Someday I will Understand

Chapter 82 how do i fall

Once Kate and Gerard were both in the maternity ward, Kate was taken to her room which had been waiting for her since she booked it a few months ago, once dressed in to a night gown Kate lay on the bed where the doctor examined her to see how far dilated she was. “Ok Kate at this stage your only 5cm’s dilated, we need you to be 10cm”

Kate just nodded, right now the contractions were becoming unbearable and she wasnt sure if she would be able to cope she wanted to be strong but it was just hurting too much
“Gerard I don’t think I can do this, it hurts so much” Kate said as she winced in pain after having another contraction
“Baby you will be fine and I’ll be here I promise” Gerard said with a smile
“I know and I’m trying but fuck babe these contractions its like they are lasting for ever”

Everyone had arrived at the hospital and were out in the waiting room, Mikey decided to go into Kate’s room to see how she was doing while everyone waited, Donna and Don hadn’t arrived yet as they both knew it would be awhile before Kate was ready to give birth.

Waking into the room Mikey saw Kate sitting on the hospital bed “Hey Katie everyone is here, they are out in the waiting room”
“Aww thanks Mikes, let them know I said thanks, are your parents here..do they even know?”
“Yeh they know but mum said you would be in labour for a while and that they would come around later”
“Oh shit Gerard I need you to call my family please and let them know and my sister I haven’t told them, they need to know” Kate said all panicky
“It’s ok Kate...I will go and do that now...I’m sure the rest of the guys will keep you company while I’m gone”
“Thanks Baby”
Gerard walked over and kissed Kate on the forehead, right now he was so proud of her the pain she was going through and wanting to go through with a natural birth to him it was amazing.

Walking out of the room, Gerard went to a pay phone and called Australia to let Kate’s parents know that she was in labour he was surprised when he spoke to them as both were very grateful that he had rung to let them know, they advised that they would let Kate’s sister know as well.

Gerard walked back down the hospital foyer and back in to the room Kate was in where he could hear a beating sound as he walked in it was very loud and he couldn’t figure where it was coming from, at that time Kate was also having another ultrasound done.

“Baby is everything ok?”
“Yeh its fine...the nurse just needs to check on the baby” Kate replied
“What’s that irritating sound?”
The female nurse replied “That Mr Way is the babies heartbeat”
Gerard looked at her astonished, he was now fascinated by the sound and couldn’t believe that was his child’s heart beating.

A few hours had passed and Kate’s contractions had increased to a contraction every few minutes it was nearly time and she could feel it, she was bearing the pain with all her might but she wasnt sure how much longer she would be able to.

The midwife had returned so see how far along Kate was - checking her she measured her to be at least 9cms dilated
“Just one more centimetre Kate that’s all and then you can be on your way”
The pain was causing Kate to be snappy “One more centimetre, take it out now” Kate snapped

Alicia had started to laugh as she knew Kate was getting pissed she had been labour for over 9 hr’s and was getting tired “What are you laughing at Ali it aint funny...you try this” She said and then looking at Gerard “This is all your fault...it it wasnt for you I wouldn’t be in this mess”
Alicia cracked up laughing she couldn’t help herself where as Gerard looked shocked he wasnt use to this and didnt know how to sooth the problem

“Baby your doing great, it wont be much longer” Gerard replied
Kate looked towards him “I want drugs, I need the drugs”
The nurse spoke “I’m sorry Kate but your too far dilated to have an epidural, I can give you the gas or pethadine but that’s it”
“I want the gas I need the gas...please give me the gas” Kate yelled
Kate was given her gas and it did subside the pain but not very much,

Finally the time had arrived Kate had reached 10cm’s in dilation and it was time for her to give birth, the contractions were every 20 seconds or so, she was wheeled in to the theatre with Gerard right beside her, holding his hand.

“It’s time Baby”
“I know” she replied with a smile on her face