‹ Prequel: Just Say Anything

Keep Me Guessing

Seis

Second period Spanish was soon becoming one of the classes I loved the most. Not necessarily for the subject, although I loved speaking it, but for Sarah Miller and her silly self. Just like the stereotypical girls you see on TV and read about in books, is Sarah, she is egotistical and thinks she is God's gift to the world. Not only that, Sarah also still thinks that she can woo Zack away from me. The two of us find this game hilarious, much to her dismay. Even more than that, she is shocked that she can't win this game; Zack being the prize.

"Señorita Barakat, necesitas hacer la tarea?"*

"No, no, necesito escribir mi libro."*

"Bien." Doña Rodriguez smiled. "Señor Merrick, qué quieres hacer?"*

"Quiero hacer música."*

Once again she smiled at us before giving us an assignment. Instantly I inwardly groaned when she wanted us to work in groups. This automatically meant that it wouldn't be Zack and I, it would involve Sarah and her friend Jaime Peters too. I was right, the two of them walked right over to us and made a scene, involving Doña Rodriguez when we told them we didn't want to work with them. However, we were told we had to, and we couldn't argue about it either.

"So, Zack," Sarah said, trying to be alluring but failing miserably. "There's a party at my house on Friday, want to come?"

"Soph and I will come." He said nonchalantly.

"Who is Soph?" Sarah smirked at me. "I thought you two were together."

"My name is Addison Sophia." I smirked. "He calls me Soph because he likes to be special."

"Cute."

It took all of my willpower not to start laughing hysterically during the rest of the period. Sarah was giving her all to try and look sultrily for Zack and could not get over him not being into him. It was too clear that normally when she wanted something she got it and she wanted Zack and wasn't getting him. From what I gathered, she had been after him all of their junior year as well and wasn't getting him then either, seemingly she had some issues. The bell rang and I couldn't get out of that room fast enough, dealing with Sarah so early in the morning for a long period of time is not that fun, even if it is funny.

"Hey there," Brie greeted me. "Ready to sing?"

"For surely." I laughed.

The choir class had begun to learn a new song while I was sick, called Think of Me, it's a song from Phantom of the Opera. Mr. Hanson was impressed by my ability to learn the part so quickly, I took his praise in stride. I wasn't that hungry when lunch rolled around, I waited with Brie outside on a bench while everyone else waited in line for food. We didn't get to talk much in choir today, but I could tell that there was something wrong with her just by the way she kept biting her lip and how she sung softly today.

"Brie," I finally said. "Something's wrong."

"What's wrong Ad?"

"Not with me." I sighed. "With you. Tell me what it is."

"Jack." She said flatly. "He has been so annoying lately and our fights are escalating."

"That's normal, honey." I soothed as tears began to fall. "I'm sure things will get better!"

"What if they don't Addie?" she mumbled softly.

"I don't know."

At that moment the rest of them decided to grace us with their present. We were given confused looks and Jack jumped in quickly to find out why Brie was upset. His questions started to make Brie angry, he was repeating them so much, and she lashed out at him. Soon the two were practically shouting, the rest of us backed away slowly and went somewhere out of the range of their fight. They all tried to get me to tell them what was going on but I refused, what was going on was between Jack and Brie. For the rest of lunch, no one saw Jack or Brie again, none of us could figure out if this was a good thing, or a bad one. By the time the bell rang, they all thought that the two would be back together. I thought differently.

"Rian," I sighed on our way to math. "Why is everybody fighting now?"

"I have no clue Addie." He sighed. "Are you fighting with Zack?"

"No. But Jack and Brie, Alex and Cheyenne. It's so frustrating."

"Well, we all knew that Alex and Chey would end up fighting. It had to happen. As for Jack and Brie, I don't know, they've always been cool."

"I know! They were the best couple aside from you and Kara."

"Thanks, I think."

