Status: Completed

A Cashier and a Movie Star...Can They Really Fall in Love?

Chapter 23 Interrupted Vows

"T-tom?!" I shrieked. "W-what are you doing here?"

"The real question is what are you doing here in a convent?" said Tom as he looked up at me from my window.

"I asked first!" I said, putting my hands on my hips defiantly.

"Dan ratted you out to me," said Tom. "He told me what's been going on, and I had to see it for myself to believe it. What the hell is wrong with you?"

"WATCH YOUR MOUTH!" I shouted sternly at Tom. "Nothing is wrong with me. I have finally realized where I belong, and where you belong. I forgot somewhere down the line that too much of a good thing is bad enough... And now, I am happy at last with my life."

Yeah... that's right. Keep telling yourself that Joanne.

"Please, Joanne. Listen to me! I still love you. Don't you dare think that I wanted to send you back to America like that! I still want you to be a part of my life..."

"That dream had long ended the instant you threw me on that plane back to America," I said sadly. "I'm taking my vows in a few days, Thomas. It's best if you just let me be..."

"Thomas? Please Joanne, listen to me! We can finally be together! I don't live in England anymore! I moved to Jersey! We can finally be together!"

"Why don't you understand? I am a nun now. I cannot be with a man ever again. The only man I will ever be with is God. Go find yourself a girl who doesn't have any priorities. Go be happy with some other girl..."

"I don't want any other girl! I want you!" shouted Tom.

I turned away from the window, and started to sob. Please just go away... Why'd you have to come? Why can't I just be left alone?

I wiped my eyes, and looked out my window again. Tom had left, and I closed the blinds, shutting out the sunlight. I sat there on my bed with my head in my hands and cried and cried. I wanted to be with Tom, but since he forced me to return home to America early, I was not so easy to forgive him for that. And I also had promised Sister Margaret that I would go through with my vows soon. I couldn't possibly not go through with this, not this far in the game. What was I to do but go through with it?

It was the day of my vows, and I walked up to the church, and sat through the mass they had held for me and the other nun's taking their vows. They called the nuns up one by one, and asked for their name, and their new name. They were blessed, and then returned to their seats. When it was my turn, I walked up to the priest with my head bowed in prayer, and knelt in front of him.

"Child, what is your name?"

"Joanne..."

"What is the name you have chosen?"

"Sister Mary Theresa..."

"STOP!!!!!!!!!!!" said a very loud voice from the back of the church. I sighed. A troublemaker in God's house? Isn't that lovely?
:
I felt a hand turn me around, and suddenly, Tom's lips were on mine. We must have kissed for a long time because the priest began to clear his throat.

"Eh hem!"

I pulled away, and stared at the floor. "What is the meaning of all of this?"

"Sir, this woman should not be a nun! Please, don't let her go through with this! She is doing this for all the wrong reasons!"

"Is this true Sister Mary Theresa? Why do you want to be a nun?" asked the priest.
I stood there, turning red, not knowing what to say. I couldn't lie to a priest. "Sir... I really don't want to be a nun. I wanted to be something I'm not for all the wrong reasons. I'm sorry to have wasted your time..."

"I shall keep you in my prayers my dear," said the priest. "Off you go..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You better be satisfied!" I growled as Tom drove me to his new house in Jersey. "I reneged on my vows to be with you! If you pull any funny business, anything at all, I will seriously have to hurt you!"

"I don't get a thank you? How lovely. I save you from doing something you'd regret for the rest of your life, and this is how you repay me?"

"Well, you are the one who sent me back to America! I didn't get any letters, email, phone calls, texts, NOTHING! I thought you of all people, if you had any regret sending me back, would have done ONE of the above mentioned, but you didn't! I didn't even think you cared! I wanted to die damn it! You have no idea how I felt! No idea of how many nights I cried over you! And now you think you can just move to America, and waltz back into my life again? I think not! LET ME OUT OF THIS CAR RIGHT NOW!!!!"

"No, I am not letting you go! We are going to my house. You can live there with me. Everything will be okay..."

"LET ME OUT!" I screamed. "Like fucking hell everything will be alright! You don't think that after no contact for several months, and making me break my vows will gain me back? STOP THIS CAR!"

Tom pulled the car over, put it in park, and shut off the engine. He turned to look at me, and I went to hit him, but he caught my wrist before I could hit him. I growled angrily, and just felt a fury of rage coarse through me like no other. I swung at him with my other arm, and he grabbed my other wrist, stopping me mid-way. I tried to wriggle out of his grasp, trying to hurt him like he hurt me.

"Shh, calm down Joanne, I'm back, and I'm never going to leave you again," said Tom as he put his arms around me and held me.