The End.

Chapter Twenty-Nine: What We've Done

Chapter Twenty-Nine: What We’ve Done

xXFrankie’s POVXx


“Mikey!” I heard Gerard call into the megaphone beside me. “Mikey, please get down!”

“No!!!” he yelled from his spot on the roof.

“Mikey, come on! Stop being a dumbass and get off the fucking roof!” I cold tell Gerard was getting frustrated now. But it’s completely understandable. I mean, his baby brother’s on the roof, getting ready to jump off and end it all, after finding out he had depression and a drug problem. I’d be pretty frustrated too at this point.

“You can’t make me!!” Mikey screamed back at him. For whatever reason, he reminded me of a little kid, hiding from his parents who were trying to get him to come to dinner, or take a bath. And Gerard was the parent, losing more and more patience by the minute.

Gerard limply held the megaphone at his side. He sighed and appeared to be racking his brain for an idea. Something, just one thing, that could get Mikey down without him jumping.

After several seconds more of the awkward silence filling the air, Bob couldn’t really take it anymore. He grabbed the megaphone from Gerard and held it up to his mouth. “Mikey!!!” he started, “Why the fuck are you doing this?! Don’t you even realize how much we fucking care about you?!”

“STOP LYING!!!!” Mikey screamed angrily. Even from here I could see the veins popping out of his neck. “You don’t fucking care! Stop playing games with me, cause it’s not fun anymore!!!”

Bob dropped the megaphone and sighed. He handed it over to Ray, not even looking him in the eye. Ray pressed the button and began to break the silence once more. “Mikey, come on!” he scolded, “You know we care about you. Now get off the roof!!”

“Leave me ALONE!!!” Mikey screeched. Ray slumped and held the megaphone solemnly at his side. I gave him a sympathetic look, even though I knew he couldn’t see it. I looked down at the projection tool and took it out of Ray’s hand. Being the weaker one of the batch, I had a little trouble lifting the mouthpiece up to my lips, but once there, it was my heart that started speaking.

“Mikey, please!!!” I pleaded, “Why are you doing this? Why are you acting this way?” I was almost crying now. I was so scared. For him, for Gerard, and even myself.

“Because,” Mikey started, “No one cares about me! Not you, not Gerard, and not Alicia. I mean, look at me! What good do I do to the world? All I am is a sorry, ugly, drug addict! And the world could use less of those.”

My mouth parted slightly as my heart sank. He really felt that way now? I didn’t even know how depressed he’d gotten in the past few weeks. I should have tried to help him more. I should have tried to talk to him. I know I had asked him, but I never really tried. What a mistake that was.

Right now, I couldn’t help but wish Mikey was afraid of heights like Bob and I once were. Then, maybe it would be a little bit easier. We’d take him to a hospital, whether he liked it or not, and get him some help. But here, we were on our own.

Suddenly, I felt a tug on my shirt sleeve. I looked over, only to see Alicia’s capturing gaze. “Give it to me,” she said, holding out her open hand. What?

“What?”

“Give me the megaphone,” she ordered now. I nodded mindlessly and handed it to her. What was she doing?

“Why?” I asked. She turned to me and said,

“I’m gonna get Mikey down myself...”