Take Off Your Make Up and Put Down the Camera

Twenty-Seven

Later on that night, I got a call from mom at work. She was crying.

“MOM?!”

“Oh thank God you’re okay. Where is your sister?”

“In her room…why?”

“Turn on the news.”

I did. There had been a massive wreck on the highway. My baby blue Honda Civic sat demolished on the shoulder.

“GABE!”

“What?” Mom asked, clearly confused.

“I let Gabe borrow my car. He took the rental back last night and he was taking Jazz to the airport.”

“Oh baby, I’m sorry.”

I just shook my head, letting tears fall.

“I gotta go mom.”

I didn’t even let her say good-bye before I hit end.

“AUDRA!”

Audra ran down the stairs, “What?”

“Gabe was in an accident. It’s on the news.”

She pulled me into a hug and we sat there for a few minutes, before I called Ryland. He told me that they only knew that Gabe was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center and that they were on their way now.

“Audra, will you drive me?”

Audra nodded and then called the boys of The Academy Is…

It would take them about an hour to get to the hospital because they were in Barrington, but they were coming.

I was shaking all the way to the hospital. I don’t know if Gabe is seriously hurt and I’m just freaking out. Last time I went to the hospital, I lost my dad. I don’t need to lose Gabe, too.

We finally made it to the hospital, it seemed like hours, but in reality was only ten minutes.
I walked in the doors, Audra following me, to find the rest of Cobra in the ER waiting room.

“Anything?” I asked.

“Nothing yet,” Alex replied. I sat down in between him and Ryland.

“The last thing I said to him was to be careful. He told me he would…” I started sobbing again and I was pulled into Alex’s lap.

“It’s okay, Keegan,” Alex whispered.

When I said that Gabe was going to be the death of me, I didn’t mean literally.