Someday I will Understand

Chapter 32 Bring me to life

As Kate laid there motionless in the hospital bed, Gerard was holding her hand and whispering to her “I’m sorry your in so much pain but I need you Katie, I love you so much, please come back to me”

Frank hadn’t moved from where he was standing just looking through the glass looking at Kate wanting to be the one next to her holding her hand.
Keisha had arrived and when she got to where Kate was she was frantic, seeing Gerard she hugged him and started to cry.
“What happened, how did this happen” Keisha asked
Gerard with tears in his eyes couldn’t talk , Frank walked in seeing the pain this was causing his friend
“Gee why don’t you go and get a coffee and I’ll talk to Keisha”
Gerard nodded and left the room.
“So Frank what happened” Keisha asked again
“Kate was hit by a car, from what we have been told she had internal bleeding, her spleen had ruptured and a lacerated liver along with swelling on the brain and a collapsed lung, They said the next 24hrs is the most critical”
“Oh my god”
“But there’s more... tonight she left a note for Gerard telling him she would be ending her life”
Keisha stood there in astonishment trying not to believe what she had just heard but she also knew that it was true “We can not tell her parents, it will break there hearts and I cant allow that”
“I understand I’ll be sure to tell the guys as well and Gerard”
“Frank, she will get through this, she’s a stubborn one but definitely a fighter”
“But what happens if she isn’t, what happens if she has no will power”
“I don’t know” was all Keisha could mutter

Lance had also arrived and was out in the hallway talking to Gerard, Gerard was explaining what had happened once again
Everyone had now convened outside Kate’s room and were talking quietly when they heard a beeping sound coming from her room and nurses running with medical equipment,
Gerard ran into Kate’s room where he could see that she was flat lining - getting freaked out he started to yell trying to get to her, one of the male nurses grabbed him to hold him back
“What’s happening, why is there beeping you have to help her”
“Sir we will but please we need you to leave”the nurse said slowly pushing him out of the room.

Gerard just stood there and watched as they placed the paddles on her body and once again sent electricity through her body but there was nothing still a flat line this time a female doctor spoke “charge it 220cc’s” once again the paddles were placed on Kate’s body and electricity sent through her body, this time they got a heartbeat and a pulse.

The nurses closed the curtains so Gerard could no longer see what was going on - Gerard walked to where everyone else was and didnt say a word, he had never seen that before and it sent chills through his body.

The doctor’s were once again able to stabilise Kate but allowed no visitor’s incase anything else was to happen.
Gerard was going out of his mind, there was nothing he could do but was wait and the last thing he wanted to do was get rest, the woman he loved with all his heart was hurt and there was nothing he could do to prevent it.

Keisha walked over to Gerard and spoke “We are going to go and get some rest, Lance has offered to stay here and will call us if anything changes”
“I’m not leaving her , I cant”
“There’s nothing we can do for her and you need rest, you need to be strong for her and if you have no rest how are you to do that”
“I guess your right”
“Good, I’ll stay with you and keep you company, I’ll see if I can tell you some stories about Kate you may not know.
Gerard looked towards Lance “Lance if anything changes, be sure to call me straight away”
Lance nodded in agreement with him.

Everyone headed back on to the bus and headed to the hotel where they would be staying, Gerard would be rooming with Mikey and now Keisha as she had come back, but everyone decided that for now they would all head back to Gerard’s room and just hang out, trying to get over the shock of the events that had just occurred
“Keisha can you tell me what she was like before I met her”

“Sure Gee, she was a normal person um back in high school she wasn’t little miss popular as you would think, no she was an outsider not that she minded, she was here for a 2 year exchange program, she was living with a wealthy family in Tampa who absolutely adored her, That’s where I met her at Berkeley Preparatory School, we instantly hit it off, I guess being that I was a black girl with glasses everyone assumed I was a nerd because I had come from the south in Alabama, but Kate didnt care she befriended me and we have been best friends but now she pays me” Keisha said with a laugh

“But didnt Kate move to LA?”

“Yeh she did to Pacific Palisades and I was crushed when she told me she was moving, but then a few months later my dad got a transfer to Pacific as well and we both ended up going to the same school again and yet again we were inseparable.
She wasn’t a straight A student but she kept her grades up and once she got in to drama she knew she had found her niche”

Mikey spoke “Did she have any boyfriends?”

“In Tampa there want any, she was just this Aussie chick and the guys didnt know what to make of her, I guess cause she was outspoken and she would always put them in there place, In pacific, the boys were like in love with her, she had one boyfriend um I think his name was um.... that’s it Ryan he was a nice guy he was a jock but she broke up with him. And then she met Lance and that was it - she was hooked to him like a drug, there wedding was so beautiful, and I remember when she told me she was pregnant I literally fell off my chair, she just casually said oh by the way I’m having a baby.
I know at first she was shocked but her being pregnant really just suited her but her cravings now that was funny she would eat ice-cream with pickles together and also crackers with Ketchup, and shit the amount of soft drink she drank it was like Hayden was gonna be a little hyper kid always filled on sugar.”

Gerard continued to listen to what Keisha had to say and asked many more questions, Keisha started to speak about him

“I swear Gerard the first day she met you, you had taken her breathe away, I remember she couldn’t stop talking about you it was like she was in high school again. She loves you so much and I know she has been hurting but please don’t blame yourself, with Kate if she cant cope she tends to push the people she loves the most out of her life so as she see’s it not to hurt anyone, so promise me just stand by her and you will have her back”

Gerard smiled and with that he closed his eyes and fell asleep like everyone else.

Waking up the next morning, he still hadn’t received a phone call so he assumed Kate was ok, Kate’s parents would be arriving in the next few hours.

Going back to the hospital Gerard was told that since Kate went in to cardiac arrest nothing had changed, she had passed but was still in a critical condition as she still wasn’t breathing on her own, the doctor advise that the next 48hrs would be trying as they would try taking the respirator out to see if Kate could breathe on her own.

All Gerard could think of was Kate and wanting to hold her in his arms again, to be able to smell her and touch her, he knew that he would have to wait and prayed that she would get better as time went by.

Keisha had gone into overdrive as the press had found out about Kate’s accident and were spreading rumours like wild fire, Keisha released a statement explaining the situation and also expressing privacy during this trying time.