Status: Completed

A Cashier and a Movie Star...Can They Really Fall in Love?

Chapter One Intro

Beep, beep, beep...

I stood there, like I always do, ringing up the groceries. Let me tell YOU, it is f-a-b FABULOUS! Note the hint of sarcasm there...

Yeah, I work at Shop Rite, whoop de friggen do. Have done this since I was 16 years old, and now I am 19. I live in Jersey, second tiniest state in U.S. Town I live in, is practically non-existent. Even all the people who live in it do not know where they are. No lie, come here, and ask for directions, and you will get this: "Well, you are in I dunno, so you make a left I don't know where, and then go straight to the light till you get out of the town."

"Excuse me miss," said the old lady I was ringing up. "Can I have paper bags please?"

'Dumb fucking old bat,' I thought to myself. 'Say that after the fact I fucking bagged most of your shit in plastic. God! Why does everything and everyone have to be so fucking obstinate!'

I rang the rest of her stuff, and she just stood there, looking at the screen to make sure her things came up the right price. 'Why do we let people like this live?' I thought to myself. 'Calm down... just bag her shit, and let her get the fuck outta the store. You can't get your ass fired. Otherwise, you are screwed. That means you pay for the two thousand dollars a semester college, and car insurance. And you can barely afford the cell phone bills and gas. It's not worth it...'

So, I bagged the rest of her stuff in paper and plastic with the usual enthusiastic attitude I have(note the hint of sarcasm yet again...), and waited while the dinosaur took a million light years to pay with her credit card. You cannot win I tell you.

I gave her the receipt, and thanked her, and sent her on her way.

"God, Joanne, I don't know how you didn't kill her right there," said Casey, one of my good friends from work. "I'm coming on for you. You are going on break..."

"Sweet, I'm outta here. Have fun Case," I said as I smiled, gathered my till, coupon holders, and tally sheet, and went to lock my drawer.

I punched out at the time clock, and walked upstairs to the break room. "JOANNE!!!!!!!!!!!"

"JOE!!!!!!!!!" I cried, running to him for a hug.

"What's up?" asked Joe.

"Oh nothing much my love," I smiled at him. "Crazy old ladies, blah blah blah. So I hear you got promoted from cashier to professional blocker. Nice!"

"Yep, it's cool I guess," said Joe. "I follow the Non-foods manager Shelly around all day and she tells me what to block and stock and whatnot."

"Nice bracelet," I said noticing his Dolce and Gabana bracelet. "Where did you get that from?"

"Boyfriend," said Joe. "Birthday present..."

"Damn, somebody loves you!" I exclaimed. "But you know, I love you right?"

"Yes, I love you too," smiled Joe.

"And we are gonna get married someday," I joked.

"But I promised Casey!" whined Joe.

"It's called a DIVORCE Joe," I said. "Get one from her, and then we can marry."

"I gotta go, Shelly's calling me," said Joe as he gave me one last hug before he left.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally, work was over! I did my usual happy dance, and walked, no RAN the fuck outta Shop Rite as fast as I could. I got in my Mercury Tracer, and started to blast my latest musical obsession in my CD player, which so happened to be Spice Girls. Call me crazy, but I like to relive my childhood every so often.

Stop was playing as I pulled out of the parking lot, and it picked my spirits up a bit more. I lowered my window, and let the cool air blow through my long brown hair.

"Thank God all of that is over with," I said, switching from the CD player to the radio. "Ugh, never anything good on the radio..."

Just as I was about to go back to my CD player, I stopped.

"Yeah, this is funny as hell. Did you hear about the guy from Harry Potter?"

I didn't touch the dial, and listened intently. I am a HUGE fanatic of anything Harry Potter; mention anything that sounds like Harry Potter, I will get all excited and hyper.

"Yeah, it seems that one of the actors has had enough of England, and wants to come to live in America. No one knows where he wants to live in America, but he is in America as we speak, looking for the perfect home."

"Which actor is it Goddamn it!" I screamed. "WHO IS IT?!?!?!?!?!"

"You're talking about that bad kid from Harry Potter right? What's his name Tom Felton, is it?"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I screamed. "Tom Felton is in the U.S.! Fucking AWESOME!!!!!!!!"

As soon as I pulled up to my house, Jody and Ryan, my best friend and her boyfriend, were sitting on the porch.

"Sup?" I asked.

"Oh nothing much, guess you just got home from work right?" asked Ryan.

"No, I just like walking around wearing this dumb uniform," I said. "Honestly, Jo, how do you put up with that 24/7?"

"I dunno," smirked Jody. "I manage..."

"I'm gonna go shower, I probably smell real bad from all the stinky customers and whatnot," I said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After my shower, I hung out with Jody and Ryan, doing our usual lounging at her place.

Tonight, we were actually watching Titanic, the one with Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. God, I haven't been forced to watch it with my sister for like nine years!

"So, did you hear the news?" I asked during the commercial.

"What, you're pregnant?" asked Ryan.

"Yeah right, like I can get a fucking boyfriend, or even someone to screw with," I scoffed. "No, not that! Tom Felton has come to America!"

"Who?" asked Jody and Ryan together.

I slapped my forehead. "Ugh! Harry Potter actor! He plays the bad boy, Draco Malfoy?!?! Am I getting to you yet?"