"You're welcome." I looked down at my book that I had set out on my desk and finally opened it to start the work. Rian and I were in Algebra I, the freshman math class, why, I still have no idea.

"Rian, remind me, why did I take this class?"

"Something about needing one more class, and it was your second choice, there was no more room in guitar."

"Oh, yeah," I laughed. "Math is boring."

"Make it fun Miss Barakat." Mr. Watkins said, coming up by me out of nowhere.

"How?"

"Make it into something you like." He said. He pointed to a problem, "For example instead of this being about flowers, make it about CDs."

"Good thinking, Mr. W." I said. "But I still don't like math."

My teacher shook his head and walked away, leaving me to attempt the math and talk with Rian. I was relieved when it ended and I was able to get to creative writing with Alex. As usual, we took our seats in the back and half listened to what Mrs. Klein was saying. From what I gathered we were supposed to write about friendship and what it means to us. I smirked, but only slightly, this assignment should be easy, my friendships are easy to define.

"So, Addison Sophia Rae." Alex said. "How's life?"

"Fairly good. And you?"

"Okay."

"Just okay?" I looked at him worriedly. "Is something wrong?"

"Kind of," He admitted. "I don't want to talk about here though. Let's go up to the cliff on Saturday and I'll tell you, 'kay?"

"Pick me up at noon."

Class ended, the assignment was given to us for homework. I got to science with Alex and knew something was off. Zack was sitting where Brie does and vice versa. I took my seat and saw that Brie's eyes were red and swollen from crying so much. I hugged her tightly and pulled away, scribbling on a piece of paper:

What's wrong?

Jack and I broke up..

My eyes widened at that, I looked up to see her eyes filling with tears again. She raised her hand and stuttered to be excused. Ms. Frasier nodded and looked at me, motioning for me to follow her. I found Brie in the girls room muffling her sobs with her hands. I sat down on the floor next to her and pulled her into a tight hug, trying to soothe her.

"Brie, tell me what happened."

"At lunch, he was just being so annoying! He kept asking what was wrong and then after that we just started fighting more intensely. Fuck my make-up is ruined. Anyways, he was being immature and I told him that. One thing led to another and he broke up with me."

"Aw, sweetie, it'll be okay." I said. Note to self: hurt Jack.

"I l-love him Addison!" she cried.

"I know you do." I said. "Now come on, get up and fix yourself. Don’t let him think you're weak, okay? We're going to go back to class and act strong, even if you feel like breaking down."

"Okay." She said, wiping away the tears that were still falling. "Is there something wrong with me Addie?"

"There's something wrong with all of us, Brie." I told her. "But no, you're nice, funny, pretty, you got it all."

"I just don't get it."

The two of us walked back to class, Brie was still frowning but she had fixed herself so she didn't look like a mess. Ms. Frasier nodded at us and told us to get to work on chapter two. The room was talking away madly, except for the eight of us. For once, we were silent. Everyone could tell that something was wrong, but no one knew what it could be, although, they were all suspecting the breakup of Brie Samuels and Jack Barakat. Both Cheyenne and Kara looked back at us sympathetically, Alex and Rian chose to stare daggers at Jack.

They didn't know the whole story, but then again I only knew some of it myself. It was her choice to tell the story, I would keep my mouth shut. It seemed as if the class was dragging on as slowly as it possibly could and I felt bad for Brie. I also felt bad for Jack. I already knew that I would hear about their fight from him later.

"Don't say anything to him about what I told you!" Brie urged.

"I won't. I promise."

"Thank you so much." She said. "You're a good friend."

"I try." I said.

"See you later." She said, walking away over towards Kara's car.

"Bye," I called. "Call me later."

"Will do."
♠ ♠ ♠
*Miss Barakat, you need to do the homework?
*No, I need to write my book.
*Good. Mr. Merrick, what do you want to do?
*I want to make music.

So Brie, don't hate me!!!
I love this chapter xD

xoxo
Allison