Meet My Cousin

Chapter 5

Mike's P.O.V.

None of us knew why Trish up and left like she did. We figured that she had gotten really scared. She didn't want to cheat on John. I assumed that she felt like she was. None of ever thought to ask her. It wasn't any of our business really. If she wanted us to know, she would tell us, right? She didn't come around as much since the night Billie Joe tried to teach her how to kiss either. He seemed like he was a little worried about her. This was odd for Billie Joe. He didn't usually get like this about girls. He hadn't been the same since his mom had remarried.

It was mid-October by the time Trish started coming back around. We hadn't seen her very much. John was a bit controlling. Billie still got pissed anytime John's name was mentioned. Trish was supposed to come to Tre's one weekend to hang out with us. She didn't show, so we called her house to see when she was coming. Her mom said that she went to John's. Billie Joe decided that we should go pay them a visit. Tre' and I hopped into the backseat of Billie's Fairlane. We got to John's apartment about 20 minutes later. I knocked on the door, but no one answered. We knew that John was home because his car was in the driveway. A few minutes later we heard a scream coming from the back of the apartment. We looked at each other then all started beating on the door. The screams got louder and more frequent. Billie started slamming himself into the door in attempt to get it open. Finally, the door cracked, and flew open. Billie Joe ran into the house first. Tre' and I followed him quickly. We all bounded up the stairs. John's door was locked. Billie Joe screamed 'Fuck.' and ran into the door. It flew open, and Billie stopped suddenly. He turned extremely pale. John had Trish pinned to the bed. She was crying uncontrollably. He was raping her. You could see the bruises all over her midriff. He had done this before. Billie Joe finally snapped out of his state of shock, and leaped on top of John. This sent him flying off of his single bed. Trish curled up into fetal position. Tre' ran over to her, and yelled for me to help Billie. John had begun to kick Billie Joe's ass. I jumped on John and began pounding my fists into that son of a bitch's nose. Billie got up, wiped the blood from his face and grabbed Trish's clothes off of the floor. He tried to help Tre' calm her down. Both of them knew I had John under control.

By the time Trish was calm, I had knocked John out. All of us were extremely pissed. Tre' wanted to kill him for hurting his cousin. I called the police and told them what had happened. They arrived shortly, and drove John to the station. We helped Trish into the car, and then followed them. When we arrived to the station, a doctor asked Trish if she was willing to let them give a rape kit. She was so they brought her into the back. The policeman questioned us. We answered all of the questions truthfully. A few minutes later, Trish came out and sat down. She answered their questions in private. There was no doubt in the officers' mind that John did this. They knew he had. He had a record that none of us knew about.

Billie brought Tre' to my house. Trish said that she wanted to be alone. Billie was supposed to bring her home. Instead of bringing her home he brought her to his house. He led her inside, and sat her on the couch. He fixed her some coffee and sat down to talk to her.

"Why didn't you tell someone? Why didn't you tell me?!" He said with a huge lump in his throat.

"I couldn't." Trish said through tears and sobs.

"Why not? You knew we were he-" Billie Joe said before being cut off.

"I just couldn't!" She screamed.

Trish began sobbing hysterically. Billie grabbed her; he pulled to him. He rocked her back and forth gently until she had cried herself to sleep. He fell asleep soon after. His mom walked in and saw them sleeping. She knew something was wrong, so she didn't disturb them. She covered them both up with the green throw on the couch. Mrs. Armstrong then turned out the light and went upstairs to go to sleep.