Status: Completed

A Cashier and a Movie Star...Can They Really Fall in Love?

Chapter 21 Haha, Dan Becomes A Cashier!

Dan and Mary kept giving me strange looks during the rest of the plane ride to America. "I'm doing this so I can save myself... I now know that I won't ever be able to have a man or even keep him... It's the only way I'll ever be happy..."

We finally landed in America, and were greeted with photogs. "Oooh! Let me and Dan pose for them!" said Mary as she began to pose with Dan.

"No! Mary we have to leave now!!!! Someone must have tipped them off that Dan would be here! We have to go get our luggage and get the hell out of here NOW!!!!"

We all ran to baggage claim, and got our things quickly, and ran to the awaiting limo. "Who could have done that? I mean, now Dan's gonna have to get a disguise to go out in public now! How the hell are we gonna carry out the bet now?" I complained as the photogs rocked the limo back and forth.

"I got an idea," said Dan as he took out a pair of scissors. He began to cut his hair as poor Mary watched in horror, and cried. By the time he was done, he looked like this, minus the no shirt part )

"How the hell did you just do that?" I asked.

"Well, my stylist taught me a little trick for emergencies only to change my hair like this," said Dan with a small smile. "Why, does it look bad?"

"No, actually it looks-"

"HOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" screamed Mary as she jumped on top of Dan and began to make out with him.

"This is what I have to be trapped in a limo with?" I sighed, looking out the limo window as we drove on. "Lord help me..."

I got dropped off home first, and threw myself on my bed. 'Life sucks... I get a boyfriend, and what happens? I lose it all... Maybe I'm just not meant to have a boyfriend. I'll just join a convent and work at Shop Rite for the rest of my life...'

I fell asleep on my bed, spent from all the drama and jet lag.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Another fantastic day at Shop Rite," I grimaced as I punched in to start the day.

"Hello Joanne!" said a voice behind me. I turned, and almost shat myself. There stood Daniel Radcliffe in a Shop Rite uniform! "You see, I never back down from a challenge... And since this place is desperate for more employees, I easily got the job. I start training today..."

"Well, have fun! Wonder who your trainer is?" I said as I went to get my till.

"JOANNE! HOLD UP!" cried Catherine. "Don't get your till. You have to train the new cashier, Dan."

Dan stood there laughing, and I turned bright red. "Okay, I'll train the newbie," I muttered. I walked Dan over to the till room, and showed him what to do.

"See, you walk in here, and the person gives you a money drawer and you count it. It all has to add up to $100. Okay?"

"Um... Not okay?" said Dan. "What is this?"

"Oh crap, forgot you deal with British money! Here, these are ones, these are fives, and these are tens. Now the coins are 25, 10, 5, and 1 cents. With me so far?"

Dan nodded his head. "Okay, now you are gonna get larger bills, such as $20s, $50s, and $100s. You put them in the last row with your checks. Okay?"

"I guess so, I'll try to count it now..."

Dan picked up pretty quickly on how much everything was worth, and when he finished counting, we left the room, and walked up to the registers. I got out the PLEASE BE PATIENT, NEW CASHIER sign, and guided Dan over to an empty register. I showed him how to log into the system, and helped him get ready for his customers.

"Right, the blue pocket is for Manufacturer Coupons, and the clear pocket is for Shop Rite coupons. You need an envelope for pickups. When you have too much money in your drawer, you need a pickup. A pickup is $600, and you call the podium to warn them. All you have to do is sign, and they take the money. Very simple. Oops! We forgot your paid stickers too! Paid stickers are used for large items or items that aren't bagged. We put them on there so we know that the customers paid for their stuff..."

"Lord is this complicated!" said Dan as he scratched his head.

I opened Dan up on register, and SURPRISE! Who was his first customer but-

"BABY!!!!!" squealed Mary. I groaned. Mary and her mother had just gotten on our line, and Mary was helping her mom load up the belt. "Are you having fun? Do you like it here? What's going on?"

"Mary, calm down, he just started!" I said. I turned to look at Dan. "Now, I want you to do this every time you have a customer: ask for SHOP RITE CARD, COUPONS, RAINCHECKS. If they bag, say THANK YOU FOR BAGGING! At the end of EVERY ORDER, say THANK YOU, HAVE A NICE DAY! Even if you don't mean it..."

"Okay, Joanne. Mary, do you have a Shop Rite card? Any coupons or rainchecks today?" asked Dan.

"Good doggy, you will go far," I smirked as I playfully patted Dan on the head. "Now all you have to do is scan each individual item until you get to produce. Then you have to key in a number and hit the enter button..."

For his first order, he actually did a great job. I smiled as Dan thanked Mary for bagging, and told her and her mother to have a nice day. It made me feel all warm and tingly inside that he actually listened to me!

He was actually a decent cashier, which is funny as hell. Who would have thought that he could actually be a cashier? I had a really bad feeling about all of this, and thought to myself, 'Hm... Potter could actually win this bet.'

"Woo hoo!?! Joanne? I need your help," said Dan as he held up several purplish checks. I groaned. WIC checks... They are evil little crap things...

"Okay Dan, this is what you do," I began slowly. "Make sure the dates are after the first one, but before the second one... then you make sure they got exactly what is on the check BEFORE you ring it up. Then you just be careful as you ring everything up slowly, and you hit total when you are done. Write the amount of the check in this space here, and then let the woman sign it..."

"I think I'm gonna quit soon..." sighed Dan as he finished the order. "This is getting to be more than I can handle..."

"Well, come on, try to last a bit more than one day mate! Come on, if I can do it, so can you..."

"Okay, fine. Whatever," groaned Dan as he continued on.