The Lost Uchiha

Scroll 10: Darkened Mind

Her heart thundered in her ears. Her onyx eyes flickered with different emotions.

“What are you doing here?”

Itachi gave her a small sad smile. Then he froze again.

“I heard about Orochimaru. Are you alright?”

Hikari sighed. “I’m alright.”

“And Sasuke?” She paused to choose her words carefully. She opened her mouth to speak, but words failed hr.

“He is struggling with… everything.” She glanced at the door then back at him. “I’m worried about him.” Hikari turned her head away.

“Why?”

“What if he goes to Orochimaru?”

“What if he goes, it will be because he is willing. You need to make him stay.” She shook her head.

“I don’t think he will listen to me. You know how he is.”

“Yes, but I also know how you are. You will make him listen.”

She felt his arm wrap protectively around her shoulders.

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

When Hikari reawoke, Itachi was gone. She allowed a few tears to fall, and then made herself get up. She silently pushed open the door, her eyes sweeping the immediate area for signs that Sasuke was awake.

A small, torn piece of paper sat propped against a glass left forgotten on the table.

‘Hikari,

Had to go train with Kakashi. See you soon

Sasuke’

She rolled her eyes. She didn’t feel like training today. Her head snapped toward the window. Naruto smiled in at her.

“Hey Hikari, can I talk to you?” She gestured to the door.

Naruto burst through the door and smiled. “Can you help me train today?”

She thought of Kakashi and her brother. Her mood darkened. There was no way in hell she was training with them today.

“Sure Naruto. Let me grab a few things.”

“Alright.”

She ran back into her room, grabbing her headband from the dresser. A slip of paper was tucked underneath it.

‘Stay safe.’

She tucked it into a drawer and grabbed her katana. She rushed out of the room. “Ready?”

“Yeah.”

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

The shuriken clanged together in mid-air. The three blonde clones ran at Hikari from different directions. Drawing her katana, she prepared for the impact of the bodies closing in. She swung her katana over her head, gently slashing the clones. The smoke puffed around her.

She felt another sneaking up behind her. Her body flipped over Naruto’s head, landing gracefully behind him. She placed the tip of her katana on the small of his back.

“You lose.” She sheathed her katana. Naruto smiled.

“Thanks for helping me Hikari.”

She felt a smile creeping its way across her face. “Sure Naruto. Isn’t that what friends are for?”

“Yeah.” He looked around. “You want some ramen?”

“Sure.”

As they pair walked the streets of Konoha people buzzed with excitement. The festival was almost here. In just a few short days, the final exam of the Chunnin exam was going to commence. A few people gave Naruto words of encouragement along the way.

“Look at mister popular.”

“Only because you are next me.” She glanced at him, noticing the crestfallen expression.

“I’m not in the finals Naruto.” He cheered a little at this.

The ramen stand came into view. Naruto pushed the curtains aside, allowing her to enter before him, and sat at one of the stools.

“Ah, you and your friend again Naruto! Welcome!”

“Hey old man. The usual for us both please.”

“Sure.” He rushed off to start the order.

“Hey Hikari, you know the festival that is coming up?”

She looked around at the decorations in the shop. “Yeah.”

“Do you think Sakura would go with me if I asked her? I mean, she brushes me off for your brother.” Hikari looked at Naruto.

“She might. It’s hard to say.”

“Ah come on Hikari, help me please!” One look at his pleading face pulled her in.

“Alright, I’ll see what I can do. I make no promises though.”

“Yeah I know.”

The ramen was placed in front of them. Naruto broke his chopsticks and dug in. Hikari smiled and began to eat hers.

“Where were you today?” She turned. Kakashi stood behind her.

“I was helping Naruto train.”

“So you missed my training.”

She looked down at the suddenly interesting ground. “I’m sorry.”

She heard Kakashi take a seat next to her. “Hikari, are you alright?”

She felt her self break.

The tears she had been fighting all day streamed down her face. She stood and ran from the shop, trying to hide herself from prying eyes that thought they knew.

They knew nothing of her pain. Not even Sasuke knew.

She ran faster, knowing exactly where she was going.

{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}{*}

It was just turning twilight when she reached the compound. She slowed herself to a walk through the empty streets. The main house came into view. Hikari slowly opened the door.

She walked briskly to Itachi’s room. The door was open. She peered inside and saw a shape resting on the bed. The figure sat up and looked at her.

“Hikari?” She felt the tears come again.

The figure rose, reaching for her.

“Hikari?” Itachi’s voice rang in her ears. He hadn’t left yet after all.

She felt his hands on her shoulders as if she wasn’t there. He peered into her black pools.

“Hikari, what is it?” He brushed the hair from her face.

She could no longer speak. She fell forward against him.

“I can’t do this.” She whispered. “I can’t.”

“What can’t you do?”

“Everything.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The reason the chapter is called 'Darkened Mind' is because Hikari's last words in this chapter.