Someday I will Understand

Chapter 33 When hope fades

72hrs had passed and there was still no change in Kate’s condition, her parents had also arrived along with her sister.
The doctor explained about turning the ventilator off to see if Kate would be able to breathe on her own, if she was able to breathe on her own they would then pull her out of the induced coma and let her wake up on her own.
The doctor also explained that there was still swelling around the brain and that they wouldn’t know the extent of Kate’s head trauma until she woke up and that’s even if she did.

It had been scheduled for the ventilator to be turned off within the next hour, Gerard felt helpless at not being able to help and being that Kate was still legally married to Lance, he was her legal guardian so any decisions that were made were made by Lance and Kate’s family, Gerard felt as though he was being pushed to the side.

The doctor’s were now only talking to Lance and Kate’s family in regards to her condition, and Gerard wasn’t liking it one bit he was Kate’s partner and wanted to be involved as well. Kate’s sister Emma could see what Gerard was going through so she spoke to the nurses and her family and explained that Gerard was Kate’s partner and he had a right to know what was going on and give any input to any decisions that were going to be made.
Gerard appreciated what Emma had said.

“Hi Gerard, can I speak with you privately?”
“Sure Emma”
Gerard and Emma walked out of Kate’s room and out in to the foyer.
“Were you and Kate having issues in your relationship?”
“Ahh... no everything was fine, Why do you ask?”
“Well to be frank with you, When Kate rang me she was saying she was having doubts about your relationship”
“Kate wouldn’t be like that, she would tell me if were having any problems”
“I’m not trying to be nasty, please don’t think that, I like you and I think you are trying to make my sister happy but I know about the note I haven’t seen it and I don’t want to but at the same time I can see my sister doing what she has done intentionally, trust me I love her but you don’t know my sister like I do”
“What are you trying to say to me”
“You need to be careful, Kate has gone through so much already and I don’t know if she wakes up if she is going to want to see you”
“Why are you saying this for” Gerard said who was now getting angry
“I’m just trying to be honest with you, the reason I was coming to see her in Charlotte was cause she was hurting and she didnt know what to do
“What the FUCK!...she was fine, I was starting to see the Kate I know”
“I’m sorry to say she would have been acting, that’s Kate she cant let anyone in, even when she was married she wouldn’t let Lance in, she thinks it’s for the best and that’s how she has always been, I know you love her I can see it in your eyes, but you also need to see the truth as well “

Keisha could see the commotion that was going on and walked over, Emma and Keisha never saw eye to eye and would always give each other snide remarks
“What’s going on?”
Emma spoke “I was just telling Gerard the truth on what Kate is like, its really none of your business Keisha”
“Emma stop spinning your shit, Kate loves Gee, For once cant you just leave your sister alone, stop trying to be jealous of her cause she has the life that you crave, you already live off her money, cant you let her have a little bit of happiness”
“Fuck you Keisha thinkin your miss know it all, I know what Kate told me, I was just trying to warn Gerard but if you don’t want to listen to what I have to say, then forget it and if Kate wanted happiness would she really be in the predicament she is in now”

Frank had heard everything but had kept quiet, he so wanted to be by Kate’s side but at the same time knew that the little tryst that him and Kate had was over he wasn’t ever going to hurt his friend again nor the woman he gave his heart to.

It was time for the ventilator to be turned off, everyone was anxious hoping that Kate would be breathing on her own.
The doctor ordered for the nurse to turn the machine off, there was a beeping sound and everyone went quiet, everyone was hoping that Kate would be breathing on her own waiting what seemed like an eternity, there was no change - Kate wasn’t breathing by herself. The life support was turned back on, Gerard’s heart started to break he wanted so much for Kate to be able to breathe on her own.

Knowing there was no change he started to think that maybe Kate was giving up, he didnt want that he wanted her to be strong and come back to him, he loved her more then anything and he didnt want to loose someone he cared for greatly.

The nurses advised that visiting hours were over, Gerard just wanted to stay there he didnt want to leave her side though he saw reason when it was explained he needed rest in order to be strong for Kate and that he could come back in the morning, reluctantly leaving he went back to the hotel with Keisha and Frank, the other guys were in damage control doing interviews why shows were being cancelled, the band as a whole felt that their fans had a right to know and were sure that they would be understanding.

Hours passed and there was still no change in Kate’s condition, she laid there with no movement.

Gerard was back at the hotel trying to relax back in his room but all he could do was pace back and fourth thinking of what Emma had told him earlier in the day that Kate would just push him away and that she wouldn’t want to see him if she woke up, he was mulling it over trying to think it wasn’t true.

Keisha watched him walking up and down his room unable to stand still for a minute, she got up from where she was seated and walked over to him to try and block him from destroying himself
“Gee please relax, take a seat”
“How can I do that huh, she’s laying there and what happens if she wakes up and I’m not there”
“Its ok” “Keisha said grabbing his arm and pulling him on to the bed, with her hand she grabbed Gerard’s face and made him look at her “Stop stressing, I know your hurting but don’t listen to what Emma has to say”
“I’m not, I’m thinking of Kate”
“Gee you’re a bad liar” Keisha said putting her hand on Gerard’s leg, oh how he wanted that touch to be Kate’s

He looked up again and saw her sitting where Keisha was “Katie” “Shh don’t worry”
It had to be her, she was there sitting besides him “Katie your ok, you’ve come back to me”
Keisha had no idea what Gerard was on about, but decided to play along hoping he would be able to get some rest
“Gee it’s ok I’ll never leave you I promise”
“I love you so much” Gerard said as he moved closer to what he thought was Kate, placed his hand on her shoulder pulled her closer and started to kiss her passionately.
Keisha on the other hand didnt know what to think and was so caught up in the moment, it slipped by what she was actually doing.
Gerard undressed her, looking at her body thinking how much he wanted it right now, placing her body under the blankets he knew he wanted to make love to her, letting her know how much he cared and loved her.
Kissing her naked body he wanted to please her, she pulled him up to where she could face him and started to kiss his soft lips “Katie I love you so much”
Keisha didnt know what to say, she couldn’t believe what she was doing but at the same time she didnt want to stop and she wasn’t going to.

Softly he spread her legs apart and penetrated her, holding her in his arms he thrusted in to her until he could no longer hold it and released him self with in her, he continued to kiss her lips until the both fell asleep together.

Back at the hospital she awoke with an almighty fright, not knowing where she was all she could feel was that something was in her throat and she couldn’t remove it and the pain her body ached all over.