‹ Prequel: The Blank Book

Angel

Going Back Home

Billie and Tré started shaking Mike, trying to wake him up. They succeeded and Mike slowly opened his eyes, blinking.

“What happened?” he asked, getting up and putting a hand on his head.

“The bear was about to kill you when your eyes started to glow and it went flying through the air. Then you started floating and were glowing really brightly which must’ve caused you to pass out and fall,” Billie explained.

Mike rubbed his head. “Really?”

“Yeah—“ Tré started but was cut short by another voice.

“Nice work, boys.”

The three men turned around and saw none other than Angel.

“Why’d you make us go through that?” Billie asked her right away.

“So you could figure out new things about your powers,” Angel replied with a grin. “I was right, too. You and Mike both found out what I wanted you to find out.”

“You mean the super strength and super whatever it is that Mike does thing?” Tré asked.

“Yep,” Angel said, looking pleased with herself.

Mike hesitated for a moment before asking, “How did I do whatever it is I did?”

“Each of your guy’s true power is basically unlocked by something. For Tré it’s imagination, for Billie it’s anger, and for you, Mike, it’s your care for others.” Angel paused a moment before adding, “I’m not sure how often you’ll be able to do that and to what to degree. Also, if you ever do do that again, be careful. It uses up your energy, so if you over-exert yourself you’ll probably die.”

Mike’s eyes widened. “Okay...thanks for the warning.”

“Don’t worry, you’d probably stop yourself before that’d happen,” Angel reassured him, though Mike still looked a bit worried by her words.

“Hey there,” Tré said in a smooth voice to a hummingbird. He had gotten bored and had decided to transform into a hummingbird to see if he could sweet talk one. “Do you come here often?”

The hummingbird stopped sipping the nectar of a flower and turned to face Tré. He could’ve sworn it was glaring at him.

“I’m single,” Tré added.

The hummingbird flew at him and started pecking him. Tré flew away and transformed back to normal as the bird continued its attack, now pecking angrily at his head.

“Ahhhhhhh! Get it off me! Get it off me!” Tré shouted, waving his arms madly above his head and running in circles

“What’s with Tré?” Angel asked as she noticed him.

“Did something weird again,” Billie said, rolling his eyes.

“Ow! Ow!”

“Okay,” Angel said slowly as she followed Tré’s wild movements with her head. “But how’d he get a hummingbird to attack him?”

“Who knows, he’s Tré,” Billie sighed. Then he smirked. “And he was making fun of me when I was fighting the bear. Now he’s under the attack of a hummingbird.”

Tré ran in between the three. He had his hands put protectively over his head now and was still screaming.

“I think it’s time you guys go home now,” Angel finally said.

“Yeah.” Billie had a grin on his face, but then it faded as he remembered the day he would have to go back to.

Angel noticed and reached back and gingerly plucked a feather from one of her wings. She twirled it between her fingers a bit before silently handing it to Billie Joe. He took it and stared at it. It glinted a golden hue and it felt a little warm.

“It’ll help you feel a little better,” Angel told him.

“Thanks,” Billie replied, looking her in the eyes. She saw some of the happy glint return.

“No problem. Now let’s get you home.” Angel closed her eyes as Tré finally came over, the hummingbird finally gone and satisfied. She glowed slightly for a moment. When it passed, she opened her eyes and smiled to herself. They were gone and she was alone again.

“That was fun.”