

Please don't see through me.

"What did you do to Alex?" He said sternly.

FUCK.


"What makes you think I did something to him, Daddy?"

"I'm not going to bail you out this time if you ACCIDENTALLY... set his hair on fire, or... or... beat him up... or do something stupid like... " He struggled to find the words.

"... Shoving his head down a toilet bowl?" I grinned at the memory.

"ZANETA."

I sighed.

"DADDY." I mocked.

I heard him sigh over the phone.

"Daddy. Those guys you set me up with... They're all after your money. They don't even want to get to KNOW me. They don't even WANT me."

"How do you know? You've not even given them a chance!" He sounded frustrated.

"I GAVE Alex a chance, Daddy. I tried him out. I told him you went bankrupt overnight and we needed his help financially... and guess what he did? He ran away."
I paused.

"I don't need men like him in my life, Dad. I'll rather be an OLD MAID."

It was a while before he broke the silence again.

"You already are one." He said grudgingly.

"Daddy, I'm only 30. Love knows no age boundaries. When the time is right, I'll definitely find him. Let me find him ok? Let me move out! Let me find a PROPER job, one that doesn't say "I'm the daughter of Ivan Cross." I want to be independent, Dad. I want to find someone who loves me for what I am, not who I am."

Silence again, before...

"And if you don't find him?"

"I'll be an old maid and stay by your side for the rest of my life. Come to think of it, it isn't that bad isn't it?" I joked.

He laughed lightly.

I beamed.

I love to hear my Dad laugh.

Ever since Mum died a few years back, Dad threw himself into his career, building up his business, climbing up the societal ladder and becoming one of the richest businessmen in the world. But that didn't mean that he didn't devote much time to me. He still loved me, spent time with me. But things changed. Ever since Mum died, he didn't smile so often, he didn't laugh so often. Hearing him laugh brought back memories of the past.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, honey?"

"Please?"

Again the unbearable silence.

"Please? Dad, I'm thirty. I can look after myself."

"Whether you're thirty or ninty-six, you'll always be Daddy's little girl. Well. I won't stop you but..."

I screeched in delight.

"Let me finish." He chuckled.

"Terms and conditions!" He announced in a sing-song voice.

I groaned.

"One year. One year to find your special someone." He paused, letting it sink in. "After that, if you still can't find him, you'll come right back to the company to help me. And accept EVERY single set-up for you... till you find the right one. Got it?"

Anything to get me out of this golden cage.

"Thanks, Daddy!"

"See you later, honey."

I hung up, with a huge grin on my face.

-Someone's POV-

She's the one.

I watched her, a little smile on my face. She was doing a crazy little dance, one that involved silly little twirls and turns. Needless to say, she was the centre of unwanted attention.

So different from the rest.

But that made it all the more interesting.

Target, soon-to-be-victim, Number 9.


I could imagine myself standing in front of her, pressing the gun against her head. I could almost feel the cold steel of the revolver against my hand.

I could see the look of fear on her face already.

I could almost hear the begging. Before the slaughter.

I could almost taste it.

BANG.

You're mine.