‹ Prequel: The Blank Book

Angel

Busted

Billie Joe absent-mindedly fingered Angel’s feather as he stepped inside. The instant he walked in, Adrienne was there, a look of curiosity on her face.

“What are you doing back here?” she asked as he shut the door behind him. “I thought you said you were going to the cemetary.”

Billie stiffened up. ‘Busted.’ Then he relaxed a little, replying, “I forgot to eat before I left, so I came back to get something in my stomach.” To punctuate this statement, his stomach growled conveniently. It felt like forever since he’d last eaten.

“Okay…” his wife said doubtfully, eyeing him up and down. Just as he was about to relax completely, her eyes stopped on something. “Why are you holding a feather?”

“Oh, um, I found it on the ground, and thought it might be lucky…or something.” In his mind, he kicked himself. ‘Lucky?’

The silence seemed to draw out uncomfortably before Adrienne finally replied, “Fine. I know you’re not telling me something because you think that whatever it is isn’t my business.”

“It’s just…I don’t… You wouldn’t believe me…” he said quietly.

“Try me,” she said with her arms folded, a nonchalant look on her face.

Billie looked to the side, debating with himself inside his head. He wanted to tell her, it’s just he knew she would never believe him and would probably end up getting even madder at him for “lieing.” He let out a sigh, and without another word, went over to the refrigerator to find something to eat.

“I will find out sooner or later, you know. I don’t see why you’re trying to hide whatever it is that you are.” With that, Adrienne left the kitchen and went upstairs.

‘Great…this day’s just the best day ever.’

He decided on having some cereal and moodily ate it. He didn’t remain grumpy for long though, possibly due in part to Angel’s feather which made him feel better, but also because he was eating Lucky Charms and it just ruined the mood.

‘I wish I could tell her… Maybe later, after I know a bit more about Angel, I can ask her if it’s alright if Adie comes along…if that’s even possible.’

The thought cheered him up. It would make things easier, and he wouldn’t have to lie to her so much. He only hoped she would understand if one day he never came back…