Status: Completed

A Cashier and a Movie Star...Can They Really Fall in Love?

Chapter Three Seaside Heights

"I don't have to like someone now do I?" I said irritably.

"Sorry, just trying to be nice..." said Tom quietly.

"Don't mind her, she is sour cause the guy she likes has a girlfriend," said Mary. I threw her a death glare.

"Oooh, so you DO like someone, but he has a girlfriend," smirked Tom.

"You know, you really have that God awful smirk down pat now don't you?" I said.

"Who is it? Matthew Lewis? The one who plays Neville? Nah, he doesn't have a girlfriend... Dan doesn't have a girlfriend either, just dumped the Equus one he did... Rupe? I haven't spoken to him, but maybe he is the one! I think he might have a girlfriend..."

"Could we just DROP it," I said as I pulled into the parking lot of Seaside Heights. "Cause we are here..."

We got out of my car, and walked up to the boardwalk. Tom's eyes were wide with excitement. "Awesome!" he cried. "This looks WICKED!!!"

"Told you the boardwalk was fun," I said. "Where to first? Want to play skeeball? You know what? Let's go play... I think you might like it Tom."

We ran to the first game room we could find, and I got out my spare bag of quarters(just for emergencies).

"Watch, and learn," I said. "The point of it all is to get as many points as you can. You toss it like this, and it is supposed to go in the holes to get the points. You win several tickets when you are done, and you get prizes..."

"Okay," said Tom, stepping up and having a go at it.

"WOW!" cried Mary and me together as Tom got it in the 100 points hole.

"Beginners luck?" smiled Tom innocently.

"Maybe, but I am the skeeball queen. No one can beat me!" I cried as I started up a game next to him.

"Can I be the skeeball princess?" asked Mary as she started her own game next to me.

"Yep, you and Dan can be the princess and prince of skee ball and live in your own castle made of skee balls and have skee ball children," I laughed with Tom.

"Oh piss off!" said Mary. "At least the guy I like doesn't play a baddie in Harry Potter..."

I froze. Now he had to know who I liked out of the movie. I slowly began to look up at Tom's face. He had also froze in shock of it all. Well, I wasn't going to wait for him to say something, so I ran out of the game room, and headed towards the beach as tears rolled down my face.

I didn't blame Mary or hate her for telling Tom I was obsessed with him. It slipped out accidentally, but it still hurt. I gazed at the beautiful, blue Jersey ocean, and watched the surfers surf the waves.

"Hey, Joanne," said a soft voice.

"Go away Tom..." I said, ignoring him as I stared straight ahead, ignoring him as he sat down next to me.

"Look, Mary is really sorry about what she let slip," said Tom quietly. "She just wanted to tell you that. And I want you to know that it's cool that you like me in that way..."

"Yeah, real cool," I said sarcastically. "You just think this is all a little teeny bopper crush. But maybe it is more than that... But whatever, you have Melissa, and I have... myself. And that's all I will ever need."

"I didn't say that, don't put words in my mouth," said Tom. "What I want to say is-"

"That I'm absolutely pathetic. I'm just a crazed fan living in a fantasy world? Don't you think I've realized that you will never be mine, nor will anyone else on this Godforsaken earth? So, let me live in my fantasy world. It's a hell of a lot better than the reality..."

I got up, and wiped the sand off of my body, and walked towards the car. I sat in the car, and rested my head against the steering wheel and sobbed.

TAP TAP TAP.

"Can I come in?" asked Mary through the open window.

"Might as well, the knife is deep in my heart as it is, might as well just kill me and get it over with," I said sadly.

"Look, I am sorry. It slipped out. You know I'm used to having the snazzy comebacks with you, it just came out at the wrong situation," said Mary.

"He thinks I'm pathetic..." I sobbed, banging my head on the steering wheel and making the horn blow.

"You aren't pathetic!" said Mary. "And he couldn't believe that you liked him that way. I mean, you didn't give him that type of vibe you know..."

"We just met Mare," I said, looking up at her. "You can't possibly get vibes within the course of like a few hours!"

"I dunno, he seemed kinda... Happy that you like him that way," said Mary.

"HE-HAS-A-GIRLFRIEND!" I wailed.

"Um, hello? He can DUMP her ass you know?" said Mary.

"Right, like someone would do that for me," I said.