Dina Stay Asleep In Bed

Don't Tell Me Cause It Hurts.

“Now I’m sure you both know why I’ve brought you both here this morning.” Mrs Gnarlberry asked both Ryan and I as we sat across from her in the small little office that the camp coordinates used but had leant to her for this occasion. “No not really” Ryan spoke for the both of us, I was completely at loss for words. Everything that was going on, things with my friends, Ryan, Brendon and my friends I was still processing things let alone being able to take on getting in trouble.

“Well Mr Ross, as I’m sure you are both aware this camp is compulsory in which you are expected to attend and the activities that come with it. For certain activities, many in Mr Ross’s case, you have failed to be present in. Now I’m not entirely sure why that is, but that’s what I plan to find out this morning. If you would care to share your thoughts, Dina on why you did not participate in the raft building activity yesterday?”

Mrs Gnarlberry asked turning her attention to me, snapping me out of my thoughts. I kind of just looked at her with my mouth gaping a bit. I looked from her to Ryan and back to her as she sat there impatiently waiting for an answer. “Well, Miss Feigh?” She questioned. Ryan was giving me a strange look, do I tell her the truth and risk my parents finding out about Ryan, my mom finding out. Or do I keep quite and say nothing at all? “I uh” I started. This wasn’t me. I don’t lie, Julie was right. This is not me! It was then I realised Ryan was changing me, and for the worse. The old Dina would never, ever have been sent to see a teacher for bad behaviour.

I sat back in my chair and averted my eyes to the ground shaking my head and keeping my mouth shut. I didn’t want anyone to know about Ryan and I, who didn’t already know and I silently made a vow to end things with Ryan and evict him from my life. I kept my mouth shut and said nothing as Mrs Gnarlberry and Ryan continued to argue over whatever happened yesterday. “Very well Mr Ross. You do understand that this is your final strike, and if this ever happens again there will be much further consequences and I will be in touch with your parents.” She said to Ryan getting frustrated as he rolled his eyes.

“Look, I already told you I left to return a rope I had taken from Dina, without her ‘permission’ and thought it was best to return it.” Ryan said. “What?” I asked being caught off guard and piping in as soon as I heard my voice. Ryan and Mrs Gnarlberry both giving me weird looks, Ryan’s was a plea to agree with him with whatever he had just said and Mrs Gnarlberry’s was a look of concern and questioning. “Is that what happened, Dina?” She asked me as I saw Ryan stare at me in the corner of my eye. I swallowed and nodded my head slowly looking down. After making a plea to myself to end anything with Ryan, and yet here he was taking the wrap for me. What was I getting myself into? Again?

“Very well, Mr Ross. You may leave.” She said sighing as Ryan and I both got up to leave she turned to me once more “Dina if you could please remain, I want to have a quick chat to you.” She asked. I nodded and sat back down as Ryan closed the door after him. “Dina, you’re a bright girl. You have outstanding grades, extremely high extra curricular activities and a role model for all our students. But I must be honest with you. That however was the old Dina, and I’m starting to see a new you. One who blows off school activities to hang with boys, I’m guessing such as Mr Ross, and who is showing a slight slip in academia at the moment. I’m worried Dina, is there anything you would like to tell me? Anything at all?” She asked.

I thought for a moment bitting my lower lip. Before I thought it was best to keep my mouth shut. I know what I did was wrong, I have seen and accepted my mistakes and now I’m going to try my best to fix them. It’s best for everyone know the least they know because things are about to change. I gave her my best fake smile and shook my head. She gave me the same smile back, obviously not believing me and leant back in her seat. “Okay Dina, well I am going to have to call your parents about this, and just hope this doesn’t’ happen again, okay?” She said. I opened my mouth to protest worried what my parents would say before I gave a sigh of defeat realising my plan ‘best not to say anything’ and slowly nodded my head. “Okay Dina, you may go now. Back to your activities.”

I slowly got up feeling tears well up in my eyes as I pushed the large door open being met face to face with Ryan leaning against the door. I gave him an annoyed pathetic look and quickly walked away in the opposite direction. “Look Dina I’m sorry” Ryan said as he followed after me “Forget it, Ryan. Just leave me alone.” I sniffed on the verge of tears as I threw my arms around myself to keep myself warm and to make myself feel as though nothing could hurt me. He stopped at that. As I quickly walked back to my cabin I didn’t hear him come after me.