The End.

Chapter Twenty-Three: He's Been Living On The Stre

Chapter Twenty-Three: He’s Been Living On The Street

xXGerard’s POVXx

I drove pretty fast down the rainy streets. Probably too fats for my own safety, but I didn’t really matter right now. What did matter was Mikey. I had to find him tonight. If I didn’t, I don’t know what I’d do. The windshield wipers squeaked from the rain tumbling down on the glass. Suddenly, something caught my eye.

A shadow. A small, curled up shadow in the middle of an alleyway. Is that a person? I’m not sure. I slowed the car a bit to see. It was indeed a man, or a boy. They were shivering pretty violently. Don’t they realize they could get hypothermia and die on a night like this? Maybe, maybe not. I should help the guy out. Buy him coffee or pay for him to stay the night at a motel or something.

As I slowed down the car more, the light bounced off of the glistening sidewalk and revealed the man’s face a bit. Wait. Is that...Mikey?!

I pulled the car up to the curb and climbed out, I looked at my brother. It was him all right. He’s been living on the street? Oh god. I hope he’s not hurt or anything. I swear to god I’ll kill the person who hurt him if he is.

I walked over to Mikey slowly. He drew back to the corner of the little box made alcove he was in. He was shaking more violently. He’s scared. Oh god...

“Mikey,” I cooed, leaning towards him a bit more. “It’s me. Gee. Gerard. Your brother.” He drew back more, pushing himself deeper into the melting cardboard. Why does he not trust me?

“Come on,” I said, trying to get him to come closer. “it’s okay Mikey. I’m here no. It’s okay.”

I took a good look at him as he glared at me and drew back more, still shaking. His skin was paler. Not like the natural pale he was, but a sickly pale. The ghost white kind of pale with a hint of hypothermia blue. His lips were chapped and a slight shade of purple turning to ice. He didn’t look good.

“Mikey please,” I told him, reaching out to him, “It’ll be okay.”

Before I knew it, he was swatting at me and screaming his ass off. “Get away from me!” he screamed. “I hate you!!!” With all the energy he used to get that out, he passed out on the concrete. I did what I thought was right.

I picked him up and took him to the car. I laid him down in the back seat and put a spare blanket over him. He started to turn back to a slightly normal pale, but still ghostlier than ever. I started to drive.

The rain got too heavy. I couldn’t see shit, and it was too risky to drive in weather like this. I parked the car in a hotel lot and picked up my cell. I dialed Frank’s number.

“Gee?” he asked. Not thinking, I nodded.

“Yea,” I replied.

“Thank God! Are you okay?”

“Yea. I’m fine.”

“Did you...find him,” he asked hesitantly, ”Is Mikey there?”

“Yea, but he’s asleep,” I told him, “Listen, I’m gonna stay with Mikey at a hotel tonight until the rain clears up in the morning. Okay?”

“Okay. Call me when you’re about to come home.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Bye.”

With that, I clicked the red button and put my cell back in my pocket. I tuned in the driver’s seat. Mikey tossed in his sleep. He opened his eyes a bit, half asleep.

“Gerard?” he asked, “Where are we?”

Well, at least he’s not screaming at me now. I’ll get him upstairs now, while he’s still out of it. “We’re at a hotel right now. The rain’s too strong to head back to the bus.”

“Okay,” he said. He pushed himself weakly off of the car seat. Within five seconds he was down on the leather seating again. I got out of the car and headed to the back.

“Come on,” I said, helping him up. He groaned like he was getting up too early and hadn’t had his coffee. I pulled him to the hotel.

We were both soaked through to the bone when we got to the room on the second floor. Mikey fell to the bed in the middle of the room and blacked out. I smiled a little. Even as a drug addict, he’ll never change.

I sat on the chair at the edge of the room and waited. Waited for Mikey to wake up and realize what was going on. Waited for him to scream for me to ‘get the fuck out’. Waited for him to calm down enough to realize his problem. And mostly waited for him to realize it wasn’t a dream anymore. It was reality.

I locked the door and waited...