"Sorry, we don't speak the obsessive Harry Potter fan language," said Jody as she laughed. "Just kidding. I understand... Just don't care. Harry Potter sucks..."

"Not really," I said in defense. "The people in the movies are hott as hell, and the books are paralleled to what's going on in our own world. Plus, magic is fucking cool as hell..."

"So, did they say WHERE he is?" asked Ryan.

"No, they didn't say," I sighed. "Wouldn't it be cool if he decided to pop into Jersey?"

"RIIIIIIIIGHT," said Ryan. "You got a one in a light year chance of that occurring...."

"Way to kill my dreams," I scowled. "Well, I guess I better be off. I gotta work tomorrow, and then I am hanging out with Mary. We can hang the day after if you want..."

"Ok, see you then!" said Jody as I left.

"Great!" I cried as I stood there on register the next day. "I got this dumb song stuck in my head!"

"What is it?" asked Casey, who was on the register next to mine.

"Outta My Head (Ay Ya Ya) by Ashlee Simpson," I replied. "Such a damn catchy song. It's great and all, but I can't get it outta my outta my outta my head. Oh God, I am going insane!"

Casey laughed. The two of us were fortunate enough to not have any customers, so we basically looked at the covers of magazines and talked to each other.

"Brit's trying to get better I see," I said. "I hope the poor thing gets better..."

"Me too, oh look! Katie Holmes collapses!" cried Casey.

"Oh, let her collapse! It's her own damn fault! She married Tom Cruise, she had his baby, she got herself into this mess, so now she's gotta deal. Guess it isn't so pretty when dreams become a reality."

"You got a customer," said Casey as she pointed at my register. I groaned, and walked back towards my register.

"Price plus, coupons, rain-checks?" I droned, like I usually do.

"Erm... what?" said a masculine, British accented voice. I looked up, and to my astonishment saw...

"You! You're Tom Felton," I whispered.

"Er- yeah," Tom said nervously. "I'm kinda new, so can you give me a card or sign me up for one I guess?"

I quickly dialed the manager for the form, and attempted to hang up the phone.

"Uh, the phone's not on the hook uh... Joanne is it?" said Tom Felton as he pointed to the dangling phone on my register.

"Ah! Meant to do that!" I laughed nervously as I hung it up properly. The manager came with the new card, and the form to fill out, and handed me everything.

"Kay, you gotta fill out all this, and then you keep the cards, and you save money," I said as I gave him everything. "We need your info sheet though. You can give it to me when you are done..."

I scanned his new card through, and started his order. 'Let's see what we got here... bananas, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, lemons, limes, apples, oranges, what is this guy a health freak? Oops, nope, he's got some chocolate. Almost had me at goodbye. What else? Interesting... maxi pads?’

"These for you?" I asked, holding up the pads as Tom blushed a shade of crimson.

"They are for my uh girlfriend..." said Tom rather quickly.

"Oh really?" I asked. "Where is sh-"

"Hey babe, I got lost down the water aisle," said a blonde, curvaceous woman who gave Tom a quick peck on the mouth. "They have a lot of stuff here. You could get lost..."

'Wish you had,' I thought to myself.

"Baby, I just signed us up for this discount card," said Tom as he pecked her on the lips. "The girl says that it will save us money or whatever, and I filled out the sheets..."

'Great, I'm a "girl" to him,' I thought angrily. 'I'll have you know I am 19 years old mister, and I wipe my own ass!'

"Great," said the blonde girl. "Oh, and you know my boyfriend of course, Tom Felton. I mean, who doesn't know this hunk?"

'Ugh, don't make me have to gag you Barbie,' I thought to myself as I made a face. I continued to ring up his order, and bagged for him.

"It's okay, I can do it," said Tom.

"No, I can do it, it's my job, and I am perfectly capable of doing it," I said as politely as I could.

"Aw, the little cashier likes to bag? What do you want a tip or something?" asked Barbie.

"We are not allowed to take tips," I said. 'Unlike you at your job...'
"Just let him bag, he wants to do the 'American thing' or something like that," said Barbie.

"I thought famous people have other people bag for them," I said as I put the eggs in a separate plastic bag. "What a pity you didn't bring your PA! Guess I'll have to fill in..."

I finished ringing up the order, and they paid me, and left. As Tom and his girlfriend were leaving, something strange happened. Tom looked back at me, and pointed to the sheet he had been filling out, and smiled at me and winked.

I grabbed the paper, and sure enough, there was a note inside it.

"Joanne, or I hope that's what your name is 'cause it's on your badge, you seem pretty interesting, and I sort of like the store and town around here. Mind if you give me a personal tour? Meet me at the front of the store at 3 o' clock. Bring a friend if you like, and a nice car. I love cars. ~Tom Felton

P.S. You aren't like other girls are you? Oh! And don't worry about my girlfriend Melissa, I'm sending her to a spa so we she won't be in our hair..."

I started to scream. "What the fuck's going on here?" asked Casey, who came running over. I told her what had happened, and she smiled when I finished.

"But what am I gonna do?" I said. "I made plans with Mary!"

"Uh, call her, tell her to meet you at work, and you take her touring with Tom," said Casey. "Who knows, she might even have fun!"

"Good thing I brought some clothes to change in," I said as I started to clean my register