Someday I will Understand

Chapter 31 Don't give up

Dialing the number a soft voice answered.

“Hello”
“Ah yes hello is this Gerard”
“No, it’s not it’s his brother, can I ask who is calling”
“My name is Doctor Richard Phelps I am calling in regards to a personal matter. May I speak to him please?”
“Sure I’ll just get him”
In the background the doctor could hear the fumbling of a phone and Gerard saying I don’t wanna talk to anyone
“Hello this is Gerard, I’m sorry but I don’t know who you are”
“The reason I am calling is I don’t know how to say this so I will just come out with it, we have a Kate Bass here, currently she is in surgery, she was hit by a speeding card”
“Are you fucking kidding me?”
“I kid you not sir”
“Where is she, or where are you?”
“Kate is at the Grady Memorial Hospital, if you come to the emergency room and ask for me, I will meet you there”
“Ok, I’ll be there as quick as possible”
The call ended

“What the fuck is going on Gee” Mikey asked with a questioning look on his face
“Its Kate, she’s in surgery, she was hit by a car, I have to get to the hospital, how the fuck am I going to get there?”
Ray Spoke “Why don’t we just take the bus”

Everyone left walking straight pass the fans and onto the bus and headed to the hospital, when they finally arrived Gerard ran to the emergency room he went to a counter where a nurse was sitting “Can you please help me, I need to see a Dr. Richard Phelps?”
“I’m sorry sir you will have to wait in the waiting area, he is currently seeing patients”
Gerard was now getting frustrated “Look he rang me about 15 minutes ago, My name is Gerard Way my girlfriend Kate Bass is here she was hit by a car and he asked me once I got here to ask for him, so rather then tell me to sit down again, can you please just get him”
The nurse used her phone and paged for Dr Phelps to come to reception
“He wont be a moment Mr Way”
Gerard stood there to him which felt like an eternity, “Hello Mr Way, I am Dr. Phelps” the doctor said putting his hand out to shake Gerard’s hand. “If you will just follow me I will explain what is going on”

Gerard followed the doctor down a narrow passage to where there was a private waiting room.
“Please take a seat” the doctor said pointing to a chair
Gerard sat down unable to say anything, only wanting to listen to what the doctor had to say
“Ok, well this evening Miss Bass was bought in to the emergency department as she was hit by a car, what we found was that she has internal bleeding , her liver as been lacerated and her spleen has ruptured, unfortunately she also has swelling around the brain and her heart is also under a lot of stress, currently Kate is still in surgery as they are trying to correct the damage that has been caused. I am going to be honest with you Mr Way, Kate has already been into cardiac arrest which may have been caused by the surgery, there is only a small chance she will make it and if she does she will be on life support as she is unable to breathe by herself as her left lung has also collapsed. These first 24 hrs are going to be trying if the surgery is successful”

Gerard just nodded unable to still say anything “What I will do now is ring the surgery department and see how the surgery is going”

Once getting off the phone the doctor spoke again “Ok well I have some good news the surgery was a success”
“That’s great” Gerard whispered
“I will take you to see her, but I will warn you, you wont like what you see, Kate is currently in an induced coma to help her heal, she is also connected to life support so there will be Mr Way a lot of tubes coming out of her, As I said
earlier Kate is in a critical condition but she has been stabilised, these next 24 hrs is where Kate will need to work in order for her body to start to heal, So if you will just follow me”

Gerard followed the doctor out of the room where he saw his brother standing “Excuse me Dr. Phelps, this is my brother can he come with us”

“That will be fine, but he wont be able to go in as this is only for family”
Gerard and Mikey followed the doctor in to the lift and up to the 7th floor where the intensive care unit was.

Gerard motioned for his brother to wait outside, The doctor took Gerard to where Kate was as he stared through the glass he could see that her body was laying motionless with just the help of the respirator to help her breathe there were tubes everywhere, Kate had bruises over her face and cuts which had been cleaned.

Gerard just wanted to crumble but he knew he had to be strong, Kate’s doctor will be over later to talk to you Mr Way, is there any family you would like us to contact?”
“No, I’ll do it, its best if I talk to them”
“Ok then, once again I am very sorry”
“Thank you”

Gerard walked out to where Mikey was and broke down into tears, he had only ever felt this pain once when he lost his beloved grandmother and to feel it again was terrifying “Mikey I don’t know what to do, I thought I had lost her and now I really could loose her”

“I know bro but she will get better she is a fighter, whether she likes to admit it or not”
“I need to call her family and I don’t know how to tell them”
“Don’t worry, Brian is already on to it, everything will be fine, Keisha has already been contacted and will be here in the next hour, she was in New York so she is getting a flight here”
“What did the doctor say?”
Gerard explained everything the doctor has told him to Mikey

“I think I need a cigarette but I just cant leave her”
“Gee I know it’s hard now, but she will get better I can just tell, come back to where the bus is and you can speak to her family if you want” Mikey said trying to be reassuring

Mikey went to the nurses desk and told then what they were doing and would be back shortly.

Back on the bus everyone was in shock on what Gerard had told them, he was also able to speak to her parents who both broke down on the phone and spoke to Kate’s sister instead. She thanked him for calling and advised that they would be there as soon as possible as they once again needed to catch a flight to America. Gerard also called Kate’s soon to be Ex-husband Lance and once again explained the situation, he greatly appreciated the phone call and also said that he would be there as soon as possible.

Gerard was exhausted, all he wanted to do was close his eyes and wake up from this horrible dream but he knew for a fact that it wasn’t a dream it was real life.
The guys decided that they would find a hotel and come back to the hospital, Frank had decided to wait with Gerard and go and see Kate.

Frank had been quiet the whole time and had barely spoken to anyone once he had found out what had happened to Kate.

Gerard looked towards him “Frankie are you alright”
“Yeh man I’m fine just a little shook up from what has happened that’s all”
“Same man, I just don’t want to loose her, I cant I really need her she complete’s me”

“She’s a fighter Gee, she has that instinct to survive”

Only time would tell if Kate would make it through the next 24hrs and Gerard was definitely praying that she would, he realised he loved her more then ever, and the last thing he wanted to do was to loose her.