Shame Shame on Me

Warped Tour Wake-Up Call

I watched the sun rise over the hills of whatever state we were in through the great, big window. It's golden fingers hardly touching the wavy horizon. It was really pretty. I sat on the couch wrapped in a blanket and sipping at hot tea. SpongeBob SquarePants was the only thing that was actually good to watch at five thirty in the morning. It's all I could do, watch TV. Only because I know I suck horribly at all the video games laying around the bus. Nor am I any good at World Of Warcraft, and I'm sure Matt would kill me.

I sat in the near silence, slowly beginning to feel my eyelids become heavy. I was surprised. I've been awake for hours with no problem and the slight aid of caffeine only made me more surprised that I was beginning to doze off. I was right, I was given a narcotic after all. Five minutes later, I began a loud, long yawning sequence. This just made me want to give up, but I can't say that I wasn't scared to. Sighing, I laid my head down on the cushion and pulled the blanket under my chin. Within seconds, I was dead asleep.

I shifted under my blanket, slightly waking myself up as realized that I was hearing the muffled sounds of footsteps and loud whispers traveling throughout the bus. I knew that the guys were getting ready, and just rolled over and went about my business. But I soon felt someone lift my head a little, and slide something cold behind my shoulders. I flopped back down, and it was a pillow. I smiled, mentally grateful.

What seemed like seconds later, someone's hands were patting me on the shoulder, their voice quietly talking right next to my ear.

"Em, hey Em. Wake up, I have to crawl over you, sweetie," came the voice. I shifted my body so that they could do what they needed to do, but I wasn't too happy about it. A bright-ass light came from above me, instantly making my face hot and hurting my eyes, even though they were closed. I groaned and grunted in my sleep, squeaking slightly to express my displeasure.

"I'm sorry hunny, but you've got to wake up sooner or later," Steve's voice became clearer, but that didn't change that I was a bit pissed off. "In fact, you should walk around a little. Probably before it gets too hot," he said. I rolled over onto my face and grunted loudly, meaning to say 'ten more minutes.' But that's not what he heard.

"Hey, maybe you can get her up. I can't do shit!" Steve said to someone. I felt someone's hand on my back, making me angrier.

'What's with all these people fuckin' touching me?! I'm sleeping for Christ's sake!' I thought bitterly.

"Baby, wake up, please? For me?" It was Sonny. This made me slightly happier.

"But I don't wanna! I'm sleeping!" I said through the pillow. I heard him laugh.

"No you're not."

"Yes I am!"

"No, baby, you're not. You're talking to me," he argued playfully with me, rubbing circles in my mid-lower back.

"How do you know that I'm not sleep talking?"

"Because you wouldn't have said that." 'Damn....'

"Fine, but Stevers woke me up and then you came along!" I defended childishly.

"Okay, you've got that one, but you really need to get up, you'll be awake all night, and that'll hurt your health." I turned my head, keeping my eyes tightly closed and my nose wrinkled. I knew he was smiling.

He pressed his lips to mine, and I relaxed my facial muscles. This was a good way to wake up, I would think. Then I remembered: morning breath. But then again, he gets me with it all the time.

"Whoo baby! Tic-Tac please?"

"Oh-ho-ho! You think mine's bad? have you ever kissed yourself when you wake up?"

"No."

"Well I kiss you every morning, and you know what your 'Morning Breath Delight' tastes like?" I looked at him with one accusing eye open. He was smiling and noticably supressing laughter.

"No Emmy, enlighten me."

"Ass, sweetie. Totalass." Sonny and I laughed for a few moments before he pulled me up and I was brought to the bathroom. He picked my clothes, including fresh underwear and socks. Once I was dressed I realized that he picked me out my favorite shirt and pants. My black and pink shirt that went down past my hips and hugged my curves. And my loose jeans that are ripped once on the right thigh and again on the left knee. I smiled, also noticing that he gave me his favorite pair of my underwear. Dark blue, lacey Victoria's Secret boy shorts. I giggled as I got dressed.

Once I came out, he was sitting on the couch fiddling with his fingers. I smiled at him, as if to ask him if he was happy. He smiled back at me, getting up to give me a hug. As I wrapped my arms around his neck, the sun caught the ring on my finger. I remembered that we were engaged, and my mind was put further at ease.

"Come on, and you might want to grab a pair of sunglasses, it's a bit bright at first," he warned. I grabbed his big glasses, my laminate and we took off. And he was right, it was like staring into someone's high beams on a new moon and starless night. Eek!

We held hands and walked around in big circles. We both stopped off at the merch tent, and our buddy Cuddles was selling like mad, so we just waved and left. Cuddles is our merch guy, and he's cool with me in small doses. He's a tad narcissistic. His real name's Ricky, and he's not riding with us because his girlfriend's on another bus with another band and she's clingy. Almost and exact reenactment of the old Greek tale of Narcissus and Echo.

Sonny looked over to me, grinning. I looked at him like he was crazy and thought, 'Man he's beautiful in the sunlight. I'm glad I'm with you, Sonny Johnathan Moore.'