Billie the Vampire

At the Library

Billie woke up to hear Mike knocking on the door and his voice shouting, "Billie!"

Billie got up, yawning and stretching. He was worried. 'What if Mike remembers and thinks it really happened?' He hesitated before opening the door, braced for whatever would happen.

"Did you attack me last night, or was that just a dream?" Mike asked. "I mean, it seemed so real, but, how could it have been? I mean, you were so strong."

"Er, it was just a dream, all of it, yeah," Billie stuttered.

"Well, alright then," Mike sighed. "That dream freaked me out. I guess I shouldn't do whatever I did before going to sleep again. Well, I'm gonna go, so see yah." He turned to leave.

"Wait," Billie stopped him, "I was wondering if you and Tré would go out for dinner with me and Adie tomorrow night after she gets back. I have to tell you guys something..."

"Okay...I guess I'll tell Tré. See you tomorrow then." Mike walked away.

"Bye."

When Mike had left, Billie sighed. Tomorrow night would be when he would tell them. Tomorrow night might also be the last night he saw them...

***

He was in a library, a fucking library. He didn't know why or what he thought he would gain from it. A library. He hadn't been to one in years. So far he had found nothing, not like he really expected to. He let out a sigh of frustration and felt people's stares.

Deciding that he wasn't getting anywhere looking himself, he went up to where you would check out books or whatever you were getting from the library. He decided to try asking a librarian if they had any books about vampires.

"Um, I was sort of wondering if you had any books on vampires..." he said uncertainly.

The librarian was a woman who looked to be in her mid-thirties. She gave him a scrutinizing look before walking back behind a shelf of books. Billie could hear her saying "William, another one's here."

Before Billie could ask what she meant by "another one," the man called William came up to the counter and handed a book to him. Its title, Vampires, stood out in blood red, fancy lettering on the plain black cover. The book was thick and was hardbound.

"Here you are," William said in a British accent. He glanced at Billie's neck, not for the first time.

"Thanks," Billie replied, eyeing William. The man winked at him and Billie thought he saw his eyes flash red. He turned to leave, and as he did, he hear William and the other librarian talking.

"I don't see why you always want to see someone if they ask for a book about vampires, William."

"You wouldn't understand."

"But still, why do you sometimes give them that book of yours, to keep 'til whenever?"

"Again, you wouldn't understand, my dear Michelle."

"I never get you..."

"And you never will."

Billie tripped over a crack in the sidewalk and his head was getting dangerously close to the ground. He thrust his hands out quickly and prevented himself from getting hurt. He wasn't jarred or shaken at all, even though it happened at the last second. He picked himself back up, dusting off imaginary dust. The book had been dropped when he had saved himself. Now he picked it back up. He wouldn't dare leave it alone now for two seconds. Who knew what it would reveal?

***

Blank. It was all blank. All of the pages were fucking blank. Not a word, not a letter, not a mark. Just the blank pages. Billie furrowed his brow, confused. Why had William given him a blank book? Was it some sort of joke to him? Is this how he passed the time, teasing new vampires with false hopes?

Billie was angry. He wanted to hurt someone, bite someone, kill someone, hear their screams of pain and terror; he wanted blood. He felt his fangs lengthening and licked them. When he realized what was happening, he tried to calm down, but he couldn't. It was too late. He wouldn't be normal again until he had blood.

Billie strode through his house, making his way downstairs. He banged the door open and collided with Tré. Tré was knocked down and sat there with a dazed look on his face. He shook his head, trying to get his thoughts straight. Billie felt his fangs retract and started feeling nervous. What if Tré had noticed his fangs and probably red eyes? After all, he was the one who believed in vampires.

"Whoa dude, you scared me for a moment there," Tré finally said. "Didn't know you were going anywhere."

"Er, yeah, why are you here?" Billie managed to get out.

"To return this," Tré replied, handing a remote to Billie.

"Is this my TV remote?" Billie asked.

"Yeah..."

"Why the hell do you have it?"

"I dunno, I can't remember..."

"Whatever," Billie said quickly, remembering that the sun would soon set. Already he couldn't prevent himself from staring longingly at Tré's neck. "I have to go."

"Why?" Tré asked curiously.

"I have to go do something."

"What?"

"Look, I just have to do something important, okay?" Billie snapped.

"But..."

"Just leave me the fuck alone, alright?!" Billie yelled. He instantly clamped his hand over his mouth. He hadn't meant to shout.

Tré looked petrified with terror. Billie's eyes had been red, bright, glowing, burning red. But what had really scared Tré was the rage. He has never seen Billie like that, never.

"Look, Tré, I'm sorry," Billie started, but Tré just backed away. That's when Billie felt his fangs starting to grow of their own will.

'No, not now, not now. Why now?'

"Y-you are a vampire!" Tré gasped, stumbling backwards even more.

'C'mon, c'mon. What can I do? What can I do?' Then another thought crossed him, 'I can embrace the fact that I'm a vampire and just get this all over with, kill Tré and everyone else close to me. That way they won't get the chance to abandon me.'

During Billie's internal struggle, Tré had successfully made it to his car. He was opening the car door Billie noticed. Billie had made his decision. He pounced on Tré, causing to bang his head against the car.

It took all the free will Billie had not to just lick the blood off of Tré's face. He had a gash on his forehead where the impact had been made. Instead, he just wiped it up with his hand before licking it all up.

He hoped that Tré would wake up and excuse it all as some strange dream like Mike had.