Someday I will Understand

Chapter 14 When does the pain end

Once Gerard got back to where Kate was he noticed that she was no longer in the room, still sitting outside the room was Keisha, just silently crying to herself.

Gerard walked over, sat down besides her and gave her a hug. Keisha began to softly speak “Kate has gone with Lance, I think they are going to be turning the machines off”

All Gerard could think was that he wanted to be there for her, no where else but at the same time he dint know how he was gonna cope when the girl he loved *he had finally realised the feelings he couldn’t understand what they were was in fact love* was in so much pain.

Gerard just sat quietly when all of a sudden an older couple came running up to where Keisha was sitting.
“Keisha, where is Lance and Kate”
Keisha looked and realised who they were “Jim, Dianne, they are with the doctor, um I guess you can knock on the door”

As the older couple went to the door, Gerard quietly said to Keisha “Who’s that?”
“That’s Lance’s parents”

All of a sudden the door opened and Kate walked out crying uncontrollably, Gerard rushed to be by her side, but Lance’s mum pushed her way past him and hugged Kate very tight, Kate could see that Gerard was there and at this moment all she wanted was his arms around her, she let go of Dianne and walked up to Gerard and in to his arms where he held her tight, she softly cried into his shoulder

“Baby I’m so sorry” Gerard said to Kate as he kissed her forehead
Kate started to crumble again as she spoke to Gerard “They ar-re go-in t-o-o turn the machine o-o-ff”
“Aww baby, I’ll be here with you, I’m not going anywhere”
“My parents are flying from Australia”
“Shh... just relax” Gerard said trying to comfort Kate

Dr. Edwards came from the small room with Lance behind him and said it’s time.
Kate broke down even further, as Gerard held her and took her to where Hayden was so she could say goodbye.

Looking at Hayden while he lay there very still with just the respirator making him breathe, Kate bent down kissed him on the cheek and told him "Mummy loves you very much"

As Lance said goodbye as well, the doctor turned the respirator off and with in a few seconds came the beeping sound telling them Hayden was physically dead now.
Hearing that sound made Kate ran out of the room and she started rambling not making any sense.
Gerard followed behind, “Kate I no its not ok.... but trust me baby I’ll be here”
“I need to get out of here, I cant be here anymore, please take me home.

Gerard took Kate with him and told everyone that was there that he was taking Kate home.
Lance’s mum Dianne just looked at him “Who are you, I think we can take Kate home”
Kate spoke up “Dianne this is my boyfriend and he is taking me home, I don’t need any shit, I just need to get out of here”

Gerard walked Kate to her car and told her he would drive her back to her house, on the way there Gerard rang Mikey and told him where he was going to be.

They Finally reached Kate’s house, once inside Kate ran up to Hayden’s room - believing this had all been a dream
but it wasn’t, reality had really hit

Kate started to think how am I going to cope, the pain she was going through was unbearable, the person she loved the most in this whole entire world had left, she started to beat herself up with thoughts such as I am his mother I should have been able to protect him, why am I being punished for.

Gerard saw that Kate was slumped on the floor holding one of Hayden's soft toys, so he picked her up and asked her where her room was as he had never been to her house, he placed her on the bed so she could lay down, once he had placed her on the bed he placed her in his arms so he could just hold her.

Before he knew it time had passed very quickly and Lance walked into Kate’s room, Gerard was just holding her while Kate continued to cry.

“Kate do you want to come downstairs, your parents rang they are mid flight and will be here soon, do you want to talk to them”
Kate turned over and looked at Lance and mumbled “Ok”
Kate got up from the bed and went down stairs and answered the phone, while she was talking to her parents and crying, Lance’s dad Jim struck up a conversation with Gerard “It’s nice to meet you, though under very tragic circumstances”

Gerard replied “I’m very sorry for your loss”
“Thank you”
By now Dianne had joined in the conversation and was less then impressed that Gerard was there as far as she was concerned this was a family matter and he wasn’t family and shouldn’t be there.
“Your name is Gerard right” Dianne said rudely
“Yes it is” Gerard replied back
“I hate to be rude and ask you to leave, but we feel that Kate really needs her family at this time”
“Oh ok...” Gerard started to think who does she think she is, this is the woman I love, why would I want to leave her.
Keisha could see the tension and offered to take Gerard back to the hotel.

As they left, Gerard said “Please call me if anything changes and tell Kate that I will see her later”

Keisha and Gerard both left while Kate was still on the phone

As they drove back to where Gerard was staying they started talking “Gee I’m so sorry that Dianne was rude to you, she can become very protective of Kate and when she doesn’t know you and what there going through at the moment, I guess coz she didnt know you, you were the one she could take her pain out on”
“Its ok, I just wanna be with Kate”
“I know and I promise I will call you if anything changes, I’ll be happy to pick you up tomorrow so you can see her”
“Ok, its just so hard I can see she is in pain right now and I just wanna be there for her”
“I know me too”

Keisha dropped Gerard off and drove back to Kate’s house.

Once Gerard reached his room, all the guys were there waiting for him as he had texted Mikey and told him what had happened.
Bob spoke first “I cant believe that bitch was so rude to you man”
“It’s ok dude, she just lost her grandson”
“But man Kate’s your girlfriend you should be there with her”
“Can we please drop it...”
“Yeah sure, sorry man”

Mikey walked up to his brother and gave him a hug “Did you tell her we are here for her”
“Yeah I did”
“How is she doing”
“Not good, I just want to be with her”
“I know bro”
“Keisha said she would call me later and pick me up tomorrow to take me back”
“Cool”

A few hours had passed and by now Gerard was still sitting in his room with the rest of the guys trying to comprehend what had happened today, when his mobile rang

“Hello”
“Gerard is that you”
“Yes it is, who’s this”
“Its Keisha, can I come and get you, she needs you”
“Sure”
“Good, I’m outside your hotel”
“I’m coming now”

Gerard left with Mikey in tow.

“Oh hi Mikey” Keisha replied startled
“I hope you don’t mind me coming” Mikey replied
“No its fine”
“What’s happening with her” Gerard said
“She’s been screaming and yelling and just crying and she wants you, she has also blasted Dianne for making you leave, its fucked up there”
“Shit” was all Gerard could reply

They had finally reach Kate’s house again.