I'm Not in Love, This Is Not My Heart

Don't Belong

William and I had always been able to tell each other everything, even when the conversation got awkward. Like when he told me he wanted to lose his virginity to me in high school simply because his baseball team had been teasing him. It had been even more awkward when our parents found out. But William and I hadn't seemed to mind what anyone thought, we were best friends willing to do almost anything for each other.

William was the one I could always go to for his opinion and no he would tell me what he really thought, even if he hated what ever I was asking him about. I was the same for William, no matter what I would tell him what I really thought. We had no secrets from each other. It's what made our friendship so strong or at least that's what I thought.

"William!" I called knocking on the door of his apartment. I had stayed up all night working on my book and I wanted him to read it and tell me what he though. I wasn't going to ask Sisky or one of the other guys because they would just say it was good and hand me back my laptop. William on the other hand would give me suggestions and tell me if he didn't like part of it.

The door opened a few minutes to William in just his boxers and I what I could swear was sex hair.

Cue awkward silence

"Hi Amber" he said rubbing the back of his neck.

"William?"

"Yes"

"Did you just wake up or is that sex hair?"

"Both?" he asked more than answered after a few moments.

"Okay" I said backing away slowly "I'm going to go now"

"Amber wait" William said sighing "You can come in if you want. She just left"

She must have been the bleach blonde who had walked past me on my way to the elevator with a huge smile on her face. She had too much make-up and dressed in a way that would catch anyone's attention.

"She who?" I asked.

"My girlfriend"

It felt like he stabbed me. Not because I was upset he had a girlfriend but because he hadn't told me about her before. I thought he told me everything.

"I know that look Amber" William said looking at me sadly "I know I didn't tell you and I really should have but-"

"No William it's fine" I said trying to keep the disappointment from my voice.

"You have your laptop" William said obviously changing the subject "Is there something you wanted me to read? Your book hopefully?"

William was the one constantly bugging me to write more of my book so he could read it. He was defiantly hooked and that had always been able to make me smile, but not this time. I was too upset he hadn't told me about her.

"It's not much" I said moving my laptop away from his out stretched hand. "Maybe you should wait until I write a little more. I know how much you hate Cliffhangers"

That was a lie, I had stayed up all night writing two whole chapters just for him. I didn't want him to read them now though, I felt too betrayed. How did I know he was even going to tell me what he really thought? He had kept something from me for the first time in our lives, at least this was the first time I knew about. What else had he not told me in the years we have known each other?

"You're mad at me aren't you?" he asked sighing.

"No" I answered not looking at him "I just need to go show this to my publisher. I'll show it to you later"

"But you always let me read it first" he said looking hurt.

I handed William my laptop and he smiled before pulling me into the apartment.

"Wait here" he said setting the laptop on the coffee table in front of his couch "I'm going to go get dressed. I'll be right back"

I sat on the couch and looked around William's apartment. William had been living here since we first got out of high school and even the first time I had stepped foot in the apartment, it felt like a second home to me because William was there. But now looking around, I felt like I didn't quite belong there.