Billie the Vampire

Bad Things Happen in Threes

‘Now this is just getting old,’ Billie Joe thought to himself as he woke up. ‘Would it be too much to ask for to actually fall asleep instead of passing out all the time?’ Opening his eyes cautiously, he saw he was in a pleasantly dark and very black room that he didn’t recognize at all. ‘It’d be nice to know where I am when I wake up, at least.’

Then he spotted Nathaniel, his pale complexion making him stick out from the room like some ghostly apparition. Billie tried to sit up, but his arm and wrists were too sore, so he just gave up. Nathaniel must’ve noticed his movement because he looked up from whatever he was reading. Making no sound as he got up he walked over to where Billie Joe lay.

“Your wrists are going to be sore for a while. She used silver-coated rope,” Nathaniel explained.

“Wait, how do you know it was a ‘she?’” Billie asked.

“There’s only one vampire slayer in this area: Selena.”

“Oh…” There was an awkward silence before another question formed. “Where are your parents?”

“Dead,” Nathaniel answered, an angry tinge to his voice.

“I’m sorry if I brought up a bad subject,” Billie Joe started.

“It’s okay, I’m over it for the most part,” Nathaniel reassured him. “They died eight years ago. I’ve been living on my own ever since.”

The rock star looked at him incredulously. He only looked to be seventeen, eighteen at most. “All by yourself in your own house?”

“I’m twenty-five. I was bit eight years ago when I was seventeen,” Nathaniel told him in a way that suggested that he constantly had to tell people his real age.

Billie Joe blushed. He had forgotten that Nathaniel was also a vampire for a moment.

“You’re lucky that I’ve been one for so long and am experienced with dealing with scenes,” the twenty-five year old continued. “I had to ‘talk’ to everyone in the store in order keep them from calling the police. Thankfully hypnotism is one of a vampire’s powers. Also, thankfully for you quick healing is too. Right now your arm will still hurt a little, but by tomorrow it should be nothing but a scar which should fade until there’s no sign left by the end of the week.” He paused before saying, “Even with all the benefits you get from being a vampire, it’s still horrible to be one. I’m sorry I bit and turned you. I wasn’t expecting you to be alone, and I hadn’t had blood for awhile…I just couldn’t control myself, the first time in years.”

“Don’t worry, I know how hard it is,” Billie said, thinking of who had already attacked so far. “I’ve already bitten two people…”

“Well you’re new, and when you first start out, it’s hard to control yourself, and you don’t really know much about your own self. The first urge is virtually impossible to resist. You can even attack someone you love…” Nathaniel trailed off.

“Who was the first person you bit?” Billie asked nervously, hoping he delving too far into his personal life.

“When I first woke up, I was at home, in my bed. This guy I had become friends with had bitten me and put me there, making sure my parents didn’t find me too soon so he wouldn’t get in trouble. The first person I saw was my mom.”

Billie’s eyes widened as he imagined what happened next. “Was that how…”

“How she died? No, my dad wasn’t too far behind and stopped me before anything too bad could happen. I hadn’t drunk enough to kill or even turn her yet. She just ended up fainting. I…was mad at first, but then I came to my senses. I ran out of the house, scared of what my dad might do. I came back the next morning, though, and at first, things were strained, but then we had a talk and I apologized to my mom. They understood that I wasn’t just a monster, and that I would try my best to control myself. I’m glad things returned back to normal not long after that, but unfortunately, that didn’t last long.”

“What happened?”

“You know the saying ‘bad things happen in threes?’ Well, for vampires, that seems to be true. When you get bit, that’s one of the ordinary bad things that happens to you, and two more happen not long after.”

Billie thought of the gunman that had been in the restaurant and the punks that had beat him up. They were definitely bad, out of the ordinary things.

“A little over a week later, things were back to normal again. I kept myself from biting anyone for my parents’ sakes, and they didn’t treat me like a monster. But then one night, when we were all sound asleep in our beds, my parents were shot. I woke up when the hit man opened my door and had the worst blood craving since my first night when I had bitten my mom. If I hadn’t seen the gun, I could’ve just controlled it, but I did see it and I lost control of myself. Right as he was about to shoot, I sprung out of my bed and pinned him against a wall. I bit him and drank without hesitation. Draining him completely of all blood felt better than anything I’ve ever felt. I knew he was scared of me. I was scared of me. I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to control myself anymore after finally having a generous amount of blood. I went to my parent’s room when I finished and was shocked back to my senses when I saw what had happened…”

Billie Joe shuddered as he imagined what it would feel like to see your parents both dead, shot by some guy while you were asleep. The same guy who had then tried to kill you, but instead, you killed him.

“I didn’t cry. I couldn’t. Instead, I just felt empty. I forced myself to remain calm as I returned to where the hit man’s body was. I picked it up easily and put it in the trunk of my car before driving off to the man who had hired him’s house. I left the body there along with a note.” Nathaniel started to tremble a little as he continued, undisguised hate in his voice. “I told my uncle that if he ever tried to come after me, I would bite him too.” He shook his head. “I probably shouldn’t have said that, because then he knew what I was for sure. Now I can’t report him to the police or else he could just tell them what I was. I didn’t want to become some freak to be studied, or be closely watched. If they kept me from getting blood, it would be disastrous. But some day, I will have my revenge. I want to be the one to kill him.”