Someday I will Understand

Chapter 13 How do I cope

Kate and Gerard had both decided to get some room service after there little loving making session, both were in happy moods and really enjoying each other’s companies, while looking at the menu Kate couldn’t decide between the spaghetti or just a chicken caesar salad to her both sounded appealing. While Gerard already made his decision (he was going with the spaghetti) he couldn’t help but watch Kate study the menu as she was still fully naked, while staring at her naked back he traced his fingers along her spine up to her neck where he slowly started to caress her neck with soft sensual kisses.

As Kate was enjoying Gerard being romantic with her and slightly getting turned on again, she could see from the corner of her eye that her mobile was ringing, she knew she had to answer it, so with her free hand she grabbed the phone and saw that it was Keisha calling.
Pushing Gerard softly away she grabbed a towel rapped it around her naked body and answered her phone.

“Hey Keish what’s up”
Kate could tell straight away that there was something wrong as she could hear that Keisha was crying.

“Wh-er-ere ha-ve-ve you-u-u be-e-e-en? Keisha said crying uncontrollably
“What’s wrong honey, I’m with Gerard, are you ok?

Keisha didnt know what to say, how do I tell her.
“You-ou need to-o-o get to the hospital”

Kate was now getting worried and started to yell down the phone “What’s going on, Keisha why do I have to go to the hospital for”

Keisha didnt know how to tell her and she knew she couldn’t so she repeated herself trying to speak more clearly though her crying “You need to come to Cedars-Senai Medical Centre NOW!”

Kate was now extremely worried “Ok I’ll be there in about 10 minutes”
Gerard by now was getting dressed and he could tell by Kate’s facial expression she was deeply worried.
“I don’t know what is going on, she wouldn’t tell me, but to go to the hospital and now I’m all worried”
“I’m sure it will be fine babe, do you want me to go with you?”
“Yeah that would be great” Kate said as she kissed Gerard on the lips

As they headed to the hospital - Kate became increasingly worried, all different thoughts were running through her head not knowing what was going on made her very uncomfortable, she was praying that it was something very silly.
Gerard on the other hand was also worried, he could see that Kate was feeling that way too and he hated seeing her like this.

They finally arrived at Cedars-Senai Medical Centre and Kate run to the emergency room where she saw that Keisha was waiting for her. Gerard followed behind her.

“Keish, what’s going on, I’m all worried” Kate said
“ I’ll get Lance and the Doctor”

Kate suddenly realised that there was something very wrong, Gerard just held her hand and followed her along with Keisha to where Lance was with the doctor, now in a small private room there was a young man maybe in his early 30's wearing a white doctors coat who Kate thought would be the doctor, she noticed that Lance was there but not looking at her, he had his head turned away.

Kate quite upset now was wondering why no one would tell her what was going on, Gerard just held her hand tightly and stood there quietly.

“Can someone please tell me what’s going on here, I’m worried sick and I have no idea what’s going on?”

The doctor finally spoke “Hello Mrs Bass I am Dr. Edwards, May I suggest you sit down so we can talk privately”while also looking at Gerard

“I don’t want to sit down, just tell me please, this is my boyfriend he can stay” Kate said getting more agitated

“Mrs Bass I’m sorry to tell you that your son has passed away, he came to the hospital not breathing, we currently have him on a respirator but he is brain dead”

Kate looked at the doctor confused, Gerard couldn’t believe the words he was hearing out of the doctors mouth.
“This is fucking bullshit, where’s my son” Kate said screaming

Lance had finally turned around to look at Kate and got up from the chair that he was sitting on and walked over to her.
“Its true Kate” he said crying “I found him after I had put him down for a nap and when I went to wake him he wasn’t breathing, we have been trying to call you for the last hour. They currently have him on a respirator but he’s gone”

“I wanna see him I don’t believe any of you, take me to my son”
Gerard still holding Kate’s hand could see the tears start to well up in her eyes. He whispered in her ear, “Its ok baby, I’ll be here with you”
Kate looked at Gerard and snapped “It’s not fucking ok, these people are trying to tell me my son is dead, I cant believe it”
Gerard understood that kate was angry and very upset “Lets go and see him then”

Kate along with Gerard, Keisha, Lance followed the Doctor to another private room where kate could see with her own eyes that unfortunatly her son was lying there with tubes coming out of his body to keep his other organs alive.

Kate couldnt believe what she was seeing, though she was starting to fully understand what she was being told, as Lance tried to explain to her one more time, Kate finally broke down, the tears came flooding out as Gerard went to grab her, she started yelling out no no no it cant be true before she finally collasped to the floor as Gerard held her he didnt know what else to do besides that.

After sometime Kate whispered to Gerard “I wanna see my little boy”
Lance could see that there was movement and looked towards kate, “Do you wanna see him”
Kate looked at Lance and just nodded, slowly she followed behind him. Gerard and Keisha just waited behind.

As Kate walked into the room where her little boy lay she started to softly cry again. She walked over and put her son’s tiny fingers in her hand and started to talk to him “I love you pumpkin, you’re my beautiful little boy”

While outside the room, Gerard was still trying to fully understand what had just happened he didnt know where to start.

Keisha started to speak “The doctors said he has died from SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)”
Gerard continued to listen to what Keisha had to say “They said there are no other symptons to suggest otherwise”
Gerard just whispered “Shit”
While they continued to talk, Gerard said “I’m gonna ring the guys and let them know what has happened”

And with that Gerard walked out of the hospital to make his phone calls.