Billie the Vampire

Vampires Don't Exist...Or Do They?

When he woke up, Billie found himself in a bed...in the hospital. He strained to remember what had happened that had caused him to end up here. He squinted in the light that flooded into the room through the window; it was nighttime and the moonlight shone brightly. It irritated him more than usual, but he pushed the thought aside. 'What the fuck happened?'

He reached his hand up to his neck and rubbed it subconsciously since it was itching. He froze. He ran his hand over the spot again before letting his hand drop like it was dead weight back down to his side. There were two small bumps there.

Memories filled his mind of the night of the concert.

'Nathaniel...' he thought, '...or is that just a dream? He couldn't...I couldn't...no, there's no such thing as vampires.' He touched the indents again. 'Or is there?'

His thoughts were interrupted by a nurse entering the room. She turned on the light and smiled. He grimaced. The light made his eyes water. She didn't seem to notice and said, "I see that you're awake now. You have some visitors; I'll go get them."

She turned to leave. Billie sank back tiredly when he got up on a sudden impulse. He didn't know what he was doing. In just a few silent and swift steps, he reached her. He grabbed her and spun her around, putting his hand over her mouth before she could scream.

Still not knowing what he was doing, he moved her hair aside before lowering his head towards her neck and felt his canines growing longer and sharper. He bit the skin and immediately blood filled his mouth. He drank it, it refreshing him and making him feel stronger than he had ever felt.

He felt her go limp and saw her eyes close. She was growing paler and paler. Soon she would be dead.

"Billie! We're coming to visit you!" he heard Tré shout from somewhere down the hall.

He paused and felt blood dribble down his chin. His eyes became a white for a brief moment, but then he regained his sense as he heard Mike say, "Tré, shhhh! We're probably not even supposed to visit him!"

Billie licked up the excess blood before looking around frantically for a place to hide the nurse. His eyes locked on the bathroom. He hurriedly stuffed her in there and ran out of the bathroom, shutting the door behind.

Just as Mike and Tré entered the room, Billie got under the covers and tried to act as though nothing had just happened.

"See, I bet you woke Billie up!" Mike told Tré.

"Don't worry, you didn't," Billie reassured him.

'Come on, this has to be a dream, all of it. Since last night,' he thought furiously. He was half-tempted to pinch himself, but it would be weird if it weren't...which would be even weirder.

"What happened?" Billie asked them.

"Well," Mike began, "I was coming back from getting a drink when I saw you on the floor. There was a cut on your neck-"

"Like a vampire bit you!" Tré interrupted him.

"Tré, how many times do I have to tell you? Vampires don't exist," Mike said. "Anyways, there was a cut on your neck, a small but deep one, and a small pool of blood. You had lost a lot, but they didn't know how you lost all of it or where most of the blood is. They had to give you some blood for a few hours. You slept for almost a whole day."

"Do you wanna have a look at yourself? We brought a mirror!" Tré shouted.

"Ok..." Billie said uneasily.

Tré shoved the mirror in his face. What Billie saw, (or actually didn't) freaked him out. He couldn't see his reflection. Nothing. Just the space behind it.

"Whoa dude, you don't look that bad!" Tré exclaimed. "Well, not as bad as you look normally..."

Mike hit him over the head.

"Ow..."

Normally that would cheer Billie up, but this time it didn't. There were too many things on his mind.

'Blood...' he thought suddenly.

Mike stared at Billie and rubbed his eyes. He thought for a moment Billie's eyes had been red...but it must've just been a trick of the light. He looked down at the floor, looking thoughtful. Tré, meanwhile, was fiddling around with the mirror, muttering something about how vampires exist.

'They're easy prey, both looking away. But if I attack one, the other will get me,' Billie thought before shaking his head. 'Wait, these are my friends. I can't suck their blood.'

Suddenly Mike nervously said, "Billie, there's a nurse's body in the bathroom."

Billie hadn't closed the door all the way and now it was open, revealing the nurse's body.