Billie the Vampire

The Third Bad Thing

Billie suddenly felt as though he had treaded somewhere he really didn’t want to be. Wanting to change the subject quickly, he asked, “What about the second bad thing that happened to you?” He hoped it wasn’t another thing that would make Nathaniel seem like another person so much.

There was an uncomfortable silence as slowly Nathaniel’s eyes lost most of their intensity. They closed for a second before he opened them again, a faraway look in his eyes. “I was just walking around at night like you were last night. It was a few weeks after the second bad thing. Out of nowhere, a vampire that had grown psychotic over the years attacked me. He knocked me out, and when I woke up, I was bound with silver chains to a table. There was a knife was in each of my arms.”

Billie’s eyes widened, hardly believing what he was hearing.

“The pain was worse than anything I had ever experienced,” he went on, his voice starting to become more emotional. “For four days, I ate and drank nothing. Everyday he added a knife. He claimed he wanted to test a vampire’s pain threshold, see how much exactly it took to kill one. When I had six knives in me, two in my arms, two in my legs, and two in my chest, he finally stopped for a few days. Then he took them out. I was relieved. At least until he replaced all six a few hours later with silver knives. The pain started to drive me insane.” Nathaniel’s eyes grew wild for a moment as he recounted his twisted tale.

“The next day when he came by to see if I was still alive and how I was coping, I snapped. I broke through the silver chains and pulled the knives out of me, throwing them at him until I got down to the last one. Then I threw it at his heart and killed him.” His eyes had an inhuman look to them that frightened Billie Joe even more. He felt like he had asked about a topic that had brought the other side of Nathaniel out. He gulped as he thought of how he too must have another side.

Nathaniel’s three bad things seemed way worse than his own, and Billie Joe felt sorry for him along with his fear of him. He didn’t know how a seventeen year old could’ve coped with all of that. But then again, the person sitting there wasn’t really Nathaniel. Billie knew that much. In a desperate attempt to get the normal Nathaniel back, he asked, “Is it alright if I use your phone to call my wife?”

For a second he didn’t respond and there was no change in his expression, causing Billie Joe to worry even more. But then he blinked slowly a few times before saying, “Sure no problem.” His voice was back to normal along with his eyes. Billie almost sighed with relief. Instead, he held it in as Nathaniel got up and handed him a phone.

He dialed his home phone number. It took a few rings before someone picked up.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Adie, it’s me, Billie.”

“Where are you? I was so worried about you! What happened? How come you just now called? Why didn’t you take your cell phone with you?” She probably had a few more questions and wanted to say a few more things, but she stopped there, wanting answers to those questions right now.

Billie Joe smiled to himself before telling her what had happened.

“I’m so glad you’re alright,” Adie said softly. “But maybe you shouldn’t walk around any more by yourself at night. And if you do continue, you should at least bring your cell phone.”

“Okay, okay. I’ll be home soon,” Billie Joe promised.

“Okay, the boys are getting anxious about you. I had to come up with a story so they wouldn’t find out about what happened to you.”

Billie felt slightly guilty about his sons not knowing what he was. But he didn’t want them to get scared or anything. “Bye,” he said, almost sighing.

“Bye.”

He hung up and handed the phone back to Nathaniel who had suddenly appeared again after disappearing sometime during the conversation without Billie Joe noticing. There was silence after the phone was hung back up again. Wanting to break it, Billie Joe decided to ask something that he wanted to know that wasn’t really that important. It was more just out of curiosity than anything else that he wanted to ask it.

“Why is your house so…black?”

Nathaniel grinned at the question. “Blue is a little calming to humans. Black is sorta like that with vampires, though to a greater extent. It also makes you feel comfortable, and it’s easier to control yourself if there’s a lot of black around.”

“Oh, well that seems like it could be helpful,” Billie Joe remarked, making a mental note of it.